New pennzoil oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interested in the maximum power 0w30 pennzoil for a 2016 impala 3.6. I notice it doesnt carry dexos1 gen2 approval but could i use this safely? What does dexos offer that sn+ doesnt have?

I am using the Amsoil SS 0w-30 in my `18 4Runner, I am an Amsoil member, for me getting the Amsoil is easier and close in price. The Amsoil states Dexos1 gen2, but of course not licensed.

I am sure the 0w-30 Pennzoil is amazing oil also. Probably would not use do to not having any mention of Dexos1 gen 2. If I was in your shoes and wanted to use Pennzoil I would run Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 which is D1G2.

I bought some PP 5W30 last night and it was d1g2, SN+ and had bunch of other specs (honda, ford, etc.) listed on the jug ...

The 10W30 next to it was not d1g2 and had nothing or not as much (ford, honda, ...) listed on the jug.
I didn't care about any of the specs and/or d1g2 and wanted to get 10W but the 5W was $3 per jug cheaper so I got the 5W.

I think 10W should have a lower Noack.

Anyway, I think any oil can be used "safely" ... Before bitog I didn't know what dexos was ... I think I still don't really know. lol
oh wait, I think dexos was formulated to help bad engine design
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by zfasts03
I am using the Amsoil SS 0w-30 in my `18 4Runner, I am an Amsoil member, for me getting the Amsoil is easier and close in price. The Amsoil states Dexos1 gen2, but of course not licensed.

I am sure the 0w-30 Pennzoil is amazing oil also. Probably would not use do to not having any mention of Dexos1 gen 2. If I was in your shoes and wanted to use Pennzoil I would run Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 which is D1G2.

The Amsoil product does not meet the requirements of dexos 1 Gen 2 and they state why on their product sheet.

As for the Pennzoil product there was already a thread here, isn't this the same product?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5355574/pennzoil-0w30

0W-30 (AZO): API SN PLUS (Resource Conserving), SM…; GM dexos1Gen 2 (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4… Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos1 Gen 2 sulfated ash
specification.

0W-30 (AZO): API SN PLUS (Resource Conserving), SM…; GM dexos1Gen 2 (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4… Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos1 Gen 2 sulfated ash specification.

Does not meet the specification. You can't exceed part of the specification and then say you meet it, right? Amsoil states it right there.

So am I making a big mistake by running Amsoil 0w-20 SS in my `16 Suburban with the 5.3L L83 that should have a Dexos1 Gen2 oil? or will the engine just last longer than they want it to?

Last edited:
So am I making a big mistake by running Amsoil 0w-20 SS in my `16 Suburban with the 5.3L L83 that should have a Dexos1 Gen2 oil? or will the engine just last longer than they want it to?

If you are under warranty I use oil that is approved not that using something NOT approved will cause issues or could cause warranty refusal. They have to prove the issue is due to the oil. The only Amsoil oil that is approved for you is OEM. I can't tell you if that oil will be a problem or not.

I have 2 Subaru's that require SN. I bought 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 cause they were semi cheap compared to Amsoil and I got some rebates on my CC. However, I have used SS 0W-20 in my 17 Legacy when I had it and didn't notice any issues. I think I actually used it twice. for my 6th month oil change and 18 month. I was using Amsoil AFL and EFM in my Audi but since I have a leaky turbo I didn't feel like spending extra for oil so I just purchased a few cases of M1. I still have 8 quarts of AFL and 2 EFM lying around. I do oil changes ~once a year since I barely drive that car.

What can go wrong?

I will continue to run Amsoil 0w-20 SS in the `16 Suburban. Powertrain warranty will be up soon anyway. The chances of an engine problem between now an Sept. 10 of 2021 is so slim. This engine is the smoothest and quietest I have ever owned.

Always amused by how some advocates of certain brands respond. Why are you asking me a tangental question when all this was about was Amsoil's own statement in their product sheet?

And having the engine "last longer than they want to" is just downright silly unless you can make a cogent technical argument that GM wishes your engine to fail early.

Originally Posted by Spitter
I was interested in the maximum power 0w30 pennzoil for a 2016 impala 3.6. I notice it doesnt carry dexos1 gen2 approval but could i use this safely? What does dexos offer that sn+ doesnt have?

I wouldn't worry much about d1g2. I think any API SN+ synthetic, in the appropriate viscosity, would qualify for d1g2 if the blender cared to apply (and pay) for certification. Pennzoil, Amsoil, whatever, as long as it's API SN+ synthetic in the appropriate grade, I don't see how you could go wrong. I believe DEXOS is just GM's way of migrating their customer's oil change habits from conventional to synthetic.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I wouldn't worry much about d1g2. I think any API SN+ synthetic, in the appropriate viscosity, would qualify for d1g2 if the blender cared to apply (and pay) for certification. Pennzoil, Amsoil, whatever, as long as it's API SN+ synthetic in the appropriate grade, I don't see how you could go wrong. I believe DEXOS is just GM's way of migrating their customer's oil change habits from conventional to synthetic.

How do you know this please? If you go look at the Afton Specification Handbook and compare what dexos 1 Gen 2 requires there are differences.

I said "I think" and "I believe ", implying opinion as opposed to specific knowledge. As far as I know, it's still OK to offer opinion on public message boards. Please let me know if BITOG prohibits this.

What can go wrong?

I will continue to run Amsoil 0w-20 SS in the `16 Suburban. Powertrain warranty will be up soon anyway. The chances of an engine problem between now an Sept. 10 of 2021 is so slim. This engine is the smoothest and quietest I have ever owned.

So you answered your own question. It's your vehicle.

If this oil doesn't meet my price point for Pennzoil it will never see the inside of the Corolla's engine. To many good full synthetics out there in the $15 a jug/box range right now.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I said "I think" and "I believe ", implying opinion as opposed to specific knowledge. As far as I know, it's still OK to offer opinion on public message boards. Please let me know if BITOG prohibits this.

Why do people feel the need to resort to exaggeration and hyperbole when asked for factual information?

I really want to try this but I already bought into the M1 0w30 at 5.49qt. The Hths is only 2.9 and M1 being 3.0. I think they are a lil late to the game on 0w30 as M1 is available everywhere and Amsoil 0w30 has a good following that pretty much covers the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back