What's the greatest amount of miles on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
My daughter routinely goes 18k miles (once a year) on her 2010 Fiesta. She goes by the OLM and all highway miles.

Dad needs to treat daughter to a Blackstone UOA with TBN. Put the results inside her Birthday Card and include a $50 Gift Card from Uncle Ed's Oil Change Shop..

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
My daughter routinely goes 18k miles (once a year) on her 2010 Fiesta. She goes by the OLM and all highway miles.

Dad needs to treat daughter to a Blackstone UOA with TBN. Put the results inside her Birthday Card and include a $50 Gift Card from Uncle Ed's Oil Change Shop..

She doesn't need the gift card. She changes her own oil (and does all her own repairs).

Last edited:
Guy I worked with years ago bought a brand new Chevy Cavalier -- had over 13,000 miles on factory oil change before I convinced him to change it.

I was the car maintainer.....did my Dad's V6 Buick wagon too.

Moved away and didn't think anything about cars except the one I was driving.

Went home for a major holiday and my question about oil changes produced a blank stare from dear old Dad.

A cup-and-a-half of black licorice colored stuff drained out.

BITOG wasn't to come into my life for years so I suffered alone, quietly.

That's why I'm an axe murderer today.

Originally Posted by Kira
I was the car maintainer.....did my Dad's V6 Buick wagon too.

Moved away and didn't think anything about cars except the one I was driving.

Went home for a major holiday and my question about oil changes produced a blank stare from dear old Dad.

A cup-and-a-half of black licorice colored stuff drained out.

BITOG wasn't to come into my life for years so I suffered alone, quietly.

That's why I'm an axe murderer today.

01.gif

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Guy I worked with years ago bought a brand new Chevy Cavalier -- had over 13,000 miles on factory oil change before I convinced him to change it.

But think of all the money he was saving LOL

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Knew a Lt. Col. in the Air Force that didn't believe in changing his oil. He thought adding a quart when it needed it was good enough. Traded in his Cadillac on a new one every so often. Never had an engine failure as far as I know.

somtimes the filter fails before the oil in long oci׳s.

We have people regularly doing 10,000-15,000 mile oil changes in this forum and 20,000+ not uncommon in the used oil analysis section.

I just went 22,000 miles on my Toyota sienna van. (2008) I use Mobil1 ep 5w-30 oil with a fram ultra oil filter. The van has 337,000 miles on it. I send used oil to Blackstone labs and they said I could go 23,000 miles. I'm going to go with 20,000 miles oci's going forward. The goal is 500,000 miles.The van does NOT use oil between oil changes. Not a bad engine all in all.

the earth travels approximately 584 million miles around the sun in one year - thats without driving the car anywhere! Those OCIs have more miles than you think
wink.gif

Originally Posted by billpace1956
I just went 22,000 miles on my Toyota sienna van. (2008) I use Mobil1 ep 5w-30 oil with a fram ultra oil filter. The van has 337,000 miles on it. I send used oil to Blackstone labs and they said I could go 23,000 miles. I'm going to go with 20,000 miles oci's going forward. The goal is 500,000 miles.The van does NOT use oil between oil changes. Not a bad engine all in all.

An engine that does not destroy an extended use premium motor oil !
Sad to see engines that pollute and dilute lubes with fuel wash from the cylinders.

Back in the day my single Mom bought a '69 Camaro with the 250 CID inline six. State inspections were every six months then, and an uncle was the service department foreman at the Chevy dealer, so the car was pampered. Then I went off to college and state inspections were extended to one year. One summer I came home and Mom reported that the idiot light was on and asked me to have a look. The oil was low and I topped it up, probably with conventional Quaker State SAE 30. The next day Mom reported that the idiot light was still on, so I asked when was the last time the oil was changed. She gave me a puzzled look and said "change the oil?" That car racked up about 18K annually, so I am thinking that the oil had anywhere from 9-18K on it at that point. I changed the oil the next day, and presto, the idiot light went out.

Actually I recall another amusing incident with that car at a younger age, when we pulled into a gas station and Mom asked the attendant to check the oil. The guy came back, dipstick in hand and said "lady, you have no oil!" It took three quarts to top it off on that occasion. Oddly enough that car went 250K before she sold it with no major engine work.

I remember seeing a Youtube video of a VW that went 20,000 miles on a single oil change. Looked awful when they drained it. Filter was completely gummed up.

A few BITOG users have gone 40,000 miles, I think they were running the super long life Amsoil oil and fllters, and they did top off with a quart or two in that period. Didn't have any problems.

2 days ago I helped a hot girl I know, she said her dash said "oil low/shut off engine." (She has a VW CC model) I thought, "It has a 'shut off engine' light? Uh Oh!" She said the light was only lit for a moment then turned off. Still, that's not good. The dipstick did not have any oil on it and smelled burned. I took her to get a quart of the 0w40 euro spec that the engine requires, and she scheduled a service appointment for this week. I asked her when the service is due and she said "now, I guess." We both laughed.

Personally the longest I have gone on oil is nearly 8,000 miles on my Tacoma 4-cylinder which has a capacity of 5.5 quarts (running Mobil 1 EP 5w30). Toyota recommends 5,000 miles on conventional, but I drive it gently and it gets up to full temp all the time so I've chosen to go longer on synthetic oil and quality filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back