Recent Topics
Trailblazer tire pressures
by zrxkawboy - 03/31/20 06:01 AM
Lincoln MKZ hybrid / Sitting for 6+ weeks
by Ammofirst - 03/31/20 04:01 AM
Megapulse VEE System
by toyota62 - 03/31/20 01:35 AM
If only I had more time...
by 14Accent - 03/31/20 12:34 AM
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 availability.
by LTZ10 - 03/30/20 11:01 PM
Brake Fluid testing - moisture & copper
by DIY4quality - 03/30/20 10:49 PM
My E46 with BMW Style 225M wheels
by SLO_Town - 03/30/20 10:49 PM
2019/2020 VW Jetta GLI
by TCU_Adam - 03/30/20 10:00 PM
Inner Core Oil Filter
by QuangTeo - 03/30/20 09:56 PM
245/65/R17
by KE7JFF - 03/30/20 09:42 PM
Replace fuel sending unit or just roll with it?
by cwilliamsws6 - 03/30/20 09:37 PM
lawn sprinkler troubleshooting
by Burt - 03/30/20 07:44 PM
Air conditioner in a toyota avalon
by ChrisSnowden - 03/30/20 06:11 PM
CV axle shaft vertical play?
by JHZR2 - 03/30/20 05:29 PM
This is how it's done!
by Mad_Hatter - 03/30/20 04:56 PM
Android to PC pictures?
by Eddie - 03/30/20 04:30 PM
Crazy fixes that worked
by IMSA_Racing_Fan - 03/30/20 01:39 PM
Cadillac CTS 4 AWD driveline care and feeding
by IMSA_Racing_Fan - 03/30/20 12:13 PM
Newest Members
SantiagoT, cabriopeugeot, Z08969, TCU_Adam, deaner1979
71063 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
103 registered members (1978elcamino, 2004tdigls, 10ecfarmer, 55hambone, 007, 4WD, 10 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics303,499
Posts5,235,272
Members71,063
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 10 11 12
Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: dnewton3] #5322997 01/15/20 12:25 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 319
E
Exhaustgases Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 319
There is no one size fits all transmission fluid. Using the wrong fluid with the wrong or incorrect mixture of friction modifiers will in time ruin the transmission, I know of many older Lexus transmissions ruined by Maxlife. In the 50's and 60's that is the type F and Type A days you for sure would not want to use Type A in the Type F application.

Start at 2:33 to at least 3:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV-ri4rOHRI

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: nthach] #5322999 01/15/20 12:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,896
dave1251 Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,896
Valvoline knows what it has and what it needs in the lubrication business. It is a highly respected company with its own R&D and testing. Combine this with Afton who blends the additive package for Maxlife ATF and Afton's own resources and the product sold will be second to none as far as quality.

ATF is does the same functions and despite the bragging from many manufacturers on how their automatic transmissions are great and different in reality automatic transmissions are a lot more similar than different.


make the inside of your engine oil cap white.
don't use.
Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: Exhaustgases] #5323398 01/15/20 12:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,545
N
nthach Offline
Offline
N
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,545
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
I know of many older Lexus transmissions ruined by Maxlife.

I wouldn't say ruined, but I tried MaxLife in a Lexus-spec A341E that called for T-II fluid, a high-viscosity FM ATF. The shifts were different in a subtle way. I used Castrol IMV instead and it was better. IME, if I use a "universal" ATF in a Toyota calling for T-IV, I'll use Castrol instead. Even though MaxLife is close to used, sheared down mineral T-IV viscomatically, it just feels slightly different to me. I can't put my finger on it.

Which is weird, I've used MaxLife in a few Nissans and a Subaru calling for Dex/Merc or Matic-J/Subaru HP and they shifted as well as they've always been. GM backspeced DexVI for older applications, and Honda did the same with DW-1 replacing Z-1. Nissan also backspeced Matic-S in place of Matic-J. All of those new OEM fluids are LV fluids, what does Toyota know that we don't?

