Chain style for ag tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Restoring a '69 Sears Suburban SS12, decided to go with Deestone ag tires on the rear, was curious to what style of chains you think would work best for plowing snow, 2 link, 4 link, euro style? It's a gravel driveway on a decent incline. Whatever style I go with, I plan on getting v-bars.

Between ballast and wheel weights, each wheel has an added 80 lbs.

Thanks,
puma4440

4 link v bar is what I run on ags...sounds like we have about the same driveway...gravel and a fairly decent uphill grade.....might spin just a little on ice but the chains grab and no problems

I have had chains on a few garden tractors and 2 link chains are generally the best.

I word of caution on the ag tires. They work great in the dirt, but turf tires with chains actually work better in the snow.
On ags with chains, most of the chain will be falling in the valley between the v bars, with less actually making contact with the ground.
If you but chains on a smooth turf tire, the full width if the tire will be pushing the chains onto the ground.

Originally Posted by cronk
I have had chains on a few garden tractors and 2 link chains are generally the best.

I word of caution on the ag tires. They work great in the dirt, but turf tires with chains actually work better in the snow.
On ags with chains, most of the chain will be falling in the valley between the v bars, with less actually making contact with the ground.
If you but chains on a smooth turf tire, the full width if the tire will be pushing the chains onto the ground.

That's why I was considering the euro style. The bars on the tires are 5/8" high at most.

Originally Posted by puma4440
Originally Posted by cronk

That's why I was considering the euro style. The bars on the tires are 5/8" high at most.

I actually just had to Google the Euro style, as I have never heard of them before.
Looking at pics of the Euro style, they look like they would put even less metal in contact with the ground.
2 link chains will have the most cross lengths of chain, so I think they would still be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back