More 6.7 PSD engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may think this is deja vu from last summer with these pictures, but this Truck is it's twin. 2011 6.7 tunes/deleted with a 2017 ford Reman engine. Reman has 12,000 hours. Some of the same symptoms of last Truck (drinking coolant) but this one had a blue tinted haze from the exhaust with an overwhelming fuel odor that would burn your eyes. One DTC stored for #8 balance fault. Check power balance with IDS all looked ok (running smoothly). Relative compression test with IDS perfect. Checked injector balance rates and they were all over the place on 5 out of 8 cylinders. Installed OEM injector set and programmed IQA codes and still had the hazing although balance rates were greatly improved with the exception of 1 cylinder. Performed compression test and was 350-380 psi on all cylinders. Had inconsistent readings on one cylinder. Since this Truck had a coolant consumption problem I decided to pull the heads. Multiple blown spots on gaskets on both sides, sent heads to machine shop and asked them to tear them down and check everything. They said all the intake valves looked like they were sealing poorly and had large amount of carbon buildup on seats and guides. Complete valve job with new seals, knurled guides And had to take .010 off the heads to clean them up. Reassembled with new lifters (several rollers had bad spots in them) new gaskets with ARP studs. Blue haze is gone and exhaust odor is greatly reduced. Expensive repair on this truck.

Worth noting, the block really needed decking due to some pitting but due to time constraints on me and customer my boss and customer decided to "take a gamble". Much higher cost and down time that Could not be afforded at this time to keep the truck out for several months (I'm having surgery next week). Customer was OK with all of it. Enjoy.

074CCB94-ADB8-46A3-AB90-9F921EA1A24F.jpeg

A977116B-6194-4877-A31B-0F79BDB25B1F.jpeg

0CA34464-2C79-4A51-8057-70E13977EA46.jpeg

BD741D51-288E-4E42-966A-EF1F5ECF3B4D.jpeg

86BD974E-B143-4930-A5BF-6354BDB21233.jpeg

9942DB95-6BD4-4EF2-962A-3766C43F752C.jpeg

9827A32E-1C3D-4C35-9B95-CADAA9E1410A.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoa! What a wild design. Very interesting in every way, including the rocker arms and the "hot v". Too bad you had to knurl the valve guides. I've not had great results with longevity with knurled guides.

That makes me really appreciate the simplicity of the Cummins 5.9L setup.

Last edited:
Ford remans are not what they used to be, which is why I do everything in house now (other than machine work).

This engine warranty is void from the day it was installed due to the modifications.

The machine shop decided to knurl the guides instead of replacing them.

They pile on the hours , about 4000 hours per year, but it's perspective it's wel over 300,000 miles. And yes this engine is a very unique design

Last edited:
I would put some Bars Leak tablets in the cooling system,

Some Motorcraft PM22A in the fuel tank,

And consider running B20 (20% biodiesel) as fuel...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/fuel+&+air,fluid+/+chemical,fuel+conditioner,1001881

Weird that RockAuto lists AC Delco leak tablets (relabeled Bars tablets) as
"Hardware Cooler"...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/general+motors,12378255,hardware+cooler,2092

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Might be time to switch to gas power.

This. Fuel economy will be awful in something so heavy but it'll be far cheaper to keep a gasser on the road.

Originally Posted by dogememe

This. Fuel economy will be awful in something so heavy but it'll be far cheaper to keep a gasser on the road.
Ford PSDs should be banned from the public sector. What a waste!

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I would put some Bars Leak tablets in the cooling system,

Some Motorcraft PM22A in the fuel tank,

And consider running B20 (20% biodiesel) as fuel...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/fuel+&+air,fluid+/+chemical,fuel+conditioner,1001881

Biodiesel is not an option. No stations in the area.

No cooling will system sealer will be used either. If there is a problem I'll fix it correctly.

Originally Posted by Chris142
You will be lucky if you get 20000 miles out of knurled guides.

If that becomes the case the machine shop will be eating the bill

AFAIK there are no ambulance manufacturers with this size box that offer a truck without a diesel. It's all Cummins or PSDs with some Duramaxes in the MD GM chassis. Most trucks that you buy now are either F550 or a dodge 5500

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Great work and photos MattD
smile.gif

Thank You and prayers for a successful surgery and recovery
thumbsup2.gif

+1. Hope that goes well.

Originally Posted by mattd

The engine rebuild shop I do welding for is top flight. I don't know if they knurl valve guides, but if knurled valve guides are a problem why do they do it if it's a risk and the customer pays regardless?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by mattd

The engine rebuild shop I do welding for is top flight. I don't know if they knurl valve guides, but if knurled valve guides are a problem why do they do it if it's a risk and the customer pays regardless?
21.gif

The machine shop we use is the best in the state. They have knurled guides for us in the past without an issue. But as I stated if it becomes the case where they fail, they stand behind their work.

And to add to my post about ambulance manufacturers I mean, Horton, Osage, wheeled coach, PL customs, Frazier bilt, and E One.

Last edited:
Wow, I did not mean to sound the alarm with knurled guides. Clearly they work. Nor am I sure what options you might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back