Best beginner press?

I've played around and had success with Lee Loaders and am ready to make the step up to a press setup (need to full length resize some stuff). Mostly rifle, some pistol . . . hobby level stuff.

The RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme looks like the best thing going, but I'm open to any suggestions . . . and wondering if I'll regret not going with a turret (of which I like the New-ish Lyman).

I usually 'invest' in the middle of the road as far as equipment goes. Better than I need, but always good enough . . .

I got my Rock Chucker Supreme in 1973 its turned out 10's of thousands of rounds and just keeps doing so. Look around at gun shows/gun forums and you can pick up some quality equipment for a very reasonable. My experience tells me the turret equipment unless you go to a higher level like the Dillion don't waste your money.

In my opinion , the Lee Cast Iron Turret Press is the best value for the money .

https://leeprecision.com/4-hole-classic-turret-press.html

If you go for a single stage press , I suggest this one .

https://leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html

How ever , the Challenger , is not bad . Although , I personally see the breech lock system as more a solution in search of a problem . My Challenger press is an older one that does not have / use the breech lock system .

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-press.html

I've had Hornady single stage press for about 15 years and a Hornady progressive press for over 10 years. Very happy with both of them. The single stage is my favorite; love how it slows you down and allows a high level of consistency.

Originally Posted by MVFarms
I've played around and had success with Lee Loaders and am ready to make the step up to a press setup (need to full length resize some stuff). Mostly rifle, some pistol . . . hobby level stuff.

The RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme looks like the best thing going, but I'm open to any suggestions . . . and wondering if I'll regret not going with a turret (of which I like the New-ish Lyman).

I usually 'invest' in the middle of the road as far as equipment goes. Better than I need, but always good enough . . .

RCBS Rock Chucker is very nice. Based on your "middle of the road" comment that would be your best choice. I use a lot of RCBS reloading equipment these days and I really like it.

I started with the extremely manual Lee Handloader kits in the beginning and then bought the Lee Anniversary kit, along with a better RCBS hand priming tool, and have been using the Lee Challenger press for 19 years, now. It works. My freind has the RCBS Rock Chucker and it is a step up from the Lee Challenger.

I think you are smart to stay away from the turret style presses, especially as a beginner. Afterall, with ammo prices as low as they have been in the last 10+ years, it's tough to reload some calibers for much less than you can buy factory ammo. You can make *better* ammo than the factory stuff, though, but you don't typically do that on turret presses. For accuracy, it's about quality, not quantity, and single stage presses are better for that.

Last edited:
depends on how much ammo you load a year . i go through 10k plus and a single stage would be torture. if you want all around can do most stuff a dllion 550 will do both rifle and pistol . you can use it as both a single and progessive.

With out doubt the best press to learn on is a Dillon 550. I started loading in 1976 with a Rock Chucker press a friend left at my house for me to use. 1991 I bought a Dillion 550 and I am still happy.. i have taught 5 people to reload on the Dillon 550 and they all purchased their own Dillon 550s and are very happy. I have loaded on the Dillon 550 38 special and 357 mag , 9mm, 40S&W, 45acp, 223, 308, 30. 06, 300 Weatherby mag and 338 Lapua

Originally Posted by CT8
With out doubt the best press to learn on is a Dillon 550. I started loading in 1976 with a Rock Chucker press a friend left at my house for me to use. 1991 I bought a Dillion 550 and I am still happy.. i have taught 5 people to reload on the Dillon 550 and they all purchased their own Dillon 550s and are very happy. I have loaded on the Dillon 550 38 special and 357 mag , 9mm, 40S&W, 45acp, 223, 308, 30. 06, 300 Weatherby mag and 338 Lapua

I would second that and add if you wanted to start slowly and build up, you could buy the BL550 which is in essence a single stage press like a Rock Chucker. The difference is the BL500 can be converted to an RL550 and become a progressive press WITHOUT losing the investment like you would with nearly any other single stage press. I have 2 XL650's, 1 RL550C, and an SL900 from Dillon and their total "no-BS" warranty is the best on the market. I sold an RL550B a few years ago that had reloaded no less than 100K rounds and it was still going strong.

For precision rifle, consider Forster co-ax (if you're interested in precision, as opposed to mass reloading).

Last edited:
I've got the Lee Classic Cast and like how it confines the spent primers. It will do it all with ease. Even 50 cal. Case forming is a breeze. And the three point mounting system.

The Rockchucker kit is pretty decent. If you aren't planning on shooting a ton the single stage presses are fine. Even if you do decide to go progressive later having a single stage around is nice.

A RockChucker was my first press. Big and monstrously heavy. Worked fine. Sold it long ago in college. Used a Lee hand press thereafter (still have that one).

Had a Lee Challenger. Not bad.

Have a Lee Classic Cast. Excellent press, and a far better value than any of the other companies' wares.

I'd like to try a Forster Co-Ax one day.

Snoop around yard sales and Craig's List there tends to be a lot of really nice reloading gear. My buddy just landed a whole load of first class gear someone was selling off a deceased relatives estate. He said you see a lot of reloading gear like that if you like wandering around some.
I'm still using the same Rock chucker I bought in1982. It does the deed . For dies I have a mix of Lee and RCBS. They all do the deed. Lee are a lot cheaper while RCBS are nicer, pick your poison.

Last edited:
IMO I'd go right to the Dillon 550. I did this because I like ,44spl, but it's $$ per round even in bulk.

Decap, clean, dry, fill.

Not that simple, but my 2c. Build the process and muscle memory.

As far as reloading quantity . . . probably pretty little relatively:

I foresee batches . . . probably:
100 x 223 at a time
50 x 30-06 at a time
50 x 30-30 at a time
20 x 243 at a time
20 x 45-70 at a time
Not even sure I'll get into pistol

More just to enjoy the process than being a time/money saver. Maybe 90 mins per week as relaxation . . .

re: $

I'm thinking a $200 limit for the press . . . so that may exclude Dillon.

I've already got scale, case trimmers and other stuff, but the kits do look like a good deal to have backup accessories, so I may go over that budget to get a kit.

Originally Posted by MVFarms
re: $

I'm thinking a $200 limit for the press . . . so that may exclude Dillon.

I've already got scale, case trimmers and other stuff, but the kits do look like a good deal to have backup accessories, so I may go over that budget to get a kit.

Well if you aren't doing any major case reforming or 50 Caliber or the real big magnum cases I'd simply pick up an RCBS Jr. probably around $50 if its like new and should last you a lifetime.

Back