Costco requiring membership for food court

Public access to Costco pharmacies is governed by state laws. The hearing and optical exams as well, and those services are provided by independent practitioners. Liquor sales also fall into the same situation.

As far a being a "recent" advent, Price Club and Costco were both founded in 1976. They merged in 1993. Sam's Club started in 1983.

Pricing may not necessarily be the lowest, but most of the products meet a minimum standard, and if they don't, their return policy is as liberal as they can come. They also treat their employees well.

I like a deal as much as the next guy, but if low price is the sole motivator, then it becomes a race to the bottom, and there will have to be compromises made somewhere.

Who was the curmudgeon that was banned from here? I think he finally (and thankfully) got the hammer when he was dogging on a kid's first job. Was it Pop Rivit?

Not to sound like him, but food court food from a bulk store sounds terrible.

These stores cater to value shoppers, then of course we wander the aisles of food, smells from the grill trailing us the whole time and have to walk right past the food area to leave.
This is a no-brainer -- If I'm even close to being hungry, a big polish dog on fresh bun with chips and a drink for $2.89 or 3.00 ? Heck, just the time I save by not stopping somewhere else is soooo worth it.

If that kind of a light lunch isn't your thing once in a while, I can understand but for too many reasons, I'd be foolish to pass it up. I probably shop at Sams 2 to 3 times a month and eat one of two of those times. If it's terribly unhealthy, I still may have a few years in me yet.

Costco has 8-9 products I routinely buy, that I cannot find anywhere else. My daughter provides me with free membership.

I would buy Costco gas, if I could find a Visa card that's anywhere near the same Cash-Back allowances I get with my two Mastercards. Besides, I'm too impatient waiting in those long gas lines.

These stores cater to value shoppers,

That's the funny thing. People go to the warehouse clubs to "save money." The problem is it's hard for most people to get out of the place without spending a couple hundred. You need a plan to go in there. I only buy certain things at Sam's.

All of the newer stores have the food courts inside and you have to show your card to get in the store. That sure isn't an issue with me but it does P.O. the free loaders.
I really enjoy my $1.50 beef hotdog and large drink.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Costco has 8-9 products I routinely buy, that I cannot find anywhere else. My daughter provides me with free membership.

I would buy Costco gas, if I could find a Visa card that's anywhere near the same Cash-Back allowances I get with my two Mastercards. Besides, I'm too impatient waiting in those long gas lines.

Costco Gas usually opens at 6:30-7:00 AM.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
All of the newer stores have the food courts inside and you have to show your card to get in the store. That sure isn't an issue with me but it does P.O. the free loaders.
I really enjoy my $1.50 beef hotdog and large drink.

I'm getting old... For the first time, I could not eat 2 hot-dogs.

I go to Costco to buy some products that usually are cheaper than other places or items I find only there. Mainly because for the products I look for, the quality is consistent over the years and across states
And I did get out of Costco couple of times without using a cart, only with couple items.
The extra warranty year for electronics also is good. And the liberal return policy (use it only twice in 5.5 years)

My only times in Costco have been a handful of visits with friends, where I tagged on with their membership. I've never actually bought anything from there. We've always been a Sam's family-partially because it's only been in the last couple of years that Costco has even had stores in this area(Central Kentucky) where Sams has been there since the early 90s if not earlier, and partially because my parents do enough buying for our church that they get a big discount through the "church package."(they pay for their membership, it's just not the regular full price).

To be honest, I've heard good things about the food court, and I enjoy a good hot dog occasionally, but I never even knew you could go there as a non-member. I might have to go try one out before March 16th
smile.gif

I've had memberships to both stores, Costco and Sams, within the past few years.

Here is my take as a mid 30's couple with no kids.

There are very few things that we consume in such a large quantity that requires us to purchase in bulk sizes. Even when you get into laundry products, or paper towels, the cost seemed to be very similar to an HEB grocery store. We don't need 9 sticks of deodorant for four underarms.

The price on electronics was never a deal. I did find their clothing to be a good deal, and they carry good brands.

The meat is EXCELLENT quality, much better than any grocery store, aside from a meat market it is a great value.

We do not drive out of our way to get gas for our cars, it makes no sense, and the savings is virtually nothing.

Never bought oil there, usually the wrong grade, or price was not that great.

If you watch slickdeals you can usually get a "free" membership to Sams, we did that the past few years. The cost of the membership is $40, when you sign up you get a 25 dollar sams gift card, and a free pizza, and a few other things, so its virtually free for the year.

Originally Posted by JustinH
The price on electronics was never a deal. I did find their clothing to be a good deal, and they carry good brands.

The meat is EXCELLENT quality, much better than any grocery store, aside from a meat market it is a great value.

We do not drive out of our way to get gas for our cars, it makes no sense, and the savings is virtually nothing.

