Fake Online Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advice from the video is excellent. Purchase parts on-line from dealerships only. Avoid Fleabay at all costs. I got ripped off a few months ago purchasing "Genuine" Toyota oil filters for my 4Runner from Fleabay. The seller is still fraudulently selling fake parts and Fleabay doesn't seem to care, despite the negative seller feedback piling up.

I've been duped by both Amazon and RockAuto with fake NGK plugs. I've been much more careful lately about ordering parts online.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I've been duped by both Amazon and RockAuto with fake NGK plugs. I've been much more careful lately about ordering parts online.

If you bought from Amazon themselves not a third party selling on Amazon and Rock Auto I don't believe they were fakes. These companies have too much to loose engaging in such shenanigans.

I have been buying from both for over 10 years and never had an issue with fake parts or plugs.

Same goes for fake Phillips HID headlight bulbs:

Fake vs Real Phillips HID Bulbs

Unfortunately, approximately 80% or more of Philips HID Xenon bulbs sold online marketplaces, such as eBay, Amazon, or other private vendors, are NOT Authentic Philips HID Xenon bulbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav

If you bought from Amazon themselves not a third party selling on Amazon and Rock Auto I don't believe they were fakes. These companies have too much to loose engaging in such shenanigans.

I read an article a while ago that this was happening because Amazon was grouping products together for better effeciency at their warehouses. So, for example, Amazon might have 1000 plugs and Company A, Company B, and Company C each send 100 plugs to the warehouse that they want to sell. They get combined together (now 1300 plugs there). Now if you buy "sold and shipped by Amazon" you might actually get a plug from Company C which happened to be fake. Likewise, you may choose "sold by Company C shipped by Amazon" and get real plugs.

Not sure how prevalent this is, but the logistics made sense, so I could see it happening.

Originally Posted by B6_Dolphin
Same goes for fake Phillips HID headlight bulbs:

Fake vs Real Phillips HID Bulbs

Unfortunately, approximately 80% or more of Philips HID Xenon bulbs sold online marketplaces, such as eBay, Amazon, or other private vendors, are NOT Authentic Philips HID Xenon bulbs.

I don't believe this for one second. If a site, especially a well known one such as Amazon has fakes....Phillips would shut that down immediately. It's easy for Phillips to catch, just order bulbs and see what they get, then file a court order. Just because someone claims something on the web does NOT make it true.

I have been buying from both for over 10 years and never had an issue with fake parts or plugs.

They absolutely were fakes. The NGK lettering wasn't in the right location, the part number stamping was different, and the plug tip was even lose in the ceramic on a few of them. NGK has good documentation for warning about fake plugs and these met that description. Amazon accepted fault and exchanged them. Rockauto took no responsibility and basically said I was SOL.

EDIT: Another guy got fakes from Amazon and made a video about it.

Last edited:
There's detailed online info about fake NGK spark plugs. If I correctly recall, some Amazon venders are listed in that group. I got mine at Advance Auto, marked 25% off from the regular price at that source. At last glance awhile back, Advance often offers this kind of discount when entering their website.

Thanks for the video. As with the fellow on the video, I didn't realize fake NGK spark plugs were something to be concerned with.

I did notice that the Amazon page he showed stated the item "sold by xxx and fulfilled by amazon" rather than ships to and sold by amazon.

I got this brand new $100 Subaru cargo tray for $50 shipped at an eBay auction this week and yes it is genuine Subaru and a perfect fit. I also got the matching Seat back protector for $53 shipped, new in the bag with the tags on it.

[Linked Image from parts.subaru.com]

The fake serpentine belt was amazing. The right name, number, etc.

Now I feel justified in paying more by only purchasing from Toyota/Lexus Dealers.

I'm starting to wonder how many "fake" timing belts, spark plugs, serpentine belts I have on my cars????

At least I know my filters and fluids are legit.

Well, at least going forward I'll get it right.

With the number of dealers that sell OEM stuff discounted online, there is no reason not to just buy online from an authorized dealer. While some authorized dealers do sell on Ebay and Amazon, I'd rather just go to their sites rather than let Ebay and Amazon get a cut--and it's usually cheaper anyway. Until Amazon and Ebay start actually doing something about the massive amount of fraud going on, I don't see a reason to support them when buying auto parts.

It is amazing how even counterfeit parts can make their way into dealer parts departments as well. There are numerous places who will sell "OEM" parts to dealers for less than our normal cost, but the parts are knock-offs. Some place do it to pad their bottom line. I flat out refuse.

The only time where we regularly carry a "non OEM" part is for our bulk 0W20 full synthetic. We participated in Mazda's bulk oil program through Castrol. So we carry the Castrol Edge OE 0W20 in bulk, but don't hide that. The customers also get a $20 rebate from Castrol.

It has to do with how amazon warehouses. Sometimes they will put into inventory products from a 3rd party
example aquapel.

IIRC
they then ship out the 3rd party's product as theirs because that warehouse is closer to you..

I got fake aquapel 3x on amazon.. shipped and sold by amazon. real stuff 2x.

I got fake on ebay 1x real on ebay 5x.

so amazon considerably worse than ebay for real Aquapel... and that is only shipped and sold by.. not third party.

Do you have pictures of the fake NGK plugs you have received? Are they similar to the fakes shown in the video?

Originally Posted by JOD
With the number of dealers that sell OEM stuff discounted online, there is no reason not to just buy online from an authorized dealer. While some authorized dealers do sell on Ebay and Amazon, I'd rather just go to their sites rather than let Ebay and Amazon get a cut--and it's usually cheaper anyway. Until Amazon and Ebay start actually doing something about the massive amount of fraud going on, I don't see a reason to support them when buying auto parts.

Good advice here...I have bought many auto parts from E bay and Amazon over the years and I guess I have been lucky or got the OEM part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back