Flywheel pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the transmission out of my jeep today. The throw out bearing is definitely bad. Clutch and flywheel are like new. No burns on the flywheel so I wont surface it.

Sorry for the bad pic.

IMG_20200221_164516.jpg

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Were you getting a squeal or chirp? Curious, I am getting a occasional squeal from my Series just as I depress the clutch.

It started as a scream on cold starts. Then I could hear it grinding when I pushed the clutch down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Were you getting a squeal or chirp? Curious, I am getting a occasional squeal from my Series just as I depress the clutch.

It started as a scream on cold starts. Then I could hear it grinding when I pushed the clutch down.

Thanks. Good luck. I'm looking at this myself...

I can't see how a clutch and pressure plate could make it scream when it's cold. It would pulsate or grab unevenly I would think. The one thing that I could see and it's dirt cheap is the tiny pilot bearing in the middle of the engines crankshaft. Its so cheap, a few $$$ literally I'd replace it just because...... The throw out bearing might be the culprit too, again pretty cheap to save yanking it apart again.

Originally Posted by Driz
I can't see how a clutch and pressure plate could make it scream when it's cold. It would pulsate or grab unevenly I would think. The one thing that I could see and it's dirt cheap is the tiny pilot bearing in the middle of the engines crankshaft. Its so cheap, a few $$$ literally I'd replace it just because...... The throw out bearing might be the culprit too, again pretty cheap to save yanking it apart again.

I bought the whole kit with both bearings and clutch components. The scream was from the throw out bearing.

Don't cut corners now - you've come this far. You really need to replace that flywheel and the bearing in it. Flywheels are cheap and I would not even consider resurfacing.

LOL, there is some funny comments tonight! Brakes to clutches...to what oil for my genny.

I have done a number of clutches for people that I know that were low on funds, they just don't get the "You need to replace the throw out bearing when a new clutch is installed"

Why, its not broken...

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Don't cut corners now - you've come this far. You really need to replace that flywheel and the bearing in it. Flywheels are cheap and I would not even consider resurfacing.

He is a professional mechanic, he can decide for himself. He won't make another post tomorrow about why his clutch is chattering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder

He is a professional mechanic, he can decide for himself. He won't make another post tomorrow about why his clutch is chattering.

I am quite aware of that and respect him. I am also a pro for the record. You?

+1

He never said the clutch and pressure plate were causing the noise, he always suspected the throwout bearing. Anyway, clutch kits come with all the things you mention, no need to itemize.

Master here .

If the flywheel isn't worn and it works well, Why would you replace it?

That is absolute non-sense. Youm ust be brainwashed by your Service Manager
smile.gif

Many replacement parts are suspect, and you can get yourself into un-suspected trouble going wil·ly-nil·ly with " new" parts.

NO chattering - just bad bearings.

Now PP and clutch are a consideration. But again if no abnormal wear with long service ahead.

Leave em.

I'm cheap and if need be I can replace the flywheel in the future. The jeep flywheel can't be resurfaced. I don't want to knock the balance out with a chinese flywheel. I see no reason to replace it as it looks great. A few swipes with a rolloc disc and It should last another 180k.

It does look great. It appears you are master of the clutch!

Good advice on the pilot bearing. One area that is sometimes overlooked is the nose piece on the transmission. This is the part that the throwout bearing slides on before contacting the pressure plate. I had a 1980 Ford F150 4X4 that had this part made out of ALUMINUM!! It could not be lubricated and ended up galling and wearing, allowing the throwout bearing to "cock" and not fully release. The throwout bearing would therefore "ride" on the fingers of the pressure plate, resulting in damage to both.

When ordering a new part from Ford, they told me that an older steel version would fit, so I bought and installed that one. Problem solved!

It's all back together. Much easier with a lift and a borrowed trans jack. In the past I just muscled them out and in. With a trans jack I was able to keep the transmission and transfer case bolted together and remove/ install as a unit.

The clutch disk was like new as far as wear goes. But it has 8 springs that help it engage smooth and 1 was broken. It was an inner spring so it could not fall out. Glad I went and did the whole clutch set and not just the throw out bearing.

Total time spent was 2h15m!

Originally Posted by Chris142

I bought the whole kit with both bearings and clutch components. The scream was from the throw out bearing.

Chris: thanks for enlightening him
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Master here .

If the flywheel isn't worn and it works well, Why would you replace it?

That is absolute non-sense. Youm ust be brainwashed by your Service Manager
smile.gif

Many replacement parts are suspect, and you can get yourself into un-suspected trouble going wil·ly-nil·ly with " new" parts.

NO chattering - just bad bearings.

Now PP and clutch are a consideration. But again if no abnormal wear with long service ahead.

Leave em.

Master also. I respect what you are saying -really, and you make good points on parts. I don't have a service writer - I am the shop owner. Many service procedures mention resurface or replacement of the flywheel at a clutch service. I treat it like a brake rotor - not expensive to do while you are there but costly if you have to do the job over because of an issue. I figure the averagae clutch disc has been in service for 100k miles....replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back