Oil Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil marketing is making it a lot easier to compare oils. I wish Pennzoil/Quaker State advertised specific wear performance. I have used Pennzoil mostly for the last 10 years but it's hard to ignore Castrols marketing. I have PPHM in my charger now. When I drain I'll do a UOA and I'll put Edge EP in then do a UOA to compare MPG and wear

E2E843D5-5E4B-4A64-B1F8-5FF4E7DA43F8.png

A55AB179-BCA7-442C-8424-64CDFD23E962.png

FD47A897-1008-4CC3-94DC-684CDF36DD2F.png

8BE3C724-5C93-485E-9989-B7023FCC7CA2.png

FA9EF316-E76B-407A-AFE2-CD2121667377.jpeg

You are going to get whooped up here big-time
lol.gif

I will say that in regards to the UOA testing... You would actually need 30 or more consecutive runs with just 1 oil to have a significant enough of a baseline for a comparison... And then 30 or more consecutive runs with that second oil.... And that's a minimum of what you would actually need... Probably should be 40-maybe 50 of each... to be truly statistically meaningful and reliable.

And that telling wear by UOA even by performing the above 30+ runs consecutive runs on each oil would be questioned by some... . .

I tend to think weighing parts before and after 30+ runs with one oil would be more telling...

Even with all of that done like that.... There are still other big variables that can make it nearly impossible to come up with a fair level field comparison between two oils.

Last edited:
Isn't that what the Seq IVA test is????

I mean they are kind of putting themselves out there if they cant prove it.....

Originally Posted by geeman789
Uh huh ...

You do know what MARKETING is, right ?

In a nutshell:

Profiting by creating an issue for the consumer that they "didnt know" they had in the first place.

Oil marketing is completely unnecessary - You buy more at OCI time and you buy more if it's on offer w/ rebate and you buy more for top-ups on long journeys and you buy more when there are rumours of a change of formulation... They dont need to market anything! We buy enough as it is haha

Originally Posted by bbhero
You are going to get whooped up here big-time
lol.gif

Right!
lol.gif

I give him props for putting himself out there though. He's not unique in this regards, most consumers look at ad language and base their buying decisions on that so I'm not gonna beat him up over it. Heck, I'm guilty of it.. I'm sure I've purchased laundry detergent based on the label language for example.
grin2.gif

The number one thing you can do to promote engine longevity is just change the oil and filter on time and use a quality lube carrying the required spec's from the engine builders.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the OP with Titanium plastered all over their jugs and all them pretty pictures, it's hard to ignore when you're standing in the oil aisle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
New and improved

Whenever I see that the first thing that comes to mind is, "You mean all this time I've been buying crap?"
lol.gif

I don't care for marketing. Every oil manufacturer claims their product is better than everybody else's. Why wouldn't they? That's how marketing works.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I don't care for marketing. Every oil manufacturer claims their product is better than everybody else's. Why wouldn't they? That's how marketing works.

Right! I'd drop to the floor lmao if I saw an oil label that said, "It's just ok.. not the best lube but not the worst"
lol.gif

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

Why not? Not enough AG's take them to task over their BS!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

They have a lot of lower hanging fruit in the goofy claims by additive companies and some "boutique" oil brands.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

They have a lot of lower hanging fruit in the goofy claims by additive companies and some "boutique" oil brands.

Right! ðŸ‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back