2014 GMC Terrain 2.4L AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my SIL was asking me about new tires for her 2014 GMC Terrain AWD(~ 50K miles) to replace the OE Firestone Destination(non LE-2).

This Terrain has 235-60-17 OE and the door placard verifies this...Meaning, not the usual 225-65-17 that I've seen on most Equinox/Terrain.

She is retired and doesn't pile on miles but does want a nice riding tire with good all weather traction. She doesn't want a dedicated SUV tire as this Terrain is essentially a big car.

So we looked at tires locally and online. This size(either 225 of 235) is quite an expensive tire size for her. I originally recommended the Firestone Destination LE-2 but have changed my mind to the General AltiMAX RT43 in her size(102H).

I have used the RT43s on my wife's '01 Lexus RX300 V6 AWD(~3900 lbs) and we liked them very much. I am going by my own experience with these RT43s on a similar weighted vehicle and I do recommend them for her. The Terrain is about the same weight(within 100 lbs) and I just want to hear from others before she buys.

Not saying that I'll be changing my mind for tires as she mostly travels short distances and an occasional highway trip(160-170 mile round trip) now & again to see grandkids.

Thanks,

CB

Originally Posted by userfriendly
I would move up to a 235/65/17 in a Toyo AT II or equivalent. That tire weighs 34 lbs, where the Firestone destination AT only weighs 28.

www.tiresize.com

Why?
Thank You!
You can choose so if you like but, I am talking about a 65 yr old woman here. She's not into railway & motor sport. It's more along the lines of home decor & gardening!
That doesn't pertain to anything that I mentioned in my post!

Last edited:
For the New York winters the RT43 is going to be the best combination for value and traction. A Conti Truecontact tour would be right up there as well be is going to be higher priced. The LE2's just don't have the wet traction compared to other tires and the previous Destinations, a Firestone All season would be the most comparable to what she had on there if she has to stay with stones.

Thanks msmoke00!
No, she doesn't have to stay with any particular brand/model.
I personally like the idea of the ContinentalTrueContactTour(and am considering them for me). However, in her size(235-60-17) the CTCT's are only available in "T" speed rating(I double checked 3 sites). When in fact the vehicle came equipped with "H" speed rated tires and the door placard verifies this. Most shops look at the placard before installing to be sure.

And as mentioned earlier, whether buying locally or online. we'll have issues with the installer putting on less than an "H" rated tire. A waiver may have to be signed and it's just not worth it. Every installer seems to be concerned about lawsuits. I guess I can't blame them as everybody seem to be suing everyone else for wrongful doing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
Given the choices, I would go for the TrueContact Tour. The PureContact is not available in that size.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I personally like the idea of the ContinentalTrueContactTour(and am considering them for me). However, in her size(235-60-17) the CTCT's are only available in "T" speed rating(I double checked 3 sites). When in fact the vehicle came equipped with "H" speed rated tires and the door placard verifies this. Most shops look at the placard before installing to be sure.

^^^As I mentioned earlier, the CTCT are only available in "T" speed rating in her size.
Also mentioned earlier, whether buying locally or online. we'll have issues with the installer putting on less than an "H" rated tire. A waiver may have to be signed and it's just not worth it. Every installer seems to be concerned about lawsuits. I guess I can't blame them as everybody seem to be suing everyone else for wrongful doing.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
The RT43 scores well in everything that I read. If price is important, take a look at what Kumho has in her sizes.

Thank you but, nothing comes up in her size &/or speed rating that is desirable. In our circle of family & friends, our experience with Kumho hasn't been great.

Kumho's seem OK at first but then, 15K-20K mile later they're junk. Sometime only 10K miles...Great tires & price if one is putting tires on a vehicle that they're selling soon. They give a good/positive test drive and decent year or so for the other buyer.

235/65/17 Toyo AT IIs went on my daughter's 2014 4wd Escape for the nanny to drive the brats around in.
My choice of tire had nothing to do with the railroad or interest in motor sports.

Not necessarily in this order of importance;

Wet, dry, ice & snow traction.
Good handling & long life.
No flat tires.
Value/price.

Like grannie, I'm also 65.

I've had something like 14-16 of the Generals on 3 different vehicles, everything from a Lumina to a heavy KIA minivan and they were great. I would buy still more if needed. We got a real life 50k out of them easy.

Ditto on Kumho's. They came on our KIA and were absolutely shot in 30k. Awful.

Thanks everyone, RT43's it is!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back