Good aftermarket shocks and struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've heard bad things because they're so popular. You're always going to hear bad things when things are sold in volume.

The best are usually OEM. But they're expensive which is why there's the aftermarket.

Quick struts are safer too, don't have to take the spring apart which can be dangerous if it lets go. I'd also replace the springs too because if the struts are worn out, the springs are probably worn out too.

Bilstein's, if available for your application, have been decent in a couple of past cars. I also had a set of Koni sport yellows that were very good.

If you're not using quick struts, get Bilstein 4600
smile.gif

If you do consider them, the only name-brand quick struts made for your car are Monroe, so they would be the best quick struts to get

Too bad Mopar doesn't offer OEM quick struts (Ford and Honda have started offering complete assemblies from the dealer)

Originally Posted by geeman789
Bilstein's, if available for your application, have been decent in a couple of past cars. I also had a set of Koni sport yellows that were very good.

Those things can be teeth jarring.........

KONI Sport (yellow). The KONI Sport dampers are designed for aggressive driving or cars with suspension upgrades while continuing to offer comfort. If a KONI Sport is listed as an alternative to the KONI Special, choose Sport for aggressive handling characteristics. (i.e. "stiff")

Last edited:
Definitely go with the Bilstein 4600 series, if you're looking for a comfortable upgrade. I've yet to read anything negative about the B6 line, it should be a solid upgrade.

I put Gabriel Ultra G57083 quick struts on our 2008 Commander two years ago and they have been good so far (about 30K miles). RockAuto has them.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by geeman789

Those things can be teeth jarring.........

KONI Sport (yellow). The KONI Sport dampers are designed for aggressive driving or cars with suspension upgrades while continuing to offer comfort. If a KONI Sport is listed as an alternative to the KONI Special, choose Sport for aggressive handling characteristics. (i.e. "stiff")

Aren't yellows adjustable? Been a while, but I had red's, and they could be adjusted. But. They could only be adjusted off the car! while yellows could be adjusted on the car. I guess that is how they make money... Anyhow, when I had Koni Red's, when set to near full stiff, they were stiff. They eventually went bad and the shop went against my (not well communicated) wishes and put them in near full soft. I couldn't tell the difference between soft and dead.

YMMV.

Bilstein 4600's. They are fantastic and light off-road capable. A set are on my old Alaskan truck right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back