Supertech vs Dexcool

I have a 2013 Impala with a 3.6 LFX engine at 102k miles and want to change the coolant. I was at Walmart looking got a concentrate coolant instead of 50/50 mix and saw they sell Supertech concentrate Extended Life 150,000 mile coolant. It doesn't say Dexcool anywhere on it but says compatible with most antifreeze regardless of color. Is this Dexcool equivalent or do I need something else?

gt6MJH8

I think it's one of those coolants that has a close formulation do DC, but not exact. Much like DC and the newer Mopar coolant. Close, but not exact. Heck, it could be a G05 clone. How would you know.

I'd run a coolant marketed as Dexcool.

Are you trying to save a few dollars? My GM dealer has AC Delco Dexcool concentrate by the case for $65 which is less than $11 a gallon. How much is the Walmart stuff?

It would probably work fine, i'm quite sure i remember having read that Supertech coolant is basically another "Dexclone" , meaning not officially Dexcool approved but as far as inhibitors go they are the same or very similar.

Keep it all Dexcool. You can't be saving much $$$ mixing with something else. My Walmart has Prestone Dex for 14 something and I get a jug of distilled water for $0.88. My independent wrench said he didn't like Dex when I requested it but it was because his customers never changed it and it jelled. You don't have to do a flush. You just drain what you can and replace it with new Dex.

Last edited:
The supertech coolant is the same as dexcool; 2-EHA based coolant. So other than the orange dye its the same.

Walmart does sell SuperTech DexCool concentrate in an orange sticker bottle. You don't need to buy the Universal Kind.

Personally I buy just Prestone DexCool since apparently that's what they use for the factory fill. Its $13 for the concentrate. You buy a $1 Gallon of Distilled water and now you have 2 Gallons of Dex Cool for ~$8 Each.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I think it's one of those coolants that has a close formulation do DC, but not exact. Much like DC and the newer Mopar coolant. Close, but not exact. Heck, it could be a G05 clone. How would you know.

I'd run a coolant marketed as Dexcool.

You would know it's an OAT or Dexclone coolant made by Old World Industries (aka Peak) by looking for the SDS.

So you can rest assured it won't be a problem. The modern AMAM type coolants are dyed flourescent green or yellow so that they won't change the colour of the factory coolant, so if you add it to a Dexcool filled system it'll retain it's proper orange colour.

Personally I buy just Prestone DexCool since apparently that's what they use for the factory fill.
Can anyone confirm which brand of DEX-COOL is used as factory fill? If it's currently Prestone, that was not the case a decade ago:
Here is the reply from Prestone: ... factory fill Dex-Cool that comes in GM vehicles is not a Prestone product

Perhaps it's Havoline/Texaco, the original DEX-COOL producer? See here:
So is Havoline the factory fill [DEX-COOL]?
It use to be. I can't say for sure if it is now.

Back