Which one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is typical chicken or egg came first. Short version. Mom driving her 2012 Impala cruise set at 55 mph no warning light or messages. Cruise cuts off, next AC, message pops up battery saver then shuts off. She is in a 2 lane road with no shoulder and she has no lights so she muscles it into a driveway then calls me. I get there and surprised to see AAA beat me. I charge battery overnight at 2 amps. This morning I looked only thing showing is check engine light, still no battery light. Checked battery and it was 12.5 but it failed load test and no charging at battery along with 6 codes all ecm and bcm internal failure. Took a chance and had brother bring me an alternator and battery. The battery he brought was wrong but at least the alternator after changing is now charging and battery light comes on at self test. They wanted me give the battery a charge with new alternator hoping to save money. If you ever changed the battery in Impala then you can understand why I disagreed. Anyhow new battery had to go in as I told them since it was shorted just unnecessary work to try to save money. So that is the question which one shorted out the other? PS She is now scared of it. 144k

battery probably went bad, and drew too much from the alternator and burned it up....could be either, but replacing both should solve the unfortunate problem sequence either way.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
battery probably went bad, and drew too much from the alternator and burned it up....could be either, but replacing both should solve the unfortunate problem sequence either way.

I should have said vehicle is now fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back