Ford drain plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the oil in my wife's 2018 F150 for the first time (couple freebies at the dealer to start) and all I can say is WOW. How did Ford manage to screw up an oil drain plug? This thing gushes oil so fast that is actually sprays out... plus it hits the swaybar and that causes more spray. Plus a bit of a cross breeze and the driveway has a puddle... and my hair needs washed. What was wrong with the nice, threaded drain plugs we are used to that offer a nice, controlled, laminar flow of oil??

Ford has always had dumb oil drains.back in the 60's and 70's the trucks would flow across and into the frames crossmember . those trucks would leak oil for weeks after a change.

At least with the plastic pieces it can't be over torqued to the point the pan strips requiring you to pull the engine to replace it.

Maybe put a cotton finger puppet over it to slow the flow, and prefilter the used oil so you can see any sludge or metal bits

I know other manufacturers have done the plastic oil pan thing and made it work, but from what I've read Ford has had lots of issues on the F150 with leaks. A traditional metal oil plan please for any manufacturer listening.

Are you changing the oil while hot? Change it while it's cold and the higher viscosity will reduce the spraying. Before everyone gets their shorts in a knot, I've been doing cold changes on my Burb for 12 years and have 200,000 miles on it.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Ronin makes an (expensive - I think $80 regular price) drain plug that a lot of people on the f150 forum are happy with.

To Snagglefoot: I'm with you. Drive it up onto the ramps and shut it down for the night.

Surprising no BITOGer has suggested a 100W clip-light pointed to the pan on a timer set to turn on 2 hours before expected drain time (hours after the night's drain down).

I simply must see this $80 oil drain plug.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Ford has always had dumb oil drains.back in the 60's and 70's the trucks would flow across and into the frames crossmember . those trucks would leak oil for weeks after a change.

My Chevy silvarodo 4.3 Wt made a mess too iwith the 4wd axle and xfer case up there

I made a water-world slide out of al flashing.

I did like the gasketed re-usable drain plug and cast pan.

I'm sure the op will figure it out do the next try.

Big capacity, should be changing too often,
1 or 2x per year at the most.
10K miles.

2nd the Fumoto valve if you are draining it in your garage. Otherwise a cleanup rag works just fine. The dealership just puts a huge funnel underneath.

Yep, I do warm changes all the time...move the ramps up to the tires, start engine long enough to drop down to slow idle and up we go. It cools a bit while I get all the other stuff ready.
0w20 drains easy. The GM steel sump is 100% clear of everything including the under covers.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like Fumoto makes a valve for these pans? I see the $80 option but thats just... unreasonable.

You could try using some sort of transfer pump to remove most of the oil out through the dipstick hole then drain the little that's left in the pan using the drain plug.

Fumoto does not make one for the f150 as of yet, Ronin makes a good product. To the OP, I have personally experienced everything you mentioned and the Ronin product is the only answer. Expensive but it works.

Originally Posted by Olas
fumoto or vacuum out the top or fab a steel pan with a proper plug.

Yessir … something to be said for real steel …
… my GM V8's have large/stiff aluminum oil pans with a small steel sump the plug is in.
In fact the vehicle's body swing panels are aluminum whereas the fixed panels are steel …

I'm not sure why engineers have to fix problems that do not exist.
Having said that, I am dying to do an oil change on one of these trucks.

I had not seen or heard about this before. So I just watched several youtubes on diy oil changes topic vehicle, different engines. All I can say is, what were they thinking? One guy on yt has a very funny name for the plug, minion related. I don't envy anyone trying to diy these, better you than me. From the same folks that brought that wonderful filter location Escape 1.6L Ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back