Moly causing nickel wear in UOAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many UOAs where nickel wear tracks moly content. For oils with a lot of moly (Mo), I get nickel (Ni) wear. For oils without moly, no nickel wear. Same engines. An example UOA set for an example engine is attached (have more just like this, so no comments on sample size please).

Has anyone else noticed moly in oil causing nickel wear? I know they like to alloy with each other, but . . . ?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I just went back and reviewed my last Tundra report. My report came back with 0 Nickel with Moly of 610.

The example you posted is a bad example because that engine suffers from fuel diluted oil.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I just went back and reviewed my last Tundra report. My report came back with 0 Nickel with Moly of 610.

The example you posted is a bad example because that engine suffers from fuel diluted oil.

What oil are you running in that Tundra?

If you are seeing nickel, you got bigger issues and it's not because of the moly. Moly helps prevent (by providing a sacrificial layer) metal to metal contact (asperities) when the oil film thickness is insufficient to do so. Google "boundary lubrication" and EP/AW addys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
If you are seeing nickel, you got bigger issues and it's not because of the moly. Moly helps prevent (by providing a sacrificial layer) metal to metal contact (asperities) when the oil film thickness is insufficient to do so. Google "boundary lubrication" and EP/AW addys.

+1

Can you show us your viscosity lower on the sheet. Polaris Labs where your test came from has a 5% > top call out on fuel dilution. Whats your viscosity? We need to see the whole test sheet.

Originally Posted by Tundra73
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

What oil are you running in that Tundra?

TGMO Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0w-20 with Toyota filter and 7k mile oci. 5.7 liter.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I think fuel dilution is the issue here.

Got that right.

Then why is there no nickel with the same fuel dilution, when no or little moly is in the oil? In multiple different engines.

Originally Posted by claluja

Then why is there no nickel with the same fuel dilution, when no or little moly is in the oil? In multiple different engines.

I'm looking at his UOA which says "Fuel is at a SEVERE LEVEL." I can't comment on other UOA reports which I haven't seen. He needs to find and fix the fuel dilution issue.

I'm looking at his UOA which says "Fuel is at a SEVERE LEVEL." I can't comment on other UOA reports which I haven't seen. He needs to find and fix the fuel dilution issue.

Read the UOA. It shows 0 and 1 for nickel wear, with the same high fuel dilution, for the two samples with low moly. Fuel dilution cannot be "the issue" for the high nickel.

This is about a boat engine not an automobile engine. What is the knowledge base in this forum about Yamaha boat engines?

Read the UOA. It shows 0 and 1 for nickel wear, with the same high fuel dilution, for the two samples with low moly. Fuel dilution cannot be "the issue" for the high nickel.

The nickel is probably coming from the softer aluminum (alloy) wear. You see nickel on your UOA's when you see aluminum wear. Both nickel and moly is/can also be an alloy metal as well as plating. Use a thicker lube and/or get your dilution issue in check (you're really thin for a Xw30) and I wouldn't be surprised if your wear metals return to more normal levels. Try getting the dirt levels in the oil down too..

See the link below...

https://testoil.com/data-interpretation/sources-of-nickel/

Last edited:

I did, twice. Fuel dilution is high, very high, don't address it, spin a bearing and blame the moly............I don't think so. If you don't want to address the fuel bump up a grade, it "might" help. Other people are giving you similar advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back