If you watch slickdeals you can usually get a "free" membership to Sams, we did that the past few years. The cost of the membership is $40, when you sign up you get a 25 dollar sams gift card, and a free pizza, and a few other things, so its virtually free for the year.

You can also find discounted $25 Costco memberships with a deal similar to Sams. If you're extra cheap, you can just cancel before the end of your year and get all your money back.

The electronics you can get up to a 4 year warranty which is more than most places. Use to be lifetime but too many people abused it.

For meat, they carry prime grade beef. Most of the time grocery stores only go up to choice which is one grade below prime.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I've had memberships to both stores, Costco and Sams, within the past few years.

Here is my take as a mid 30's couple with no kids.

There are very few things that we consume in such a large quantity that requires us to purchase in bulk sizes. Even when you get into laundry products, or paper towels, the cost seemed to be very similar to an HEB grocery store. We don't need 9 sticks of deodorant for four underarms.

As an older, single, no kids person, my experience is even less of a deal. I was a Sam's member when they opened a new location near me and offered a gift card at signup that made the membership $25 for the year (no pizza though).

I would buy their special packs of Allegra when they'd go on special, but in all honestly, I was able to do just as well waiting for the $8-off coupons that are in the Sunday paper every now and then, and stocking up that way.

Electronics; I don't buy enough of them to make a difference so I never priced them.

Gas: Same here, I'd have to go out of my way to save anything and, honestly, with 2 credit cards that offer 5% back at least one quarter a each year, and a ton of Speedway's in my area, I think I'm saving more by getting gift cards when the offer is made, using my Speedy Rewards card, and when I accumulate enough points, buying their blue fuel-only gift card which then gives $0.03/gallon off when you use it. Plus I have the added benefit of not using my credit card at the pump so I shouldn't get my account skimmed that way. I know Dave Ramsey would not approve of this method, but I'm not paying interest and I'm able to save money without his scorched-earth/beans-and-rice methodology so it works for me.

If I had a large family, or had a dog that required bulk purchases of dog food or something like that, I can see this working for someone. But the math just didn't work out for me.

The whole vacuum sealed frozen Rib Eye I cut from all summer was $3.99 a pound at Piggly Wiggly

Prime, nope
Black Angus - nope
Organic- nope

Range fed - yep

The ends were tougher and required special cooking techniques but the rest made delicious and tender steaks and roast beef, meat was flavorful and unevenly marbled depending on how close to the point you were.

I am not picky on what I eat and just buy whatever meat is priced decently, $3.99 lb for me is a splurge but well worth it for ribeye, even if it's range fed.

2 summers ago I bought a bunch of organic Elk hearts, tongue and liver the farm market had left over.
Tongue is delicious especially at $2/lb, my grandmother would be proud.

Seems like decent priced meat isn't hard to find and all the non meat products are about the same price everywhere

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Costco Gas usually opens at 6:30-7:00 AM.

I know Costco hours..... station too. I work during those ^posted^ hours. I've devoted my retirement years (so far) to transporting special needs kids in the AM..... sometimes as early as 5:30AM.

I bought two bottles of Worcester sauce for about 70% of the price of one at the local grocery store last week, among other things that would be more at a grocery store.

Can one of you explain how that is more than a grocery store?

I've saved more than $55 so far since I renewed my membership in August just by buying gasoline there.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. UPS just dropped off 20 quarts of Kirkland 0W-20. I paid $65 for it.

That's a $36 minimum savings right there over Walmart and I didn't have to go to one of their filthy stores.

Originally Posted by hatt
These stores cater to value shoppers,

That's the funny thing. People go to the warehouse clubs to "save money." The problem is it's hard for most people to get out of the place without spending a couple hundred. You need a plan to go in there. I only buy certain things at Sam's.

+
If that couple hundred just adds up as one walks thru shopping on impulse, def a catch-22.
My wife and I are on her employers ticket so we have the Business card and don't pay for it. She get office or work supplies. To save enough justifying these cards ... $40 or $50 annually ? That would be fairly easy for just the two of us and I'd count some benefit to gas prices there and time savings. We can get grocery needs at the time she is there to get office stuff.

As for value, I was thinking that in terms of my cheapie meal actually. Three bucks in those instances is four to six less than my typical lunch on the run or out to eat.
As for spending a couple hundred, might be a months worth of groceries for some families. One trip to town netting the goods at better prices for savings is dropping few bucks at once and also saving trips, gas and time by eliminating multiple trips.
I'm more time sensitive than price though and getting the brands or products we like means three stops; Our preferred grocer, a Walmart and Sams on the same path within a 10 minute drive.
I don't mind running out for an item now and then but I really want to avoid the habit I was in of going to the store every 2 or 3 days. Menu / meal planning = better.

Last edited:
Back