Valvoline Premium Blue Restore questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 4 gallons of VPBR from Ryder Fleet Products. I guess they are closing their doors and have it on sale for roughly $65. My main reason for getting it is for a 1998 Lexus ES300 with the 3.0 V6 that I just bought. It has 110k on the clock and has questionable maintenance history. This engine is known for making sludge.

I also have a 2015 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 that I recently allowed to go a little long on its OCI, it was down to 4% on the OLM and the oil came out very black.

The Lexus calls for 5 qts of 5W30, while the VPBR is 10W30. Should I just go with 5 qts of the VPBR, or am I better off with a gallon of the VPBR mixed with a quart of something thinner?

The Sierra needs 8qts of 0W20 but I would like to run the VPBR to give it a clean. I was thinking of running a gallon of the VPBR and a gallon of a synthetic 0W20. Is this a good idea? Can you recommend an oil that will mix well with the VPBR?

The TSB on the Cummins site calls for regular filter changes while using the VPBR, the Lexus has a side mount filter so that should be easy to do without making a mess. The truck filter mounts on the underside, how feasible will it be to swap it out without dumping half the sump?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

I would not use this on the 2015 Sierra. At the end of your OLM term, if the detergents are doing their thing, your oil will be black. I'll punt on the Lexus. Welcome to Bitog.

Last edited:
I doubt the GMC would need anything like the Restore already. The lexus I would run the first fill straight Valvoline, and then maybe go 50/50 for a few more after.

Being in Dallas you don't have the extreme cold weather that would deter from using 10w30 in the winter even. When using vpbr use as a full volume fill and don't mix if you want the best results. Although I'm sure it would mix with no problems. Maybe go with redline since it uses esters like the vpbr. Best of luck with your experiments and valve cover and used oil pics are always welcome around these parts.

I was just going to post this!!!
[Linked Image]

It's sort of a waste to use it on something that is known for making sludge or the truck that didn't even exceed the OLM. I'd save it for something that had obvious ring issues.

I'd say split the jug between the two, and then save the rest for a rainy day. I understand not wanting to dilute the holy water that is VPBR, but neither engine needs it at full strength. One qt per vehicle would be a waste, IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
It's sort of a waste to use it on something that is known for making sludge or the truck that didn't even exceed the OLM. I'd save it for something that had obvious ring issues.

I'd say split the jug between the two, and then save the rest for a rainy day. I understand not wanting to dilute the holy water that is VPBR, but neither engine needs it at full strength. One qt per vehicle would be a waste, IMO.

Why do you say it is a waste to use it on the Lexus? From what I understand it is a decent motor, but it will sludge if poorly maintained. I just bought it with 110k and haven't had the chance to take the valve covers off yet.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Being in Dallas you don't have the extreme cold weather that would deter from using 10w30 in the winter even. When using vpbr use as a full volume fill and don't mix if you want the best results. Although I'm sure it would mix with no problems. Maybe go with redline since it uses esters like the vpbr. Best of luck with your experiments and valve cover and used oil pics are always welcome around these parts.

Thanks, I will definitely take some before and afters?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I would not use this on the 2015 Sierra. At the end of your OLM term, if the detergents are doing their thing, your oil will be black. I'll punt on the Lexus. Welcome to Bitog.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Audios
I doubt the GMC would need anything like the Restore already. The lexus I would run the first fill straight Valvoline, and then maybe go 50/50 for a few more after.

Thank you. What would you mix it with? Any old synthetic?

Originally Posted by Hubbs1982
Originally Posted by maxdustington

Why do you say it is a waste to use it on the Lexus? From what I understand it is a decent motor, but it will sludge if poorly maintained. I just bought it with 110k and haven't had the chance to take the valve covers off yet.
VPBR is meant to clean ring packs on diesel motors, not desludge engines that may or may not have sludge in them. One thing that I had not considered earlier is that it might clean too much sludge, and leave you with oil leaks. If it had questionable maintenance I would be worried about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back