Motorcraft FL-820s Video

Very good presentation. I noticed your filter pleat spacing wasn't as wide as I have seen which may have something to do with the sporadic reports of tearing. BTW, what filter cutter do you have?

Looks like you schooled some Motorcraft haters. And I don't know anything about OCIs but by the look of that dark oil, I would have changed it a lot sooner myself. Maybe I just like seeing clean oil when look at the dipstick.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Looks like you schooled some Motorcraft haters.

How? By showing one filter that didn't tear? I don't recall anyone saying 100% of them tear.

The glued seam doesn't hurt either, introduces a little flexibility into the (fairly brittle) media when oil pushes against it. I used a fair number of Puro made QS3600 filters on various engines, they pretty much had glued seams & stayed together OK.

Driving style plays a part along with air temperature with cold starts. Some people rev like mad cold and pedal to the metal driving. I drive the opposite and doubt if I ever get a torn filter on any brand. There is this factor although no excuses if tearing in any filter, or rattling in an Ultra, is found.

One that didn't tear is not a surprising finding. Finding any that do tear gets my attention. The fact that purolator also had the tearing issue and they make the FL820, adds to the issue.

Now is a torn filter going to grenade a good motor. no. but it could lead to worn rings and earlier oil consumption which if left unchecked, could leave you running a dry sump. If the low oil light didnt work as well.
smirk.gif

If that was the only filter available adn I needed the oil changed NOW. I would have no issue screwing on one. If I'm standing in the isle and there are choices, I see no reason to go with a filter that has multiple reports of tearing when for the same price you have many popular filters (wix, fram, ST (champ), rock auto jobbers or even a non-puro made FL400s) that have very few reports of issues.

I'm not a copy cat or bandwagon . My all time favorite oil filter when it come to ford is motorcraft FL820s . I'm defend this filter for many years after the first report tear problem . I continue using it for years . Til one day I just happen to take to work and let my coworker cut one open . Sure enought I see hole and tear on media . That a shame , I'm still using it but for very short oil change , because I really like how this ADBV is right on the thread .

A person could also make 10 unedited videos of 10 filters, 9 of them torn, and only publish the 1 filter that didn't tear.

It is pretty hilarious if you think about it, where a filter that does not tear is some kind of victory.

Originally Posted by wdn
A person could also make 10 unedited videos of 10 filters, 9 of them torn, and only publish the 1 filter that didn't tear.

It is pretty hilarious if you think about it, where a filter that does not tear is some kind of victory.

LOL or vice versa. I've been using the so called Tare-o-lator for over ten years now and haven't had one tare. ??????
Must be time to buy another Lotto ticket.

With all the reports of tearing media in the 820s, I made an unedited video of me cutting one open after 10,000 miles on the filter.

https://youtu.be/YHI6bc3vuKI

Excellent video to disprove the hysterical hair-on-fire naysayers. Ford recommends this, and you've proven to me that it's an outstanding filter with strong media. Thanks for taking the time to do this and film and post it!

Why? We can literally see from the video of the high quality design and materials. No folded pleats, no tears, high quality media...

It would be a lot easier for someone to cut open one and tear it or find a defect, and then claim that the 50 million in circulation (with no reported problems) are all defective garbage...

Originally Posted by wdn

LOL or vice versa. I've been using the so called Tare-o-lator for over ten years now and haven't had one tare. ??????
Must be time to buy another Lotto ticket.
No it’s not “vice versa”, it is far easier to show that something exists rather than it does not. A singular evidence of a torn filter is proof they do exist, but a large number of them that did not tear does not mean that none ever tear.

What rank nonsense revolves around this topic.

I'm not a copy cat or bandwagon . My all time favorite oil filter when it come to ford is motorcraft FL820s . I'm defend this filter for many years after the first report tear problem . I continue using it for years . Til one day I just happen to take to work and let my coworker cut one open . Sure enought I see hole and tear on media . That a shame , I'm still using it but for very short oil change , because I really like how this ADBV is right on the thread .
Yeah we talked about all of that on your thread. You did a great job. Outside they are a work of art but well you know.
I find it funny many argue their points but never opened any up. You did and your eyes were opened up to a new reality. How can you defend any product if you don't know the inner workings or the quality of such. With oil filters it isn't expensive rocket science. Buy a filter tool and spin the filter on it several times and a new reality is revealed.

I'm trying one due to my startup timing chain rattle issues on my 4.6, even with the documented issues. I will report on how it does, and it will be cut & posted (by me) after ~3000 miles. If good, the next one will get a 5000 mile test.

Back