Factory Ford filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off of a 2019 F250 with a 6.2 gas engine. This is the factory equivalent to the Fl820s. The base plate is different in that it has round holes instead of slots. The center tube has holes instead of louvers and the adbv is stamped parker instead of fomoco. The base mounted bypass is removable unlike the 820s also. This filter looks as if a Wix and a Purolator had a baby.
Finally, the seam where the mediais joined is crimped insteadof glued. Enjoy.

20200219_134123.jpg

20200219_134143.jpg

20200219_134220.jpg

20200219_134226.jpg

20200219_134245.jpg

20200219_134829.jpg

20200219_134834.jpg

I think Parker Hannifin owns the Racor Filter division. I've seen Racor used before with Ford Motorcraft applications. Usually for the diesel trucks.

Looks like typical Wix construction to me. Traditional thread end bypass, parker adbv and coil compression spring. Looks fine, like it got the job done. Anecdotes previously posted show Wix having FoMoCo factory contract for awhile now. Not seeing any Puro US in the construction.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Always nice to know that Ford trusts Motorcraft filters so much that they won't use them on their NEW engines!!
crackmeup2.gif

Looks like a Wix/NAPA Gold.

To be fair, every new Ford factory oil filter I've personally seen has not been a Motorcraft. I've heard rumors they are made by Champion in the past for FL-820-S.

The same goes for their air filters. If you have a 2011-up Explorer or Taurus, that stock air filter from the factory has an orange polyurethane seal with paper element, but does not have the reinforcing wire. I searched high and low and could not find a similar replacement air filter. Every aftermarket replacement had the wire mesh, sometimes so thick (like Motorcraft) that there'd be noticeable reduction in air mass flow when datalogging my SHO.

Originally Posted by metroplex
The same goes for their air filters. If you have a 2011-up Explorer or Taurus, that stock air filter from the factory has an orange polyurethane seal with paper element, but does not have the reinforcing wire. I searched high and low and could not find a similar replacement air filter. Every aftermarket replacement had the wire mesh, sometimes so thick (like Motorcraft) that there'd be noticeable reduction in air mass flow when datalogging my SHO.

Where are you reading the Air Mass? The Ecoboost 3.5 Gen1 is a Speed density system and doesn't have a MAF, just a boost pressure sensor but that should be fairly constant as the turbo can always spool more to build more pressure.

…. I've heard rumors they are made by Champion in the past for FL-820-S.....
In the past Champ Labs did have the FF contract. The FF contract and off the shelf Motorcraft, different contracts obviously.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…. I've heard rumors they are made by Champion in the past for FL-820-S.....
In the past Champ Labs did have the FF contract. The FF contract and off the shelf Motorcraft, different contracts obviously.

I was thinking too quickly. I meant the Ford Factory filters were made by Champion.

Originally Posted by itguy08

Where are you reading the Air Mass? The Ecoboost 3.5 Gen1 is a Speed density system and doesn't have a MAF, just a boost pressure sensor but that should be fairly constant as the turbo can always spool more to build more pressure.

All the EcoBoost engines are speed density, but there are PIDs that infer the air mass flowed. I don't use that for tuning, but only for comparison. The factory engine tune has tables that show air flow limits as well, so the ECU does utilize the inferred air mass at some point.

Champ Labs lost the contract, Mann picked it up. So Mann makes both Ford factory and Motorcraft filters now. They must have a good salesman. Person. It makes no sense to say Ford thinks the Motorcraft aren't good enough but all the retail dealers sell and use them. This is a large company older than any oil filter company, they have departments for this and for that. The manufacturing arm orders these, the parts arm orders Motorcraft. Nothing can be deduced from it.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Champ Labs lost the contract, Mann picked it up. So Mann makes both Ford factory and Motorcraft filters now. They must have a good salesman. Person. It makes no sense to say Ford thinks the Motorcraft aren't good enough but all the retail dealers sell and use them. This is a large company older than any oil filter company, they have departments for this and for that. The manufacturing arm orders these, the parts arm orders Motorcraft. Nothing can be deduced from it.

Since when does Mann make Motorcraft filters? All the ones I have seen are Purolators.

Mann owns WIx & Purolator now, obviously-but the MC FL-820S is obviously made to a lower price point (media being far worse) than the Wix/NAPA Gold (& Ford factory filters). My statement was, & still is, that if Motorcraft, with the Ford name on it, apparently isn't good enough for a brand new Ford engine. I'm waiting for Mann & Hummel to buy all the rest of the oil filter manufacturers (although Fleetguard might be tough since Cummins owns them) so that everybody will be forced to use their junk.

Always nice to know that Ford trusts Motorcraft filters so much that they won't use them on their NEW engines!!
crackmeup2.gif

Looks like a Wix/NAPA Gold.

Looks like spitting image of one I posted off our f-250 plow truck
smile.gif

Originally Posted by cronk
I wish Motorcraft would put these filters in their box to sell to the public instead of the poorly constructed and tear prone Purolators.

Agreed

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Since when does Mann make Motorcraft filters? All the ones I have seen are Purolators.

Mann has owned purolator since 2012. Purolator makes motorcraft. I'm sure theres some economies of scale working behind the scene at Mann/Purolator.

Last edited:
I wish Motorcraft would put these filters in their box to sell to the public instead of the poorly constructed and tear prone Purolators.

smirk2.gif
35.gif
36.gif

If you mean FL-820S filters, then yes. Their FL-500S & FL-400S ones aren't too bad, it's something about the big element that does it, although I've never seen an FL-1A tear like the FL-820S ones do.

If you mean FL-820S filters, then yes. Their FL-500S & FL-400S ones aren't too bad, it's something about the big element that does it, although I've never seen an FL-1A tear like the FL-820S ones do.

Yes, I am referring to the fl820s, as that is the filter referenced in this post.
I have personal experience with a Motorcraft FL820s failing with under 3000 miles.

my fl820s fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back