Smelly AC in F150's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3ea. F150's. (I'm in South Florida, where it's hot n humid all year) The newer truck is odor free, but the 2 older ones have a sickly-sweet moldy smell. This morning, my daily driver was absolutely intolerable. I had to drive with the windows open in the rain.

I've sprayed copious amounts of Lysol behind the glove box (about where the recirculation intake is) and in the windshield vent with recirc off. The intake is very difficult to find. That seems to help for a while, but it's not a long term fix.

I think I may cut a hole in the airbox by the evaporator and wash the thing out with simple green. I might also plumb in a small tube with which to spray the foaming cleaner.

Is the drain in a location where you could shoot some Lysol into it? Does it have a cabin filter? You could possibly use that as another location to empty a can of Lysol into.
laugh.gif

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Cujet
I have 3ea. F150's. (I'm in South Florida, where it's hot n humid all year) The newer truck is odor free, but the 2 older ones have a sickly-sweet moldy smell. This morning, my daily driver was absolutely intolerable. I had to drive with the windows open in the rain.

I've sprayed copious amounts of Lysol behind the glove box (about where the recirculation intake is) and in the windshield vent with recirc off. The intake is very difficult to find. That seems to help for a while, but it's not a long term fix.

I think I may cut a hole in the airbox by the evaporator and wash the thing out with simple green. I might also plumb in a small tube with which to spray the foaming cleaner.

Start the engine turn on a/c as normal, but then turn temp to hot and let it set and idle for about 15 - 30 minutes or so should help dry out some of the damp musty smell. Happens here In georgia sometimes in the hot muggy summer weather

Your problem is likely mold or mildew on the evaporator coil. This requires a tough cleaner meant for the job and not just a simple deodorizer.

Many are available online, just search under car odor ELIMINATORS. Think about some of the over the road trucks that have a million miles on them, get something that will handle that kind of odor.
One that I found recently is Biocide Systems Auto Shocker. These use a system of chlorine volatile products that spread through the vehicle, disinfecting everything it comes in contact with.

I'd remove the cabin air filter, if present, install one of these units and run the heat w/fan on high and recirculate for at least 30 min. Turn off and allow for recommended time to set in and do it's work, likely overnight. You may need respiratory protection when using one of these "bombs".

Install new cabin AF, done.

Or you can wash the evap coil, make sure the drain is open.

I had exact same issue with my F150, called my service advisor and heard from him " change cabin air filter, this will do". Did just that, and no more stinky air from my A/C.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by kstanf150
OP does your F150 even have a cabin filter ?

2015+ do have them.

Understand
But OP says he's older ones are the ones that smell.
So we don't know how old they are

Thanks all!

2009 F150 and 2011 F150. Neither have a cabin air filter.

I think the mold/dirt buildup on the evap will need some serious cleaning. The Lysol trick is not cutting it.

I know Einzett / Nextzett makes a couple of products specifically for this. One is basically a bomb that you set off inside while the vehicle is running with the AC system on and set to recirculate. The other one is more thorough but requires knowledge of how to use it.

Look for something like this
My guess is you have clogged drain line

68032904-BC3C-40FF-AD42-2CC9E8F1CC44.jpeg

Last edited:
My step dad had a 2011 F150 that smelled really bad Inside. I found that the gaps around the wiper arms and the black cowl cover were large enough for small birds to get in and build nests in the cowl area (his sat a lot). It was a mess, the ECU attaches to the right side of the firewall and protrudes into the cowl near the heater intake. I had to remove that and the cowl cover to get in and clean out the nests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back