Ratcheting Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by P10crew
I've been using Gear Wrench in all iterations and I like them. No complaints

Same here. No problems in 4+ years of daily use of various Gear Wrench ratchets, wrenches, and sockets. Well, except sometimes the 10mm seems to grow legs and run away.

Same here. No problems in 4+ years of daily use of various Gear Wrench ratchets, wrenches, and sockets. Well, except sometimes the 10mm seems to grow legs and run away.[/quote

Oh yeah I don't know what the deal is with 10mm but I'm on replacement replacements.

Originally Posted by dawgn86
Originally Posted by drtyler
Originally Posted by dawgn86
Try Tekton. Made in America

Nope, their ratcheting wrenches are made in Taiwan per their website.

Wow. I stand corrected. However, I have several of their wrenches and are pleased with them.

You may have been thinking about some of their pliers or screwdrivers. Western Forge I think? I have a few pliers with WL or WK casted in them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Trav

Getting a 6 point tool be it socket or wrench can be a PITA in a tight spot. When have you ever had a 12 point wrench slip unless the fastener head was damaged? I never have, some cheap tools may because they are not sized properly.

Interesting... I might have guessed the opposite. All my (inherited) SO sockets are 6 point.

The only 6-point wrenches I own are specialty for FU'ed situations....And only smaller sizes like 1/4", 7mm, 8mm/5/16". I do own quite a collection of 12 point sockets for Diesels & Dress-up hardware....People love to buy 12 point ARP bolts.

My only hard rule is to never use a 12 point on a GM side post battery terminals!

That and the 10mm flanged drain plug on GM 4 bangers … 6 point long handle

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Get the ICON - these are some excellent quality tools and priced right especially with the 20% ICON tool coupon. I just bough the big as a car tool box lol. Got the 73" cabinet, top hutch/workstation, stainless top and both end units. Used the special ICON 20% coupon on each piece (bought a piece every day) and paid a little over $10k for an amazing box. Every bit as good as a snap on box for probably $20k less. ICON is going to wake up the tool trucks and HF is getting into the financing game too this year.

I was playing with a Demo/Floor ICON tool box just the other day.....I couldn't get the top "wide" drawer to act right no matter how I adjusted the detents. The drawer would not pull from only one end. I had to pull from the center & even then it required to much force.

Not that I'm in love with the Snap-on "Lock & Roll" plastic slider thing & the EPIQ boxes are even more stupidly priced than the Masters Series, HF should have copied the EPIQ latch style drawer release.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Blue Point are great quality at a decent price and good warranty.

Agree.....I have a Metric & Standard set of Taiwan made reversible Blue Point ratcheting wrenches. As I bought them with a used Roll Cart they were pretty much free, I beat the snot out of them. Haven't had to warranty any so far.

From about 2006-2010....Snap-on forged a lot of tools that didn't have USA cast in them, Even though they were in fact forged in the USA. This got the internet rumor mill going & these tools can be picked up cheap.

Williams has them also with a flex head, made in Taiwan so I am guessing they are the same as Blue Point. Abalox has them in all the single sizes but I didn't see a set.

I have a couple sets of GearWrench ratcheting combination wrenches. I mostly use them on my vintage Lawn Boys, but also used a couple sizes replacing the rear suspension on my mother-in-law's car. They work just fine for me. My local Rural King has them in 5 wrench packs for $20 SAE or metric.

L8R,
Matt

I have a couple sets of GearWrench, and a set of Stanleys from walmart. I have never had a failure, but the stanleys feel better made. I do like how easily the GearWrench units "ratchet" which is nice when a fastener turns very easily, and I don't have to put my finger on it to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back