Spark plug gap f

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the spark plugs from the local store and turn out that only 2 off them was .001mm difference than correct specification. I have already installed them in the car and have not started the car yet. The reason I didn't want to gap them lower is because chances of damaging them.

Do I need to worry about.001 mm?

Their gap will be too wide 13.465 days sooner. Up to you...
crackmeup2.gif

Something off with the units. How are you measuring down to 0.001 mm? You need a microscope.

typical gap tolerance is 0.005". 1mm is ~.040". 0.001mm is ~0.0004". way to small to worry about,

even if you mistyped and it was 0.001" you would still be fine.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
typical gap tolerance is 0.005". 1mm is ~.040". 0.001mm is ~0.0004". way to small to worry about,

even if you mistyped and it was 0.001" you would still be fine.

You missed a 0, 0.001mm is 0.00004
crazy2.gif
you need a CMM in a climate controlled area to measure microns like that, as simply holding it in your hand will cause it to change size.

But yeah.... I wouldn't worry about a few thou/0.1mm

Originally Posted by csandste
Now THIS is an interesting post.

Will it evolve into a discussion of spark plug indexing?
23.gif

I have several spark plug gapping tools and each one gives a slightly different gap reading on the same plug....so I doubt .001 is a critical difference.

I dont think the OP was correct about his .001mm.

He likely meant 0.01mm or possibly 0.1mm given the tool used

And It's not a wire gauge or a ramp gauge

Plus do you know where the GND is actually positioned when heated over 1000degF?

Now you are in trouble with a 1mm difference!

Did you misstype again?

How bout inches seeing you are in Tenn!

on a dash 11 plug, if you are gapped .037" - .045" you are good.

Last edited:
Many vehicle manufacturers will give a range for the spark plug gap so your small discrepancy will not matter at all. Run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back