Last edited by nthach; 01/15/20 12:55 PM.
Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: nthach] #5323467 01/15/20 01:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,858
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,858
Originally Posted by nthach
I wouldn't say ruined, but I tried MaxLife in a Lexus-spec A341E that called for T-II fluid, a high-viscosity FM ATF. The shifts were different in a subtle way. I used Castrol IMV instead and it was better. IME, if I use a "universal" ATF in a Toyota calling for T-IV, I'll use Castrol instead. Even though MaxLife is close to used, sheared down mineral T-IV viscomatically, it just feels slightly different to me. I can't put my finger on it.

Which is weird, I've used MaxLife in a few Nissans and a Subaru calling for Dex/Merc or Matic-J/Subaru HP and they shifted as well as they've always been. GM backspeced DexVI for older applications, and Honda did the same with DW-1 replacing Z-1. Nissan also backspeced Matic-S in place of Matic-J. All of those new OEM fluids are LV fluids, what does Toyota know that we don't?

Yes I would agree that those statements are quite a bit different than "ruined."


1994 BMW 530i, 252K
1996 Honda Accord, 288K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 434K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 284K
Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: Exhaustgases] #5326677 01/19/20 12:43 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 319
E
Exhaustgases Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 319
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
There is no one size fits all transmission fluid. Using the wrong fluid with the wrong or incorrect mixture of friction modifiers will in time ruin the transmission, I know of many older Lexus transmissions ruined by Maxlife. In the 50's and 60's that is the type F and Type A days you for sure would not want to use Type A in the Type F application.

Start at 2:33 to at least 3:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV-ri4rOHRI


Just watch the video and learn some good stuff. He is a college professor.

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: dnewton3] #5327809 01/20/20 12:53 PM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 8,414
dnewton3 Offline OP
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 8,414
The legal claims reviewer has contacted me and I'm awaiting info regarding the discrepancy between what I was told and the documents. It's been a week so far and no information past that.


The act of preventative maintenance, in and of itself, is FAR MORE important than brand/grade/base choices among lubes and filters.
- under maintaining something is akin to abuse/neglect; that can kill equipment by shortening the lifespan
- over maintaining something has never been proven to be anything but a waste of time and money
Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: dnewton3] #5327882 01/20/20 02:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,170
A
aquariuscsm Online Content
Online Content
A
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,170
Transmissions are expensive and finicky. I would use oem only.


1996 Nissan 300ZX 5-speed,Arctic Pearl(#175 of 300)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10W30
2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4,auto,San Marino Red
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W20

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: dnewton3] #5328112 01/20/20 07:08 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,030
A
AC1DD Offline
Offline
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,030
Originally Posted by dnewton3
The legal claims reviewer has contacted me and I'm awaiting info regarding the discrepancy between what I was told and the documents. It's been a week so far and no information past that.



If you receive no further information that clarifies the issue, and I believe you will NOT (just some carefully worded drivel that thanks you for your inquiry) we all know
that Valvoline doesn't stand behind it's product.

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: dnewton3] #5356278 02/21/20 09:05 AM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 8,414
dnewton3 Offline OP
Global Moderator
OP Offline
Global Moderator
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 8,414
ALL -

I have had several emails go back and forth between me and their legal counsel in regard to this topic. Here is her reply ...

Quote
Mr. Newton,

In doing my research, the two documents you provided do not appear to be current documents used by Valvoline. The information provided to you by Customer Service is correct.


Kristie Spencer
Senior Claims Specialist
Law Department I Valvoline
100 Valvoline Way I Lexington, KY 40509


Bottom line: The former and previous written warranty statements are null and void. The "customer service" agents told me correctly. They do NOT offer any written warranty whatsoever.

I find it a bit disingenuous that the CS agents say "Hey - we'll make it right, but we don't warrant our products." That is misleading and IMO illegal in that they are promising something they are purposely discrediting.

