Please help me decide....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have been agonizing and going back and forth about what I'm going to run in my new '19 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. I've narrowed it down to Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic and QSUD. I'm leaning towards Valvoline because i like the idea of rolling from the Advanced to the full synthetic MaxLife when the engine hits 100,000 miles. Keeping it under one brand name is probably more about my OCD than anything else but that's where I'm at. I'm at 3400 miles and the first oil change at 5,000 is approaching quickly.....which will be the best for my baby??

Doesn't your Ford dealer include free maintenance for the first 2-3 years? The answer is Ford oil and Ford oil filters.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Any other oil of comparable quality will not make your vehicle last longer.

Either of those oils are good. Go with the one that's most available in your area or that you can get the best deal on.

Originally Posted by ecureed
Keeping it under one brand name is probably more about my OCD than anything else but that's where I'm at. I'm at 3400 miles and the first oil change at 5,000 is approaching quickly.....which will be the best for my baby??

You're already behind schedule if you have OCD. First change should have been at 1,000 miles and the second at 3,000. That was the recommendation 30 or 40 years ago and although not anymore, engines are fundamentally still the same. The greatest wear occurs during break-in as the new parts run in and shed particles into the oil.

Makes no difference. If you run QS, you can switch to QS High Mileage at 100K, or you could run MaxLife or High Mileage right now, or you could move back and forth depending on price... if it meets spec, it's good to go.

^ Yes,
brand loyalty in motor oil has few, if any benefits at a cost to your wallet - it's not a spouse.

Last edited:
Most important thing to me is no 10K mile OCI's. Pick your most favorite oil and go with it. I know......I know.....there will be people disagreeing with me. That's ok too......

Ok I have been agonizing and going back and forth about what I'm going to run in my new '19 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. I've narrowed it down to Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic and QSUD.

Which one has the highest HTHS and the lowest Noack? Probably the Valvoline.

my OCD wants those OCIs to be at even 5k intervals for the life of the engine, the 1k and 3k initial OCIs make me cringe LOL

But isn't the QS High Mileage a blend? If I go Valvoline it's full syn to full syn when I switch over to MaxLife.

Whatever oil you choose it will be reformulated many times during the life of your truck if you keep it.

Valvoline base oils dont come from Ashland anymore... and Quaker State doesnt have Pennsylvania Crude..

IF you want the feel goods.. use Rotella Gas Truck... i would if i had OCD.

What kind of filter are you going to use in your baby?

You only need high mileage oils when issues arise.
Pennzoil Platinum is my recommendation and change that factory-fill now. Get those shavings out now. Then run 6-7K OCIs, not 10K OCIs.
That will keep that dipstick relatively clean, for at least 1-2k of every new OCI.

Ok I have been agonizing and going back and forth about what I'm going to run in my new '19 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. I've narrowed it down to Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic and QSUD. I'm leaning towards Valvoline because i like the idea of rolling from the Advanced to the full synthetic MaxLife when the engine hits 100,000 miles. Keeping it under one brand name is probably more about my OCD than anything else but that's where I'm at. I'm at 3400 miles and the first oil change at 5,000 is approaching quickly.....which will be the best for my baby??

Flip a coin and pick one.. they both have turned in some really good UOAs, so we know either lube is more than up to task. (how each performs in YOUR engine is the big unknown at this point)..but If you like saving money, then QSUD is probably the winner by a couple bucks each oil change.

Last edited:
If you have OCD you should be wary of this den of hand wringers and cheapskates.

Any oil in your list is fine. Buy whichever is on sale, buy only when you need it, and change brands as often as you like according to price. Ford says change it every six month or 7,500 miles. 7,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back