Homemade pizza

I have 2 pizza stones from mom that are good quality Pampered Chef ones. I usually make my own homemade pizza. Get dough from ancient old ma and pop deli/bakery near Beaver River area or real close to me. Use homemade sauce, ricotta, sausage, spinach, too many ingredients to list. Anyone here make homemade pizza?

Thank You and Happy Saturday
34.gif
08.gif

Adam I used to make it but now I'm so old I just go to Papa Murphy's. Now if you believe that line I'll have an excuse for not doing my OCI in April!

My wife and I sometimes make our own. We also make the dough. The dough used to be hit or miss. We now use our bread machine to make the dough. It's so much easier.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Adam I used to make it but now I'm so old I just go to Papa Murphy's. Now if you believe that line I'll have an excuse for not doing my OCI in April!

Johnny, I needed that. Thank You
lol.gif

I've done it a few times including making the dough, but then I started thinking that this is something I can buy as "fast food", while DIY, especially pre-heating a stone too, takes the better part of an hour for start to finish which is decidedly not fast food.

What I do now is get pies from one of the family owned restaurants, or just get a Red Baron self rising crust pizza, put some home made (home grown tomatoes) extra sauce, cheese, and toppings on. I can get that much done during preheating the oven, so concept to eating takes a half hour of mostly hands-off time while it bakes.

Last edited:
I make pizza using french bread as the crust. Turns out pretty good. I used to make dough using a bread maker until it broke and I never replaced it.

I make pizza quite a bit. Currently trying to master a garlic bread pizza dough. It's a pretty fun hobby. Usually cook the dough in my cast iron skillet on the stove top for about 7 minutes, then throw the skillet into the oven (set to about 550F) for another 7 to 8 minutes. It gives it a really good crust on the bottom.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I make pizza quite a bit. Currently trying to master a garlic bread pizza dough. It's a pretty fun hobby. Usually cook the dough in my cast iron skillet on the stove top for about 7 minutes, then throw the skillet into the oven (set to about 550F) for another 7 to 8 minutes. It gives it a really good crust on the bottom.

Thanks for that info. May try that as I have lots of cast iron cookware
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I make pizza using french bread as the crust. Turns out pretty good. I used to make dough using a bread maker until it broke and I never replaced it.

Haha. I was just about to say the same thing about the bread maker.

All the time! We buy our dough from a local Italian bakery/deli. We buy the dough a day before whenever possible to proof it. My wife then stretches it with good Italian extra virgin olive oil to fit the pan. Passata, sea salt, fresh basil, a touch of Italian oregano then topped with mozzarella. 450 degrees for about 16.5 minutes until perfection is achieved.

I have a cast iron pizza pan and I love how it cooks. I just wish my oven would get a little hotter. My son keeps asking me to try making a stuffed crust. So far, only minor success.

Originally Posted by KJSmith
Now that the uploader is fixed.

Pickle Pizza on the BGE.

[Linked Image]

Now thats cool! I got IBS and GERD so NO on the pizza.Getting ready for surgery soon.Liquid diets kinda stink especially when its a no beer diet.

In Colorado the high altitude makes it difficult to make good pizza dough. I haven't found a good recipe.

Back