2017-2019 GLA 250 4-Matic vs BMW X-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by HangFire
The better half is considering picking up a nearly new used compact utility, especially looking at these two. Has to be 4WD and the optional 3rd row is being considered.

Any actual experiences with either, or same engines, drivetrains, platforms, would be appreciated. Also any hard data out there on reliability.

Vehicle will be used for an hour-ish daily commute (each way) and weekend family trips for a family of 4.

Thank you!

They are both transverse engine, so really not "real" Mercedes or BMW. I drove X1 several times and it is OK. Aisin is programmed very well, probably best of all applications. N20 generation engine had some issues early in X3 and 328i F30 applications, but that has been resolved (timing chain tensioner). I personally would not consider any. X3 would be better option off lease as it is longitudinal application and has ZF transmission.
Mercedes utilizes Xaldex AWD like numerous other vehicles except that it seems that MB did best job in programming. However, their 4cyl engines are so so, and reliability seems worst of all German brands.
IMO, BMW X3, Audi Q5 are best options in that segment and they are definitely different league compared to appliance vehicles or wanna be luxury vehicles. If you could get off lease current generation X3 with B48 engine, would be best (if it fits budget). That engine is ridiculously frugal on gas.

Thanks, everyone. We're looking at the X1 and X3 now. Audi is kind of out due to no dealer existing along her commute. I'll mention the Mazda but it's her choice, I just get to veto anything considered unreliable.

Thanks, everyone. We're looking at the X1 and X3 now. Audi is kind of out due to no dealer existing along her commute. I'll mention the Mazda but it's her choice, I just get to veto anything considered unreliable.

What year you are considering X3? New X3 is dramatical improvement over previous one.

We are looking at 2-3 year old off-lease low mileage vehicles. So for the X3 thats both 2nd and 3rd gen, I guess.

Having looked at both, I have to say I prefer the X1 on the 2017 X3. The 2018 X3 trumps both, but is a pretty good jump up price-wise.

Had a chance to drive the X1 a bit more, with the runflat tires replaced. It is like a different car, so much so that if you go the BMW route, I'd replace them immediately even if they're new. It's much quieter and the handling is so much better. I know some folks are hung up on the sideways ending driving predominantly the front wheels, but personally I think it handles really well for the category.

She's leaning towards the 2018 X3 now. Will update when we get something, probably will wait a few paychecks and take our time looking for the best deal.

She's leaning towards the 2018 X3 now. Will update when we get something, probably will wait a few paychecks and take our time looking for the best deal.

Yep, I think 2018 X3 of all these cars is best choice.

Originally Posted by JOD
We are looking at 2-3 year old off-lease low mileage vehicles. So for the X3 thats both 2nd and 3rd gen, I guess.

Having looked at both, I have to say I prefer the X1 on the 2017 X3. The 2018 X3 trumps both, but is a pretty good jump up price-wise.

Had a chance to drive the X1 a bit more, with the runflat tires replaced. It is like a different car, so much so that if you go the BMW route, I'd replace them immediately even if they're new. It's much quieter and the handling is so much better. I know some folks are hung up on the sideways ending driving predominantly the front wheels, but personally I think it handles really well for the category.

X1 is good vehicle. But it is just not on par with longitudinal platforms, regardless whether it is old X3 or current one. Aisin in X1 is not nor it will ever be as good as ZF8 transmission, and weight distribution is almost perfect in X3 (depending on engine application. 4cyl is I think 50:50%).
Now interior in old X3 is an afterthought IMO, and steering is for BMW, awful. But, I would still take it over X1.

If I were going to throw reliability out the window, I'd buy a Stelvio, hands down, no questions asked. Stelvio>BMW. Just get a beast of a warranty.

Follow-up... we picked up a 2017 X-3 with 28K miles, had to go out of state to get one in "Melbourne Red Metallic" color and tan (er, "Sand Beige Nevada") leather interior. X-Drive, of course. It was an early lease turn-in, so have almost 2 and a half years of remaining warranty, unlimited miles. Wife (it's her car) opted for a maintenance package for the same duration, and wheel/tire insurance ($550 for 5 years before she bargained that down some). For the money we could have gotten a brand new, fully loaded Rav/4, but then we'd have given up 37 horsepower and the double kidney. This is not the kind of car I'd buy, but the wife is thrilled with it, and it's her car, but I certainly don't mind driving it. The 8 speed transmission is perfectly programmed, something other brands haven't always figured out yet.

