FL820S C&P BAD GLUE JOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
FL820S on 2019 F250 6.2L 8,841 miles. 6,393 oil change with Mobil 1 5W30. Replaced with Wix 51372. No tears in media, but neither end cap was attached to the media. The glue was hard and brittle and did not ahere to the metal caps at all. The tear in the ADBV was from me cutting the filter open. I think i'm done with Motocraft filters and going to stick with Wix.

20200222_130456.jpg

20200222_130526.jpg

20200222_130517.jpg

20200222_130507.jpg

20200222_130457.jpg

20200222_130539.jpg

20200222_130532.jpg

Not good
That why I'm running a M1 filter now on my 2018 6.2L

Did you refill with M1 ?

Last edited:
No I went with Havoline Pro Ds 5W30 smart change $42.34 for 12 quarts delivered to my door in 2 days for free. I have been using Mobil 1 for years but I wanted to give Havoline a try. So far so good.

I've stopped running the Motorcraft filters on my Lightning because of the things I've seen the past few years. Switched over to Wix. I've also started cutting open my filters as of last year.

Originally Posted by naterbomb
No I went with Havoline Pro Ds 5W30 smart change $42.34 for 12 quarts delivered to my door in 2 days for free. I have been using Mobil 1 for years but I wanted to give Havoline a try. So far so good.

Good choice on oil and filter. Thank You for c&p
smile.gif

I had the same happen with a Motorcraft FL1A and a Puro Plus. I got to say that the FL1A's look much better than the 820's which I won't use on my 4.6L.

It almost seems the 820s could be counterfeited a lot. What was the source of this filter?

You might want to check your air filtration as that oil looks very dirty for the mileage.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I had the same happen with a Motorcraft FL1A and a Puro Plus. I got to say that the FL1A's look much better than the 820's which I won't use on my 4.6L.

Actually, I hope you meant CAN'T use on your 4.6-the thread sizes are different! 3/4"-16 on the FL-1A & M22-1.5 on the FL-820S. But I agree, I have a couple FL-820S ones that are either going to be used on a quick flush or get scrapped, I don't trust them enough. Sorry, I see what you meant now, my bad.

Last edited:
Walmart

Not counterfeit.

Originally Posted by loneryder
You might want to check your air filtration as that oil looks very dirty for the mileage.

I agree. That's some dirty oil.
Thanks for the C&P.

Walmart

Good to hear, not counterfeit. Motorcraft video shows deceptively real looking MC parts out there. Never know that's why I asked. eBay would be a maybe unless from a dealer.

That Motorcraft filter that was cut open was made by Purolator / Mann / Wix. That's been the standard Motorcraft design for a while now.

Is the glue for the caps actually black, or is it a beige/brown stuff? The latter tends to have a higher durometer than the traditional black goop that everyone else uses. The glue needs to be able to glue paper to steel, which requires the right glue chemistry and requires clean / non-oily metal parts for proper adhesion.

Last edited:
The glue on this one was black. The glue was hard and brittle, not the typical brownish rubber type glue on usual Motorcrafts. The oil in the filter also had a dark dirty appearance that the drained oil did not. The drained oil out of the pan looked great light brown, but the oil in the outside of the filter looked dark.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
That Motorcraft filter that was cut open was made by Purolator / Mann / Wix. That's been the standard Motorcraft design for a while now.

That is no Wix design and the Wix brand is not part of this oil filter disaster. The filter OP changed over to, Wix 51372, is a Wix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back