Equinox/terrain.. fwd with snow tires or awd? (Iowa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SteveG4
I've put 120,000 miles on my 2013 AWD Equinox in both Alaska and Wisconsin. So, I believe I can speak to them with some authority.

Most of the time in Alaska and Wisconsin -- including winters -- I've run Michelin Latitude Tour P225/65R17 tires on it. I have been very pleased with these all-season tires on the Equinox. There's a reason for this I believe: the sipes, cuts or grooves in these Michelins are visibly deeper than many other brands. I believe they spread under load and provide improved traction compared to other similar tires. As the tires wear, the deep cuts will maintain traction longer, I believe. These Michelins do well in winter, they are not a hazard.

I do own a set of Bridgestone Bilzzak tires for the Equinox as well. I only put them on one winter in Alaska, forgetting or just plain skipping them subsequent years -- didn't feel they were absolutely necessary with my cautious defensive driving in my 40's and 50's.

Obviously, these Blizzak tires are better in the winter. But with Iowa winters being what they are, the Michelin all-seasons would be fine on an AWD 'Nox.

Again, this comes from someone with 120,000 miles on his AWD 'Nox... with a great majority of it in winter conditions.

Moreover, my current set of Latitude Tour tires have been down the Alaska-Canada Highway (Al-Can Hwy), 3350 miles of road between Palmer, Alaska and Milwaukee, WI. 60,000 miles later, I'm thinking about changing them out with another set or a new Michelin A/S.

My Best!

Believe it or not, EVERYONE in even Iowa, and many other states should always have winter tires from my experience.

Originally Posted by Traction
Originally Posted by SteveG4
I've put 120,000 miles on my 2013 AWD Equinox in both Alaska and Wisconsin. So, I believe I can speak to them with some authority.

Most of the time in Alaska and Wisconsin -- including winters -- I've run Michelin Latitude Tour P225/65R17 tires on it. I have been very pleased with these all-season tires on the Equinox. There's a reason for this I believe: the sipes, cuts or grooves in these Michelins are visibly deeper than many other brands. I believe they spread under load and provide improved traction compared to other similar tires. As the tires wear, the deep cuts will maintain traction longer, I believe. These Michelins do well in winter, they are not a hazard.

I do own a set of Bridgestone Bilzzak tires for the Equinox as well. I only put them on one winter in Alaska, forgetting or just plain skipping them subsequent years -- didn't feel they were absolutely necessary with my cautious defensive driving in my 40's and 50's.

Obviously, these Blizzak tires are better in the winter. But with Iowa winters being what they are, the Michelin all-seasons would be fine on an AWD 'Nox.

Again, this comes from someone with 120,000 miles on his AWD 'Nox... with a great majority of it in winter conditions.

Moreover, my current set of Latitude Tour tires have been down the Alaska-Canada Highway (Al-Can Hwy), 3350 miles of road between Palmer, Alaska and Milwaukee, WI. 60,000 miles later, I'm thinking about changing them out with another set or a new Michelin A/S.

My Best!

Believe it or not, EVERYONE in even Iowa, and many other states should always have winter tires from my experience.

I sometimes think the worse winter weather is actually below Canada. At least for driving. Once good and cold the snow tends to act properly. But the closer you hover around the freezing mark, the more variable it becomes. And icing becomes a real problem, roads thaw and freeze, but when it's super cold they don't do that.

I also think heavy traffic comes into play. When you're a lone vehicle on a road, you can drive whatever speed. When you're packed into a group, you can be pressured into driving faster, or simply be the victim of someone else's mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back