Bosch Brakes

Looking to replace pads and rotors this spring/summer on a 2014 Subaru Outback.
Anyone have history with Bosch?

I have used Perfect Stop from Auto Value stores, says made by Bosch on the box. Think they are a mid level pad, have used on a few vehicles and been happy with the performance and pad life on all of them.

I believe there was a thread here recently about the Bosch pads having a thicker backing plate and thinner friction material than some other pads. Might be worth a look.

My experience is that some are very good and some are average. See if you can find out the friction rating, eg. FF, GG, etc.

i would read the reviews on AMAZON they are not very good, im pretty sure these pads are made in Mexico

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I believe there was a thread here recently about the Bosch pads having a thicker backing plate and thinner friction material than some other pads. Might be worth a look.

You could get away with that, if the pad material was softer, you need more material, but if it's a harder material then you can use a thinner pad.(for the same number of brakes)

I found that other thread. Thank you.
And thanks to all that contributed. My pads are GG, made in Estados Unidos, but I haven't bought the rotors yet.
Seems like the knock offs aren't so good, but the authentic ones are.
I don't wear Prada authentics, but pads and rotors don't need to be compromised.
I'm pushing 90k on the OEMs, so a good replacement would be money well spent. Lot of meat on those original OEM rotors, but good Midwest winters do take their toll.

Originally Posted by ChiTDI
I'm pushing 90k on the OEMs, so a good replacement would be money well spent. Lot of meat on those original OEM rotors, but good Midwest winters do take their toll.

Other than cost, why not use OEM parts as replacements ?

Bosch is an OEM for VW brake pads. They are good. I have been using Stoptech para aramid pads. They stop the car even better but the Bosch pads are not bad at all. The Stoptech pads have saved me from a couple potential accidents. I still have Stoptech pads for a 2006 Jetta 2.5 that I no longer own just collecting dust in their original boxes that I would have used if I did not sell that car.

I once tried ceramic pads on my car and I very quickly got rid of them. They don't stop the car as well but are better for people concerned about the appearance of brake dust. I personally would rather have ugly brake dust coated wheels than a car that does not stop as well as it could. That is even now considering the hideous brake dust on some neglected cars that I am imaging.

The Chinese can make top notch parts if someone from the labeling (non Chinese) company is watching quality control.

Yes China can do quality when they want to. My concern at finding they were made in China is more about ethics. I wonder if I should be supporting a totalitarian regime that is trying to dominate the world. Given a choice I wouldn't buy from China but China is setting out to remove that choice.

Back