Royal purple oil filters have gone downhill?

Originally Posted by Sprite
I'm more of a lurker when it comes to things like this so I'll research something and kind of forget about it. 8 years ago I probably did some research and landed on royal purple oil filters and just kept buying it. I change my oil every 9 months ish so 20 dollars every 9 months seemed reasonable.

Anyway, here I am back in research mode and I landed on Fram Ultra. Enjoy your morning laugh at my expense
smile.gif

As long as you're not a four wheeler, or drive on gravel roads a lot, the Ultra is the way to go. But, if you ever drive on gravel (or roads that are turning into gravel like here in Cincinnati), better keep a really close eye on that Ultra! I dodged a bullet with a slightly oversized XG3600 on my wife's xB, something bounced up & took out a chunk of Sure Grip-and there was ZERO paint under it, started rusting fast.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
As long as you're not a four wheeler, or drive on gravel roads a lot, the Ultra is the way to go. But, if you ever drive on gravel (or roads that are turning into gravel like here in Cincinnati), better keep a really close eye on that Ultra! I dodged a bullet with a slightly oversized XG3600 on my wife's xB, something bounced up & took out a chunk of Sure Grip-and there was ZERO paint under it, started rusting fast.

I thought you were going to say the rock made a dent that looked serious.

Wouldn't any filter have the paint or coating chipped off by that rock and be in the same danger as the one you installed?

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Sorry to laugh at you.... but what made you think a $20 junk oil filter from RP was any good in the first place? There are so many better filters out there for less money than these "pretty" purple pieces of junk....

lol.gif

Hello all, I've been using Royal Purple oil filters for the past 8ish years and it seems the quality has gone down hill.

RP never made filters, these are a premium Champ labs filter. Champ has been the best filter manufacturer in my 50 + years experience if we disregard the E- core garbage.

I would never pay 20 bucks for a somewhat improved filter. 10 buck yes.

If I can get something at a store, I will go there, touch it look at it and THEN maybe purchase it.

Hey you always have K&N oil filters
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

I thought you were going to say the rock made a dent that looked serious.

Wouldn't any filter have the paint or coating chipped off by that rock and be in the same danger as the one you installed?

Yes-BUT-the Ultra can is thin, thinner than even the Premium Guard Chinesium filters-and there is a chance that road debris could poke a hole in one. Notice in my sig that the only 4X4 with an Ultra is the XJ, and the filter is in a relatively well protected place above the front crossmember. And, yes, there was a good sized dent, right on the edge of the dome, that would eventually have failed from rust and/or metal fatigue. Any filter can have road damage, but it's pretty obvious that can strength is one of the Ultra's few weaknesses. I had pictures on Photobucket, but they're blurred out due to "too much bandwidth".

I had pictures on Photobucket, but they're blurred out due to "too much bandwidth".

Blurred out because Photobucket are robbers.
eek.gif

You can upload photos directly to this site.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I had pictures on Photobucket, but they're blurred out due to "too much bandwidth".

eek.gif

I know, I've done it. Fortunately I quit using them the last few years, so all my photos on there are pretty old.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105

No laughing here. Lot's to learn on this site. Keep in mind though, the majority of site dwellers are bang for buck focused and cheapskates.

01.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

No laughing here. Lot's to learn on this site. Keep in mind though, the majority of site dwellers are bang for buck focused and cheapskates.

01.gif

The most factual thing posted on here today, by far.

I'm more of a lurker when it comes to things like this so I'll research something and kind of forget about it. 8 years ago I probably did some research and landed on royal purple oil filters and just kept buying it. I change my oil every 9 months ish so 20 dollars every 9 months seemed reasonable.

Anyway, here I am back in research mode and I landed on Fram Ultra. Enjoy your morning laugh at my expense
smile.gif

Been there in this "research mode" (which has nothing to do with a real research btw) until I've realized the difference between brands is so minimal that it doesn't matter. is there a problem you're trying to solve?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

eek.gif

I know, I've done it. Fortunately I quit using them the last few years, so all my photos on there are pretty old.

The trick there is to right click on the image and open image in new tab. Crystal clear then.

I went to PEP BOYS in Florida while I was there, they had a few Royal Purple filters left, but they were closing them out.

Louvers look ok to me too, and bidirectional so only half actual openings seen. I'd bet money, remove all or part of media, put a flashlight on outlet hole, plenty of opening. Probably at least as much as many/most hole centertubes, or more. I'd use it.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You can't see half of them. Can you ?

The louvers are opened in opposite directions. The ones opened to the downside are the ones you cannot see. The picture of the tube shows it better.

I'm guessing the engineers designed the openings for the best flow.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Louvers look ok to me too, and bidirectional so only half actual openings seen. I'd bet money, remove all or part of media, put a flashlight on outlet hole, plenty of opening. Probably at least as much as many/most hole centertubes, or more. I'd use it.

Originally Posted by Sayjac

I think I'm going to cut this one open. I'd like to know for sure.

Back