The salesman said "you can tell the original owner had no kids, the rear seat is brand new with no booster seat marks" and indeed, it is. It has all usual stuff, Nav, power folding windows, double sized sunroof, one option everyone liked is the rear heated seats. So far we usually leave it in Comfort mode. The start/stop is the least intrusive I've ever driven, by the time my foot has moved from the brake to the gas pedal, the engine has fully started. (If I'm hating it, I can always put it in Sport mode.) It will idle in park, which is good, and will restart to run the A/C if needed. Wife's iPhone synced right up and it slurped up her contacts. I set my seat position and mirror on "2", she's still figuring all that out and adjusts manually.

Wife is very picky about vehicles, we've owned enough now she really knows what she wants. She's totally thrilled with the color and option combination, and that's what matters. I have 3 years to brush-up on BMW maintenance before I actually do any, so it's easy on me, too.

Tires (18") only have 7/32 so the drive-flat vs. standard tire issue is one we'll be facing in the next year.

x3sideview_10x7_175518730.jpg

Congrats! I raced an X3 or X1 the other night (I couldn't tell, it was dark). This post reminded me of that.

Last edited:
Follow-up... we picked up a 2017 X-3 with 28K miles, had to go out of state to get one in "Melbourne Red Metallic" color and tan (er, "Sand Beige Nevada") leather interior. X-Drive, of course. It was an early lease turn-in, so have almost 2 and a half years of remaining warranty, unlimited miles. Wife (it's her car) opted for a maintenance package for the same duration, and wheel/tire insurance ($550 for 5 years before she bargained that down some). For the money we could have gotten a brand new, fully loaded Rav/4, but then we'd have given up 37 horsepower and the double kidney. This is not the kind of car I'd buy, but the wife is thrilled with it, and it's her car, but I certainly don't mind driving it. The 8 speed transmission is perfectly programmed, something other brands haven't always figured out yet.

The salesman said "you can tell the original owner had no kids, the rear seat is brand new with no booster seat marks" and indeed, it is. It has all usual stuff, Nav, power folding windows, double sized sunroof, one option everyone liked is the rear heated seats. So far we usually leave it in Comfort mode. The start/stop is the least intrusive I've ever driven, by the time my foot has moved from the brake to the gas pedal, the engine has fully started. (If I'm hating it, I can always put it in Sport mode.) It will idle in park, which is good, and will restart to run the A/C if needed. Wife's iPhone synced right up and it slurped up her contacts. I set my seat position and mirror on "2", she's still figuring all that out and adjusts manually.

Wife is very picky about vehicles, we've owned enough now she really knows what she wants. She's totally thrilled with the color and option combination, and that's what matters. I have 3 years to brush-up on BMW maintenance before I actually do any, so it's easy on me, too.

Tires (18") only have 7/32 so the drive-flat vs. standard tire issue is one we'll be facing in the next year.

Start/Stop: Easy to program on BMW not to engage at all. You just need right tool, and if you know someone in BMW they might do it for you. Most loaners during service in BMW' dealerships are already reprogrammed not to engage (at least here).
When you wear out BridgeSTONES, and they will, fast, get some other brand if you want to stay with RFT. Michelin, Pirelli or Continental, all are MUCH better than Bridgestone RFT.
However, after they wear out I always go regular tires route and you can get spare and tools here:
www.bimmerzone.com
Also, BMW dealership might have spare and wheel and prices reflect those on internet. I paid for X5 donut wheel $129 in dealership and tire in DT $109. In dealership was $118, however I had deal in DT for set of regular 4 so got it there.
Also, get yourself Carly for BMW or download softwares from www.bimmergeeks.com so you can read out any potential codes or code European features on car that are blocked for US market. For example with Carly you can code to open windows when unlock, or close when lock. You can choose how long to hold for example unlock button in order for windows to open or sunroof. You can program lights, wiper intervals etc, etc. especially if car is equipped with comfort access.
Also, maintenance: 60k transfer case fluid and transmission fluid!

