Gun carry insurance

Originally Posted by Astro14
US LawShield.

I attended a USLaw Shield seminar last night. Not expensive but I don't believe they have bail bond funding and Damages protection. I found USLawShield nickel and dimes for added protection too,
USCCA has bail bond and damage coverage and the nickel and dime add ons of LALawShield, $2m on damages at the USCCA Elite choice option but $47 a month vs .around $22.

I'll have to do some comparison shopping, then. I got US LawShield on the recommendation of a friend. Never looked that closely.

If I happen to shoot an intruder in my home I feel confident that my LEOs & Judges will exonerate me. They will bleed out inside my door/window

Originally Posted by pkunk
If I happen to shoot an intruder in my home I feel confident that my LEOs & Judges will exonerate me. They will bleed out inside my door/window

+1

Still going to get sued in civil court regardless of what the local LEO/DA does most likely. I can see it as being ok coverage in that case, but only if it pays your legal costs to defend that case.

The good news is the odds of having to use your SD weapon are about the same as getting hit by lightening while buying a winning lottery ticket. Do what you're comfortable with. The aftermath of a self defense shooting might be different in California vs Texas.

I went with USCCA. I like they pay your bail bond and damages up to $2.25M.
One mistake in a panic situation and your life is ruined.
Even with a good shoot you still will be sued for wrongful death. Attorneys aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by Colt
Even with a good shoot you still will be sued for wrongful death. Attorneys aren't cheap.

Are there any stats that say this is true? I think it's a good assumption and all, but, the devil's in the details. I've heard of many good assumptions that don't jive with reality.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
This gun carry insurance seems like an answer to a question nobody was asking. Is this pushed mainly by CCW instructors?

It's a question nobody asks, until they have to use their gun.

Plenty of cases where the defender is arrested and charged with a crime. Happens more in states like New York, than in Texas, but it happens.

I know a guy who had an ND in his apartment. He dutifully reported it. The police, in Virginia Beach, showed up with multiple patrol cars.

He was arrested and charged with a crime. Now, he's going to spend about $2,000 (or more in attorney fees) and will likely have the charges dropped. HE reported it. HE was responsible. HE got charged with a crime.

If you look at how many cars were dispatched, on HIS phone call, it's clear that the cops decided, before they even go to the scene, that he was going to be charged, because they sent half a dozen officers to the scene.

It's a fallacy, it's wishful thinking, to assume that if you defend yourself, you won't get charged with a crime. A person who discharges a firearm, lawfully, and in self-defense, is often charged with a crime and has to spend big bucks on attorneys to have the charge dropped or to be acquitted in court. You have no way to know what the cops will think when they show up, no way to predict that you'll be charged or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton

Are there any stats that say this is true? I think it's a good assumption and all, but, the devil's in the details. I've heard of many good assumptions that don't jive with reality.

What "stats" would you like.

It happens.

Talk with an attorney in your state.

Talk with an attorney in any state in which you carry.

It happens, and happens often, so who cares what the odds are, they're greater than zero and that should give you pause.

15 seconds on Google, and in roll the results, here is one: https://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20100523/NEWS/100529928

The cops themselves get sued all the time with wrongful death. Even if you don't get charged with a crime, the family of the decedent can sue you. Their "little angel child who never hurt nobody" was killed in your home, so you get sued. That happens all the time, too.

https://www.gilmanbedigian.com/man-who-shot-intruder-in-his-home-sued-for-wrongful-death

Last edited:
In most cases, if not all, a wrongful death suit doesn't cost the client anything if they lose. So why wouldn't they sue?

Contingency Fees in Wrongful Death Cases
In a contingency arrangement, you agree to pay the lawyer a percentage of the amount recovered typically between 33.333% and 40%. The precise amount usually depends on the type of case and a number of other factors.

https://www.sutliffstout.com/wrongful-death-guide/attorneys-fees-wrongful-death/

I went with USCCA. I like they pay your bail bond and damages up to $2.25M.
One mistake in a panic situation and your life is ruined.

Me, too. It is pretty cheap insurance, really. I got the basic level.

NRA insurance has some fine print that bothers me, if it is still there. When I decided on USCCA, It was reported that NRA insurance would only pay out if you were aquitted. USCCA kicks in immediately and gets you to a local attorney that is familiar with firearms and self defense law.

Look, if you carry a concealed weapon, why are you doing it? Insurance. So why would you carry the weapon and not carry this kind of insurance? If you think the odds are good enough you might need a gun, they are also good enough you'll need an attorney when you use it.

Why wouldn't a perp or perp's family sue you? We're talking life or death. If you kill or maim someone's baby, the circumstances won't matter. Everyone rationalizes, and nobody wants to imagine his or her baby being totally at fault and getting killed. The easiest rationalization is the YOU did something wrong.

Honestly I think it is absolutely silly to carry a weapon and not a) train, b) practice, and c) carry insurance. Anything short of those three is incomplete and without #1 and #2, irresponsible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by supton

What "stats" would you like.

It happens.

I will google later (on my work computer). I'm looking for a number. Is it >50% of defensive gun uses result in a civil suit, or is it 5%? That is what I am after--numbers.

Everyone likes to throw down the "it might happen" as proof positive that one ought to do something, regardless of the situation (trading cars before 100k, changing oil at less than 10k, the list goes on). Otherwise this sounds like the caliber wars, or justifying why one should carry a double stack 9 with multiple mags so one could fight their way back to the real gun they keep in their car trunk--because that kind of scenario "might happen".

I'm not saying insurance is a bad thing, I just what more justification than "it might be necessary". Then again, I might find that being sued in 1% of the cases is justification enough for insurance--if said insurance was $10 per year to have. I don't even know what kind of costs we are talking about here (yet more numbers to enter into the equation).

I don't have the official "numbers", but after 26 years on a large police department, I can tell you it was just generally accepted fact that you would be sued regardless of how good the shooting was. That was the way everyone looked at it, but mentally reviewing the ones I am more familiar with the actual rate was somewhere around 50 to 75%.

It makes no difference who reported it. Does anyone think calling in a police report to 911 on your own shootimg equals a get out of jail free card? It is your duty to report a cadaver in your house regardless of circumstances.

I use USCCA for my carry insurance. I think I pay somewhere around $20 a month which I find to be a negligible enough amount to be worthwhile. The likelihood of needing it is low but the cost is small enough to justify it in my opinion given the sue happy society we live in today.

Back