Scrap value of this catalytic converter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called one scrap dealer who said he will pay $670 based on todays price. It's an hour away so I can't make it today but will certainly get out tomorrow.

$670 what is a great price. Maybe I should put straight pipes on my cars and scrap my cats
lol.gif

Originally Posted by diyjake
$670 what is a great price. Maybe I should put straight pipes on my cars and scrap my cats
lol.gif

Good luck passing emissions then LOL!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes, they have a variety of platinum group metals that have some value.

And it isn't illegal to sell a used one, but it is required that you have the means and ability to test the converter for structural integrity and performance prior to sale. Very few scrap yards have this ability so the practical conclusion is that no one is selling them.

Did all of those eBay auctions actually complete or were some terminated early?

Don't know about your state. But in California it IS ILLEGAL to sale used catalytic converters to consumers. Only to the scrappers.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Got $688 for it today.

Man that's flippin' awesome for you, but I wonder how is this possible?

I deal with the same type of catalysts at work quite often and we send ours out to be "re-fired" when it's possible because of the expense of it. The stuff is expensive, but there's no way this 20yrs/old catalytic converter contains that much value in materials.

That converter would have to be one that utilizes a high percentage of rhodium, there's no other practical way to get to that scrap value.

Or could someone possibly have a mint 2000 Ford ZX2 that they need this part to keep it to factory specs and emissions compliance and are willing to throw ~$700 at it
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by atikovi
Got $688 for it today.

Man that's flippin' awesome for you, but I wonder how is this possible?

I deal with the same type of catalysts at work quite often and we send ours out to be "re-fired" when it's possible because of the expense of it. The stuff is expensive, but there's no way this 20yrs/old catalytic converter contains that much value in materials.

All depends on the numbers stamped on the cat. Was going to sell the identical cat off a year newer car and put in a $150 aftermarket one. Thinking I would make an additional $500 profit on a $2-3K car. Whoo who! Checked the numbers on it before removing and saw they were a little different. They would only give $276 for it. Not worth the hassle for that.

1998 323i I just picked up. Ran horribly, backfiring, thought it was a clogged cat. No change with it off. Scrap guy noticed the exhaust against the wall yesterday and ran the numbers. Offered 450 for them. I paid 350 for the car. Bye bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back