Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this oil? Never heard of it as Havoline is not repped well in our town. QS and PYB are the mainstream. Specfically the 5w-20.

Does it do good on long OCI's?
How about wear numbers?

It used to be a Texaco product, but Texaco merged with Chevron a while back. Texaco was, Chevron is a major player and Chevron is a top tier energy company. I actually run their 5w-40 ProDS Euro in my Colorado Duramax.

Last edited:
I used Havoline oils almost exclusively throughout the '80s - the early 2000's. It was always cheap in my area. Often buying it on sale at whatever store it was sold at and a rebate to boot. I was buying it for anywhere between .029¢-.069¢ per quart when purchasing a whole case(12qts) after all discounts & rebates.

The volatility rating looks pretty bad at 13.4%. I bet this will vaporize thru the PCV system a lot easier than a conventional 5w-20 at arounr 7.8%.

I never knew why car "burned more synthetic" and now I wonder if this rating has something to do with it.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
The volatility rating looks pretty bad at 13.4%. I bet this will vaporize thru the PCV system a lot easier than a conventional 5w-20 at arounr 7.8%.

I never knew why car "burned more synthetic" and now I wonder if this rating has something to do with it.

13.4% is "pretty bad"? You should email GM your thoughts on that. Fwiw, 13% or better is what Dexos requires. And let me know where you buy that 8% dino..I wanna pick some up!

I've swapped over to Havoline ProDS for the value and convenient packaging. Used to use Mobil1 almost exclusively.

Chevron seems to make good stuff.

My Fusion 2.5 never sees a change on the dipstick during an OCI, in the 5.8qt sump I use the whole package, being a 6 quart package is why I use it. The oil has been fine so far and seems to be more quiet than motorcraft oil.

I run 5w-30 in 2019 Ram with Hemi and 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe use the 5w-30 at 5k mile OCI and no issues.
Order the 6 quart box thru Walmart..cheap

*The link is not a D1 / Gen 2 rated oil as calcium is over 2,000 ... I would have to believe the NOACK would be lower now in the 5W20 as well as the calcium for LSPI concerns..

Used it the UOA came back absolutely great used a half a shy half quart of oil for the entire OCI 6784 miles.
Use this product with full confidence and don't look back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

*The link is not a D1 / Gen 2 rated oil as calcium is over 2,000 ... I would have to believe the NOACK would be lower now in the 5W20 as well as the calcium for LSPI concerns..

most 5W-20 oils are not Dexos anything rated as 5W-20 is generally a Ford spec oil weight.....

Originally Posted by tundraotto

most 5W-20 oils are not Dexos anything rated as 5W-20 is generally a Ford spec oil weight.....

Amalie, Castrol, Citgo, Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, Valvoline and Warren Distribution are some of the companies that offer 5W-20 oils that are D1G2 licensed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by farrarfan1

Amalie, Castrol, Citgo, Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, Valvoline and Warren Distribution are some of the companies that offer 5W-20 oils that are D1G2 licensed.

I specifically said most - If you care to look at the official Dexos list you will see that 5W-20 is the exception.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

Originally Posted by farrarfan1

I specifically said most - If you care to look at the official Dexos list you will see that 5W-20 is the exception.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

I did, and the companies I listed produce most of the oil sold in the U.S. under their name or various house brands, and they all offer 5W-20 oils that are D1G2.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I used Havoline oils almost exclusively throughout the '80s - the early 2000's. It was always cheap in my area. Often buying it on sale at whatever store it was sold at and a rebate to boot. I was buying it for anywhere between .029¢-.069¢ per quart when purchasing a whole case(12qts) after all discounts & rebates.
Right. Advance Auto used to have sales and rebates like that on Havoline, and on their store brand, which I believe was the same stuff for a while in the 1990s. No more!

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

The new PDS is showing NOACK at 11% for the 5w20 and 12.3% for the 5w30.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=518483&docFormat=PDF

Considering Chevron is rather well known for their reluctance to spend money on marketing or labeling I wouldn't be surprised if their 5w20 meets the D1G2 standard and they simply don't pay for the license on a grade that very few GM vehicles require. You'll note it caries the updated Ford -B1 spec.

GM has committed to 0w20 as its preferred grade so why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back