The only warranty which would apply is that of "implied" merchant-ability per the M/M Act.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law
The "merchantability" aspect would only cover things implied by State laws, etc.

Though my query was specific to MaxLife ATF, I believe this would apply to any of their products, excepting the specific written statements they have about their engine warranty program you must sign up for to propel a claim.

Last edited by dnewton3; 02/21/20 09:09 AM.

The act of preventative maintenance, in and of itself, is FAR MORE important than brand/grade/base choices among lubes and filters.
- under maintaining something is akin to abuse/neglect; that can kill equipment by shortening the lifespan
- over maintaining something has never been proven to be anything but a waste of time and money
Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: AC1DD] #5356716 02/21/20 07:03 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,030
A
AC1DD Offline
Offline
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,030
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by dnewton3
The legal claims reviewer has contacted me and I'm awaiting info regarding the discrepancy between what I was told and the documents. It's been a week so far and no information past that.



If you receive no further information that clarifies the issue, and I believe you will NOT (just some carefully worded drivel that thanks you for your inquiry) we all know
that Valvoline doesn't stand behind it's product.



Can't say I didn't tell you. Valvoline does NOT back it's products.

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: dnewton3] #5356757 02/21/20 07:55 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 962
W
wdn Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 962
To summarize: Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not warranted. It meets no certifications either and is not licensed nor evaluated by any OEM auto maker. It says recommended for just about any transmission, because it recommends its own product: no auto maker recommends it. Similar to how Burger King recommends you buy a Whopper for lunch. It even recommends itself for ATF specs that are mutually incompatible with each other, such that it would be impossible for one product to meet both specs, such as both Hyundai SP-III and SP-IV M.

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: wdn] #5357085 02/22/20 08:02 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,030
A
AC1DD Offline
Offline
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,030
Originally Posted by wdn
To summarize: Valvoline recommends its own product: no auto maker recommends it. Similar to how Burger King recommends you buy a Whopper for lunch. It even recommends itself for ATF specs that are mutually incompatible with each other

LOL crazy crzy happy

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: AC1DD] #5357262 02/22/20 12:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,086
4WD Online Confused
Online Confused
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,086
Yeah, exactly the same … So I will keep up business with both … wink

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: dnewton3] #5358050 02/23/20 12:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,615
T
tig1 Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,615
FWIW. My 2017 Fusion calls for Mercon LV ATF. On my first D&F The ATF was very dark at 26K. Re-filled with Valvo Max LV and never thought the trans shifted as well. Several weeks ago I changed over to M1 LV ATF and have noticed improvement in shifting, up and down. M1 LV is not spec'd for this trans, but the Vis is close the MC LV.

Last edited by tig1; 02/23/20 01:00 PM.

2007 Ford Fusion 255,000 miles
M1 5-20HM
2017 Ford Fusion 86K
M1 0-20EP
10,000 mile OCIs on both engines
M1 ATF and M1 LV HP ATF
M1 10-30 in all OPE
MC filters

Re: A word of caution regarding Valvoline Maxlife ATF [Re: wdn] #5358053 02/23/20 01:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,615
T
tig1 Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 14,615
Originally Posted by wdn
To summarize: Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not warranted. It meets no certifications either and is not licensed nor evaluated by any OEM auto maker. It says recommended for just about any transmission, because it recommends its own product: no auto maker recommends it. Similar to how Burger King recommends you buy a Whopper for lunch. It even recommends itself for ATF specs that are mutually incompatible with each other, such that it would be impossible for one product to meet both specs, such as both Hyundai SP-III and SP-IV M.

Fully agree with that.


2007 Ford Fusion 255,000 miles
M1 5-20HM
2017 Ford Fusion 86K
M1 0-20EP
10,000 mile OCIs on both engines
M1 ATF and M1 LV HP ATF
M1 10-30 in all OPE
MC filters

Page 11 of 12 1 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™