Valvoline NextGen Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I've had better scores, I did just snag 10 qts of Val NextGen 5W20 & 5W30(5 qts/each) from PebBoys for $1/qt. My oil stash is virtually nil so, I am stocking up right now!

This is conventional(IDK if there was a SYN). The date code on all is 2017(I called Valvoline to verify), so it's not too old. These are the WHITE bottles(not the highlighter GREEN). And both 5W20 & 5W30 are SN/GF-5 non dexos. The Starburst label DOESN'T say "Energy Conserving" but does say, "Resource Conserving", most likely due to being 50% Recycled Oil.

I've used NextGen in the past(~ 2012-13) however, it came in the highlighter green bottles and thought it was OK at that time. No strange noises coming from the engine.

Any opinions or comment on this oil are welcome.

CB

Last edited:
NextGen has always been a decent brand-name conventional oil. It's nothing special (beyond it's use of more recycled base stock which I'm perfectly fine with and applaud Valvoline for doing so) but it wasn't supposed to be unicorn tears either. You did well at that price.

Ya I think pep boys is only place that still carry's that oil ??? I was honestly SHOCKED to still see it on a retail shelf and at regular price lol

I used it YEARS ago in my old 01 suburban and no issues ??

I do trust "Recycled oil" only if it comes from a name brand top tier company

Dave

Last edited:
PQIA had issues with the NextGen non-MaxLife green, not sure if those were ever resolved. The small amount of dino NG 5W20 I had got fed to the F-450 (fuel),the NextGen ML I've used has been OK, although it does seem to burn off faster than regular red bottle ML.

I've actually been interested in using recycled oil at several times in the past. Problem has always been price and availability. NextGen was the only one I could find on the shelf at same or even higher prices as premium conventional. All other variations were either available only at installers or by mail order where shipping costs washed out any savings. I believe in the technology but the products don't present well in the marketplace.

Look up Safety Kleen, their recycled oil is very popular with fleet customers, large shops, etc. I have yet to find any information that it's inferior to "new" off the shelf oils. If done right, this re-refined oil will deliver the same results as new oil.

Last edited:
Safety Kleen is one that I attempted to buy. A large chain of brake and muffler shops in my old home town used it. They weren't interested in selling me any though unless I was bringing my car in for an oil change special. Retailing quarts or even a couple of cases wasn't their thing.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Look up Safety Kleen, their recycled oil is very popular with fleet customers, large shops, etc. I have yet to find any information that it's inferior to "new" off the shelf oils. If done right, this re-refined oil will deliver the same results as new oil.

And I haven't seen any information stating it's as good as or better than readily available new oil. Oil change shops care about maximizing profits, not the longevity of your vehicle.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I never liked it for this reason: http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Valvolinenextgen.htm

Even if it's volatility was ok, why would anyone pay the same price for a recycled oil as compared to new? Apparently no one did and that's why it was discontinued.

Yes, I did see this today when I searched the PQIA site. But too, this was a 2013 test and for the 5W20.
Although I did buy 5qts of 5W20 & 5 qts of 5W30, the mfg date is in 2017 on what I purchased. So, I hope Valvoline made some changes in the volatility.

Originally Posted by talest
Haven't seen NextGen since 2011.

Yeah, it's been some time for me too and I happen to frequent this PepBoys where I bought these 10 qts. And though I never looked for them specifically, I hadn't seen them before either. I'm sorta curious as to where the dug them up from. And as mentioned earlier, the manufacture date is 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back