Gas price spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Our cheap grade of E10 is currently $ 2.00 to $ 2.10 .

That is what prices should be around here...

Sadly Wisconsin has anti-competition laws that keep our prices higher than our gas tax rate would suggest .

Thankfully I make a once or twice monthly trip to Appleton which always has a couple abnormally cheap stations, they have been as low as $2.05 for 88 while everywhere else was $2.40

I really miss the independents like Utica fuel shaking things up.

Ah the benefits of a single supplier monopoly .

Originally Posted by Kestas
Premium costs 28% more than regular where I fill up (Costco).

And Costco is usually the lowest Prem-Reg spread. Not a member but I've thought about joining just for that reason.

Prices of everything are a function of some combination of market and cost. Premium seems to be it's own unique submarket. The pump price differential over regular is much more than the bulk spot price or production cost.

With current sulfur regulations it is a challenge to make higher octane, so the higher spread may be justified.

Also affecting the spread is vapor pressure regulations...reformulated gas vs. summer vs. winter, etc.
So, in places like CA that have year round stringent regulations that limits use of lower cost octane improvers (butane) and may make the spread less, but definitely increases the prices overall.

Then there's taxes, if it is per gallon than it affects the high grade less on a percentage basis...i'm not really sure how it is taxed though.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by blufeb95
In Central Indiana, it's like 60 cents at the cheap stations, 70 cents at Phillips, 80 cents at shell.

Same in my area ^^^^^^^^^

My car gets 93... I'm ok with it... Though that big spread started happening after Hurricane Katrina...

Interestingly enough it was still only like 20 cents different back in 2013, but gas in general was pretty high then.
[Linked Image]

Interesting in my area.... After Katrina the spread went from 15 cents per grade... To 40.... And 45 cents... And that pretty much never changed after that hurricane... Actually it got higher with time... Especially in the past 8 years. We had a local refinery in Yorktown that my step father worked at.... Yet that permanent price change happened... We have the colonial pipeline what comes up from the gulf... And the Plantation spur of that pipeline actually goes to Amoco docks there at that refinery in Yorktown for a deep water access point.

Last edited:
Drove by one of the Valero stations in San Antonio today near my house.

The price spread between 87 octane e10, and e85 was only 5 cents.

Seems like e85 is going the way of the dodo bird.

Originally Posted by kschachn
One of the reasons for the high price differential in your picture is because the premium is E0, that always sells for a much higher price. Here in southeastern Wisconsin where only E10 is sold the price differential for 93 octane premium at Kwik Trip is $0.70. Right now my local Kwik Trip has regular at $2.34, mid-grade at $2.64 and premium at $3.04. Wherever you took that picture is selling all the upper grades at a ridiculous price or it's an old picture. I've never seen such a spread anywhere here.

I also noticed that Kwik Trip E0 is usually 91. Most of the other stations in the non-mandated area of the state just have the standard 93. But since I'm a Kwik Trip fan (but who isn't), I don't mind the 91 if I'm getting E0.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I saw a post on flop book talking about gas,octain and prices. Some people were saying that premium was $1.00 a gallon more in some places. Here it's not much more.

I took this pic 45 min ago.

Wow. We normally have a 60-80 cent difference here. Roughly a dollar more if you want mid grade E0.

I always find it interesting to look at gas prices when traveling. We were in Florida last week and prices/ spread was about the same. I found it interesting because it was a tourist area on the beach with very very expensive houses worth 5x mine that were 5x smaller.

Don't get gas at the station by the airport. Premium E0 prices for regular. Lol

Originally Posted by JustinH
Drove by one of the Valero stations in San Antonio today near my house.

The price spread between 87 octane e10, and e85 was only 5 cents.

Seems like e85 is going the way of the dodo bird.

It is here too thankfully. I'm all about the free market, but nowadays with new ways to get crude, there's no reason to mess with it. Even today, not many new vehicles can run on it either.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Originally Posted by kschachn
One of the reasons for the high price differential in your picture is because the premium is E0, that always sells for a much higher price. Here in southeastern Wisconsin where only E10 is sold the price differential for 93 octane premium at Kwik Trip is $0.70. Right now my local Kwik Trip has regular at $2.34, mid-grade at $2.64 and premium at $3.04. Wherever you took that picture is selling all the upper grades at a ridiculous price or it's an old picture. I've never seen such a spread anywhere here.

I also noticed that Kwik Trip E0 is usually 91. Most of the other stations in the non-mandated area of the state just have the standard 93. But since I'm a Kwik Trip fan (but who isn't), I don't mind the 91 if I'm getting E0.

In WI "generally" 91 is E0, but not always. Kwik Trip 91 is almost always E0, though that may be different in Milwaukee county.
Most, if not all, 93 in WI is E10.
We have E0 87 at a station here at 30-35 cents higher than E10 87 across the street.

This is why, 5 years ago, I started burning regular in my cars that are built for premium.

I never did notice a drop in my gas mileage... just some loss of pickup.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back