Conventional VS Synthetic In The Winter Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olas, if this is a Group 3 vs Group 4 discussion, please start your own posting instead of trying to hi-jack BlueOval's and go ahead and write a letter to Pennzoil.
coffee2.gif

8B0E4C5E-30DA-4AA1-8E61-DE0C2BB3F897.jpeg

Last edited:
Had both the conventional and synthetic been produced with the same cst@ temps, then the overnight test would be a more correct challenge.

So try this test with a brand name that has a thicker synthetic than it's counterpart conventional next time. Then the test results would become 180 degrees opposite.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Had both the conventional and synthetic been produced with the same cst@ temps, then the overnight test would be a more correct challenge.

So try this test with a brand name that has a thicker synthetic than it's counterpart conventional next time. Then the test results would become 180 degrees opposite.

I think the point here is the Pennzoil conventional has a CCS viscosity of 5950 mPa s and the Pennzoil full synthetic has a CCS viscosity of 4450 mPa s both at -30 C as they were both 5w30 oils. Unless someone makes a conventional oil with a CCS viscosity of 4450, the synthetic oil will pour out faster as in the video. I took the data from www.pennzoil.com .

Last edited:
I'm sure glad my motor has a motor driven pump, to distribute the oil thru out the motor instead of a coffee cup. As long as there's a coating of leftover oil on the internal parts, no matter how cold it is, there will be lubrication on a cold start. If it didn't, you might only get a 10 start lifespan on your motor. In the temps the guy was talking about, a low or dead battery will cause you more grief then how fast pumped oil will flow.,,,

Originally Posted by Olas
Pennzoil don't make any full synthetics. Video and title are disingenuous.

Well it is a synthesized oil, but its just a form of alkane, the molecule must be branched given its low temp pumpability.

Now if Mobil 1 5W30, you may be correct, though I don' know the latest base stock blend.

Now for t the REAL elephant in the room ...

Winter in La ?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Or you could state that about two dozen motor oils … but you don't

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Olas
Pennzoil don't make any full synthetics. Video and title are disingenuous.

Well it is a synthesized oil, but its just a form of alkane, the molecule must be branched given its low temp pumpability.

Now if Mobil 1 5W30, you may be correct, though I don' know the latest base stock blend.

Now for t the REAL elephant in the room ...

Winter in La ?
smile.gif

Isn't that when it gets below 50F? I don't know how one handles the humidity in summer there, it's bad enough here! And Group III or GTL makes a fine synthetic base stock, unless "im Deutschland"!

Olas said:

The latest SDS I've seen for plain jane Mobil1 5w30, is less than 10% PAO, 10-20% GTL, and the rest would probably be hydrocracked crude.

there are synthetics + there are real synthetics, BUT even the cleaner more refined fake synthetics trump conventionals for a minimal cost. where real synthetics come into play is extreme conditions, as for cold temps i seen a graph on machinery lubrication showing that real synthetics thicken at a MUCH SLOWER rate in the cold + REMEMBER the cold spec is at 40C IS 104F so your typical group III is ALREADY thicker setting outside in your oil pan than the SPEC shows. the question is do you really need oil that costs 2 to 3 times more $$$. another reason to NOT extend changes as the additives "GO AWAY" with time + miles so the pour point depressants + viscosity improvers are less!!

Interesting points ^^^^^

Many people forget what you are saying in that last sentence.... All oils are allowed to slip a W garde while in service... So a 5w can become a 10w... A 0w can become a 5w...

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I think the point here is the Pennzoil conventional has a CCS viscosity of 5950 mPa s and the Pennzoil full synthetic has a CCS viscosity of 4450 mPa s both at -30 C as they were both 5w30 oils. Unless someone makes a conventional oil with a CCS viscosity of 4450, the synthetic oil will pour out faster as in the video. I took the data from www.pennzoil.com .

Great point snagg.... All this video does is justify and verify the CCS results given by Pennzoil... And that BOTH of those oils would be just fine in service.

Right. Better chose a grade colder than you anticipate. For example, and I found out the hard way, that a 5w30 Dexos showed zero oil pressure at -40 for about a minute on start up.

Typically I save the synthetics for winter.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Olas said:

The latest SDS I've seen for plain jane Mobil1 5w30, is less than 10% PAO, 10-20% GTL, and the rest would probably be hydrocracked crude.

I'm sure even like it is right now it will be more than adequate for most situations.

It does have one of the lowest CCS numbers - I assume most folks get syn oil for good cold cranking.

Me, I want unstuck rings.

I don't go out in the car if its below -15F (-26C) anymore.

I've ruined: water pump seals, alternator bearings, wheel bearings and PS pumps doing that -

all on fairly new cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back