Costco requiring membership for food court

They always should have required membership. People will still game it by giving the membership card to others and pay cash. I see people paying cash at Costco all the time, hundreds of dollars, I think this is why, cheapskates who won't get their own card.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
They always should have required membership. People will still game it by giving the membership card to others and pay cash. I see people paying cash at Costco all the time, hundreds of dollars, I think this is why, cheapskates who won't get their own card.

There aren't any Visa Cards that give high$$$ Cash Back like Mastercard, which Costco opposes. I would love to have a Costco Visa Card. But I'm not getting one - when I only spend $900-$1200 a year on a Costco Credit Card, inside the warehouse. I already have two credit cards and do not want a 3rd Credit Card

Also, I do not buy - nor want to sit in a long Costco gas line that are several vehicles deep, to boost dollar values on a Costco Visa Credit Card that only pays 1% on my 2nd party food sources, clothing, household items and gas purchases.
No thank you. If Costco wants me as a primary member, they must allow my Mastercard Credit Card. My Mastercard pays me 2% on everything I buy and 3% at any fuel station.
That's why I pay $900-$1200 in cash every year to Costco. I am certainly not a cheapskate. I am smart enough to know the Costco Credit Card sucks, outside of a Costco retailer. I refuse to have my wallet filled with specialty credit cards that only pay good rewards at one particular retailer.

No way Jose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

There aren't any Visa Cards that give high$$$ Cash Back like Mastercard, which Costco opposes. I would love to have a Costco Visa Card. But I'm not getting one - when I only spend $900-$1200 a year on a Costco Credit Card, inside the warehouse. I already have two credit cards and do not want a 3rd Credit Card

Also, I do not buy - nor want to sit in a long Costco gas line that are several vehicles deep, to boost dollar values on a Costco Visa Credit Card that only pays 1% on my 2nd party food sources, clothing, household items and gas purchases.
No thank you. If Costco wants me as a primary member, they must allow my Mastercard Credit Card. My Mastercard pays me 2% on everything I buy and 3% at any fuel station.
That's why I pay $900-$1200 in cash every year to Costco. I am certainly not a cheapskate. I am smart enough to know the Costco Credit Card sucks, outside of a Costco retailer. I refuse to have my wallet filled with specialty credit cards that only pay good rewards at one particular retailer.

Actually the Costco Citi Visa is 4% on gas at ANY station, 3% restaurants and travel, 2% at Costco, and 1% anywhere else. I supplement mine with a Citi Double Cash (2% on everything). Between using the two cards I get 2-4% back on everything. BTW, I think a lot of people don't realize you can just take the yearly Costco reward certificate into the Costco service desk and get cash for it, you don't have to spend it there. In fact, even if you do want to spend it there you are still better off taking the cash and charging your card so you get 2% back!

Originally Posted by ABursell

Actually the Costco Citi Visa is 4% on gas at ANY station, 3% restaurants and travel, 2% at Costco, and 1% anywhere else. I supplement mine with a Citi Double Cash (2% on everything). Between using the two cards I get 2-4% back on everything. BTW, I think a lot of people don't realize you can just take the yearly Costco reward certificate into the Costco service desk and get cash for it, you don't have to spend it there. In fact, even if you do want to spend it there you are still better off taking the cash and charging your card so you get 2% back!

Plus if you have the Executive Membership, you get another 2% back on all purchases at Costco in addition to the credit card incentives. There have been a few years they paid me to have the membership!

The two Costco gas stations I go to open at 5:30am, and have lines at that time. If I arrive about 10 minutes later the lines are down enough I usually just pull up to an unoccupied pump.
Their price beats local stations by $.40/gal.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by ABursell

Plus if you have the Executive Membership, you get another 2% back on all purchases at Costco in addition to the credit card incentives. There have been a few years they paid me to have the membership!

Yep- I just got my (CostCo) rebate check for $593.00. I'll take the "free money".

Originally Posted by CKN

Yep- I just got my (CostCo) rebate check for $593.00. I'll take the "free money".

Good score...
I got like $850 because I was able to put some big purchases on my card.
Wifey asked for a Roomba. Dunno much about 'em. $450 on sale at Costco. Ouch!
But it entertains the cats. Works pretty darn good, if ya ask me.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by CKN

Good score...
I got like $850 because I was able to put some big purchases on my card.
Wifey asked for a Roomba. Dunno much about 'em. $450 on sale at Costco. Ouch!
But it entertains the cats. Works pretty darn good, if ya ask me.

There's the credit card rebate, and then the executive level rebate check. Those incentives aside, I rarely beat the value in the item Costco is offering.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
WinCo foods is a big warehouse employee owned chain here in the PacNW. I think they're based in ID. Anyhow, they're about as cheap price wise as it gets. It's kind of a frenzied shopping experience, which I'm not fond of, and you bag your own groceries. But it's hard to beat, even for Costco, their day to day prices and you don't do memberships. But like I said, it's pretty bare bones shopping.. don't expect employees roaming around offering to assist you. The checkers there can make good money and since it's employee owned they do some ESOP thing I think.

WinCo is pretty big. But they're cash or debit only. Maybe they take checks too?

However, they're mostly groceries. They certainly wouldn't have the breadth of different types of merchandise that Costco has - especially clothing. I do remember seeing $1 pizza specials at one I've been to. They also had a $4.99 rotisserie chicken, but about half the size of what Costco has and it looked like it had been sitting there for 8 hours. Costco's turnover on those rotisserie chickens is ridiculously fast. I've even been there waiting for more to come out.

My wife joined Sams Club when we did concessions for youth soccer and softball a few years ago. We did save a ton of money when buying BULK supplies and foods for the concession sales for several years.

After that time passed, since we already had the membership, we continued with Sams but only bought items for our home use. Several years later, she examined the spreadsheets and saw the savings were minimal after we transitioned to buying home food and supplies only. The minimal savings (and $1.50 hot dogs) were no where near enough to put up with the hassle of fighting super long lines and trying to make trash cardboard boxes serve as grocery bags.

We quit Sams Club and have not missed it one bit.

Paying a memership fee in order to buy in bulk is a suckers game. I need a tube of toothpaste...why not buy 5...You needed 1..yet you just spend $15 on 5...You could have bought 1 for $2... Skip the Membership Stores and save your money.

Fwiw, I never saw any advantage to shopping at Costco. Their prices didn't impress nor did the quality of the foods or any other products that they carried.

49.gif

Originally Posted by JustinH
does someone really want to go out of their way to get a dollar hot dog, if they aren't already in costco shopping?

I used to work at a company that use the costco pizzas for team building, cheap skate but nobody complained.

Costco is a pretty good place to work for. After approximately 3 years you can top out around $27/hour ($41 on Sundays). They have very good benefits too. Stepping up to salaried positions is not too hard, but the extra hours put in has to be considered, along with the extra stress. https://futurefuel.io/employee-benefits/costco-careers/
There are many good reasons to spend your money at COSTCO ! The employees do seem happy. Money is the only power most people have yet most foolishly waste it.

Costco has 8-9 products I routinely buy, that I cannot find anywhere else. My daughter provides me with free membership.

I would buy Costco gas, if I could find a Visa card that's anywhere near the same Cash-Back allowances I get with my two Mastercards. Besides, I'm too impatient waiting in those long gas lines.
And some of those you can buy on eBay or Amazon for the same price at Costco....

does someone really want to go out of their way to get a dollar hot dog, if they aren't already in costco shopping?
My wife.

She work 1 block away from Costco, and she goes with her coworkers there all the time for "lunch break". Then again she is also the kind of people who will pay more for a motel with free breakfast so she can have "free breakfast".

Back