Mower grease recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a new-to-me John Deere zero turn mower. I'm looking for a grease that is readily available at Wal-Mart that will be suitable for this application.

Here is what the manual states:

• John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease

• John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease

If not using any of the preferred greases, be sure to use a general all-purpose grease with an NLGI grade No.2 rating.

Any grease in particular you are very happy with?

I use Supertech multi purpose or any multi purpose grease I come across for my mowing equipment. I been happy with it.

IDK if Valvoline Crimson is available at Walmart, but I've used it on my 1998 JD and it has the original deck pulleys and steering components.

any GC-LB rated grease will work fine. I would be careful with the polyurea greases - they work well, but are incompatible with many other grease types, ie you should not mix them.

As tundraotto began to mention, the polyurea grease is an issue.

Since they mentioned it, it is possible that it is already present from use on the mower. If that is the case, you need to determine where it was used and use the same (type, polyurea of whatever brand is handy) on those area(s), OR completely clean that grease out if you want to start using the same standard (any brand) lithium complex #2 grease on *everything*.

Ask the prior owner if it's old enough that the odds are, it has already been greased again after the factory load. Let's hope it has been... for wear's sake.

I would have thought that the manual should have mentioned which areas have which grease, or else that they shouldn't have used polyurea or mentioned it at all.

Last edited:
Lucas Red 'N' Tacky is usually available at Walmart and will meet the specifications for a Lithium complex NLGI #2 GC/LB lube. It has a high drop point and reasonably good water washout characteristics. Some of us here note a tendency for the oil to separate in the gun, but I've been using in on a riding mover for four years with no other complaints. See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5106877/lucas-red-n-tacky#Post5106877 for more on oil separation.

IME mowers get so dusty and dirty, I'd want to grease with something with max moly (5%), grease light, wipe away as much as we can.

In regards to mixing greases, do you recommend I pick one and pump in the new to push out the old?

Ok, JD recommends their PU grease for almost everything and it is a darn good choice. There does seem to be some confusion about PU being mixed with other common greases. There are, or were, two different PU greases. I can't remember off the top of my head their actual nomenclature, One, the older formula, was not compatible with most other greases, while the newer formula, was compatible with a lot of other greases. The JD PU is of the formulation that can be mixed with no problems. I can attest to that over many years of using it, and mixing it with other greases. I use a lot of Mystic Red grease and often use JD PU in the same machinery with no ill effects. But, hey, don't take my word for it, call JD and ask if their PU is compatible, they'll say yes it is with most lithium based greases. Of course when you get into aluminum based greases and some other exotic mixes, I'm thinking I wouldn't mix them, but the common lithiums are fine. If you search the internet, you'll find in JD literature that their PU is compatible with a lot of other greases.
As I said earlier, their JD PU is really good grease and is the factory fill for an awful lot of their machinery. The fact that it's also fairly cheap doesn't hurt either.

There is a "Grease compatibility chart and info" as a sticky on top of the main page of this grease forum.

I use Mystik JT-6 red #2 grease on everything from car suspension to John Deere x475 garden tractor. About $3 a tube at your local Wally World.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back