What Are These On My Caliper Pistons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a rebuilt caliper for my 98 Expedition today from AZ.
This is the first I have seen these plates clipped into the pistons on Expedition calipers.
I removed them, but not sure why they were there in the first place. Any ideas and are they important? I am thinking they may just be a decoration to hide the pits in the face of the reused piston during the rebuild and make them look more like new.
[Linked Image]

My guess is they're supposed to act like a backing plate to deter squeaking.

How many new threads are we going to get about this brake job?

Originally Posted by Trav
To hide the crappy looking used pistons.

That sums it up, and maybe quiet things down a bit.

Originally Posted by mk378

How many new threads are we going to get about this brake job?

Sorry, not sure about posting protocol. I am not happy to have had so many different questions about an otherwise pretty straight forward brake job either. I just thought different topic, different thread, regardless of job. I would have thought the people who have the knowledge to reply to the post would not be revisiting a previous post that they already made input to.
If protocol is to make one post for a single job, regardless of the topic, then I will consolidate in the future. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Yeah, they are some crappy looking pistons. I hope the seal surfaces are better than the pad contact face.
I would hope there are some decent standards for parts that are reused for caliper rebuilds.
They are Duralast.

My master cylinder emptied while changing a caliper. I actually put my hose in a container while taking my old caliper to the store for replacement and when I got back, it was pretty much empty.
I plan to flush and bleed my 2 front calipers and lines anyways and was planning to flush the rear lines while I was at it. Since the master cylinder is empty, do I need to bleed the master cylinder independently first, or will it bleed itself while pushing fluid through the lines during a flush?

They look like plastic which made me cringe, at first. But apparently they are a solution to some brake noise/vibration problems in some models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back