Faulty clutch master cylinder 17” Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my beloved Civic has develop this annoying intermittent clicking/screeching noise when depressing the clutch. It is very random, occurs every 400miles driven and lasts for about an hour or so. I've noticed it last year around 5-7k miles ago.

Here's the link to the video of what it sounds like (my dad is driving the clutch pedal and i'm the camera man)

https://youtu.be/7h36kyUUuo8

The sounds is for sure coming from the clutch delay valve area (i can physically can feel the clicks)

Anyhow, car is under warranty BUT the noise is not consistent and dealer won't touch the car unless they can duplicate the noise. My question is: how can I accelerate the failure and make this noise consistent?
Or maybe someone knows the trick how to get rid of it without cylinder replacement?

Thanks men

Take the car and the video to dealer. At least open a case on this. If they give you any flak......ask for the district rep's phone number or call Honda.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Take the car and the video to dealer. At least open a case on this. If they give you any flak......ask for the district rep's phone number or call Honda.

Exactly the stealer is trying to get out of diagnosing and repairing the car which they are legally obligated to do. Call American Honda Corp and open up a ticket now.

Forgot to mention, the car is at 45K miles. The problem with this sound is that it is random, I can't even trace down the circumstances it occurs at - such as ambient temp, driving speeds etc. And bringing it to the dealer, sitting there for two hours and then listen to - "oh, we couldn't replicate it, come back when it's consistent" is the last thing I want to do.

I've read the CMC is a common issue with the civics and you can actually find quite a few videos online confirming it. So, I wonder if anyone out here had a first hand experience with it that he/she could and care to share.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Following, since we have a 2018 CIvic HB 1.5T/6MT.

Yeah, show them this video and have them document it in the system.

How's the AC on yours? Mine has been making this horrible gurgling sounds since day one (i believe the sound is generated by compressor). Supposedly, it is a know issue as well and a lot of owners having them replaced early in the ownership. Mine still blows cold and I just got used to the sounds so didn't bother bringing it in yet

Originally Posted by parshisa
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Following, since we have a 2018 CIvic HB 1.5T/6MT.

Yeah, show them this video and have them document it in the system.

How's the AC on yours? Mine has been making this horrible gurgling sounds since day one (i believe the sound is generated by compressor). Supposedly, it is a know issue as well and a lot of owners having them replaced early in the ownership. Mine still blows cold and I just got used to the sounds so didn't bother bringing it in yet

Sometimes that can be a sign of low refrigerant and a very slow (glacial) leak.

Does the clutch noise come from inside the car or under the hood? A cylinder doesn't make that sort of noise. It sounds like a pivot point needs greasing. There are pivots between the clutch pedal and the master cylinder. There is also a lever between the slave cylinder and the throw-out bearing that has two pivot points.

Originally Posted by mk378
Does the clutch noise come from inside the car or under the hood? A cylinder doesn't make that sort of noise. It sounds like a pivot point needs greasing. There are pivots between the clutch pedal and the master cylinder. There is also a lever between the slave cylinder and the throw-out bearing that has two pivot points.

It comes from under the hood. As the pedal is being depressed you can feel something sticking and slipping while creating the noise. Also, as the pedal was being depressed, i was holding my hand on the slave cylinder and I could feel the clicking sensation every time it would click. Now, I'm not sure whether this sensation traveled through the break lines from the CMC or was generated at the slave as it was kinda mute.

Can those pivot points at throw-out bearing/fork can be greased without clutch case removal and essentially tearing apart the hole engine compartment? clutch pedal/CMC should be easy i think

Try listening through a stethoscope or a length of hose to pinpoint the noise.

The end of the slave push rod pushes on a lever which goes inside the clutch housing. This point is easy to reach. Inside the housing there is another pivot ball which you may or may not be able to effectively grease with a spray can of grease.

Be careful about pulling on the lever because if it becomes disengaged from the pivot ball spring or the throwout bearing it will be difficult to impossible to put back together without removing the transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by STIcandy
Take it to the dealer, leave it with them and authorize an extended test drive, rent a car.

Having a dealership tech taking my car out for an authorized joy ride is the last thing I wanna do. Thanks for chiming in though

Update: went to dealership, got the car checked in, went with the tech for drive and 0.5mile in the drive noise has been reproduced (YAAAAAY). Tech heard it and confirmed. what they've done later was cleaning and lubricating linkage at the slave cylinder rod/fork as well as linkage at the CMC. No noise observed as I drove back to work. What we agreed on was if it comes back, next thing they'll do will be changing CMC/slave cylinder. We'll see how it goes but I was very pleased with how they treated me and the tech was quite knowledgeable and receptive it seems. He actually took me to the working bay and showed around as well showed me what he did with the car. They had an Accord sitting on the lift with two engines sitting underneath - one was shot with a spun bearing (abused, no oil changes) and another one fixing to go in.

All in all, happy with the visit but want to see if this really worked.

my cmc started leaking at 20k miles on my 2019 si. i changed it out myself cause i didnt want to take all my mods off for the dealership (warranty concerns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back