Thanks, everyone.

I'll only recode if my wife complains about it. For now the [censored] button beside the start/stop will do just fine.

Edyvw's post motivated me to get out and check the tires. The current runflats are not original equipment as I assumed.

They are Pirelli Cinterato P7 All Season, one with a DOT date of 40th week 2018 and the other 3 the 13th week of 2019. They are well matched between 7/32 to 7.5/32 of tread. Pirelli.com was not forthcoming, but tiresize.com says they originally came with 10/32 of tread. I figure they're at least half way through their lifetime, depending on how low we want to run the tread.

The finance guy when pushing the tire and wheel insurance said "those runflats run $450 a tire" well tirerack has them for $266, even with road force balancing that's in the low 300's. Then again, maybe the dealer charges that much? LOL I'll shop around, I figure we'll probably need some in a year, give or take, we drive a lot.

Thanks, everyone.

I'll only recode if my wife complains about it. For now the [censored] button beside the start/stop will do just fine.

Edyvw's post motivated me to get out and check the tires. The current runflats are not original equipment as I assumed.

They are Pirelli Cinterato P7 All Season, one with a DOT date of 40th week 2018 and the other 3 the 13th week of 2019. They are well matched between 7/32 to 7.5/32 of tread. Pirelli.com was not forthcoming, but tiresize.com says they originally came with 10/32 of tread. I figure they're at least half way through their lifetime, depending on how low we want to run the tread.

The finance guy when pushing the tire and wheel insurance said "those runflats run $450 a tire" well tirerack has them for $266, even with road force balancing that's in the low 300's. Then again, maybe the dealer charges that much? LOL I'll shop around, I figure we'll probably need some in a year, give or take, we drive a lot.

Run flats suck. The first thing they did at Spring Mountain was take them off and install PS2s, back when I took their corvette driving course.

Thanks, everyone.

Yeah, I think P7 is not OE tire (BMW uses Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Continental). If it is bought at dealership it will have RSC on the sidewall. So check for that marking.
Dealership is pretty good with spare parts, but they will kill on tires and stuff like that.
Maintenance package you got is IMO waste of money. I understand if wife wanted so you just did it, but regular wear items for BMW are not anymore expensive than for appliance vehicles, maybe add 10-20%. One thing I personally would never do in that turbo engine is used newer FE oils that BMW is pushing. I would ask them to use BMW TPT 5W30 LL01 oil (which is made by Shell).
One thing why you should consider software is if you keep car, you can basically do everything on your own. When changing battery in BMW you basically have to "tell" vehicle that you change it so that IBS adjust charging. Also, any fluid replacement in Transfer case or transmission has to be "reported" to the vehicle. Also, Carly for example can do battery registration, but also you can fallow live data from engine (most than you need). So in case you suspect that thermostat is failing (in BMW usually stays open) etc. you can check.

The X1 is a rebadged mini countryman. It would be significantly cheaper to buy one with a mini badge than a bmw badge - same engines 2wd/4wd option available just some people choose to pay 10-15k more for the same car with a different badge.

Originally Posted by Olas
The X1 is a rebadged mini countryman. It would be significantly cheaper to buy one with a mini badge than a bmw badge - same engines 2wd/4wd option available just some people choose to pay 10-15k more for the same car with a different badge.

Rebadged and detuned badly. Even the John Cooper model is significantly slower than an x1. X1 is pretty peppy. I was messing with one in my cx5 and it appeared a dead match for acceleration. Just fast enough to not be a snoozefest. The Cooper on the other hand isn't as inspiring.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Run flats suck. The first thing they did at Spring Mountain was take them off and install PS2s, back when I took their corvette driving course.

+1

Switching to regular tires made a night and day difference on my 328i. It handles and rides so much better, and the tires are much cheaper. I see zero advantage to run flats. You can drive maybe 1 mile at low speeds on them before they shred when they go flat, and pot holes around here cause them to blow out completely and shred even faster. The money saved between buying regular tires vs. run flats will pay for a spare tire + wheel and a tow truck/AAA membership.

Nice color!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back