First time any Toyota in the family has failed to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by grampi
....but I've never seen a battery go bad at just 3 years old.

but this is unacceptable for a vehicle this new with less than 30K miles. Luckily, my wife was at home and not out somewhere stranded.

Replace the batteries in all of your vehicles every 2 years as preventative maintenance. It's cheap insurance and keeps you and your family safer....

Brand new Recon batteries are $35 at the Battery Mart, can easily afford a new one often but my one recon is going on 5 years

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

but this is unacceptable for a vehicle this new with less than 30K miles. Luckily, my wife was at home and not out somewhere stranded.

Replace the batteries in all of your vehicles every 2 years as preventative maintenance. It's cheap insurance and keeps you and your family safer....

Brand new Recon batteries are $35 at the Battery Mart, can easily afford a new one often but my one recon is going on 5 years

What is a "reconditioned" battery? Never heard of that before. Sounds sketchy.
lol.gif

For many years I have been averaging 3 to 4 years on batteries, regardless of brand or capacity. The motorcycle battery in my wife's Honda CR-V fails like clockwork every 3 years, regardless of brand. The only batteries I have ever owned that lasted longer were the old maintenance-free Delcos (before JCI bought them out). The pro-rated warranties that the battery companies offer are worthless IMO.

Replace the batteries in all of ychanour vehicles every 2 years as preventative maintenance. It's cheap insurance and keeps you and your family safer....

Yep-
I change the air in my tires every season, too. Change the winter air to summer air when it gets warmer. Can't be too safe, ya know

The OEM battery in my '94 Toyota Tercel lasted 11 years...just sayin...

Batteries being replaced at 2 years for preventative maintenance? Talk about wasting money...
crazy.gif

Just buy a battery load tester and test it once in awhile.

The battery in my 2009 BMW is original, and it still kicked over strong at 9* F this morning. I've only had one battery die before 3+ years and it was an Optima that had a dead cell.

I think some of you missed the sarcasm in hallstevenson's comment. The ellipse is a dead giveaway. It's right in line with the notion of, you should always trade out of a car before 100k, that way your loved ones never have to deal with a break down (or even scheduled maintenance).

Originally Posted by supton
I think some of you missed the sarcasm in hallstevenson's comment. The ellipse is a dead giveaway. It's right in line with the notion of, you should always trade out of a car before 100k, that way your loved ones never have to deal with a break down (or even scheduled maintenance).

You're right I did.
blush.gif

This is BITOG though.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by AC1DD

lol.gif

Very.

And how can something be "brand new" and "reconditioned?" It's either one or the other...

Interstate sells (or used to sell) "reconditioned" batteries to used car dealers and wholesalers, right off of the Interstate Batteries trucks. They were about half the price of "new" batteries and only had a 30 day warranty. The Interstate salesmen never fessed-up about how they were reconditioned. They are (were) junk, often times only lasting a month or two, just long enough for the vehicle to be sold.
Batteries are a big problem in the used car industry. A very high percentage of used vehicles are traded-in with old/weak/bad batteries and the used car industry has to deal with them. Tires and batteries are the most common items that used car dealers have to replace on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
Originally Posted by AC1DD

lol.gif

Very.

And how can something be "brand new" and "reconditioned?" It's either one or the other...

They are in effect BLEMS some had a damaged terminal or case, deep cut/scratch and were fixed up.

I've always had very good luck with them and usually put them in cars that have a slow short and aren't used much, abuse the crap out of them and they keep working despite only having a 3 month warranty

That said my OEM battery in the Cobalt is over 10 years old and works great

Last edited:

So did the original battery in my '93 Toyota 4wd pickup with the 22RE. Still in service with well over 350K miles.

Originally Posted by wag123
For many years I have been averaging 3 to 4 years on batteries, regardless of brand or capacity. The motorcycle battery in my wife's Honda CR-V fails like clockwork every 3 years, regardless of brand. The only batteries I have ever owned that lasted longer were the old maintenance-free Delcos (before JCI bought them out). The pro-rated warranties that the battery companies offer are worthless IMO.

We replaced the original Delco battery in the 2002 GMC Sierra in 2014 (12 years) and my mom's 99 Alero went 10 years on the original Delco also. The newer Delco I got used and put in my Caprice died after only 5 years though. The previous battery was 9 years old before it died.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by supton
I think some of you missed the sarcasm in hallstevenson's comment. The ellipse is a dead giveaway.

What ellipse?

Apologies--ellipsis.

That vehicle had hardly nothing running while that was "off"...... Newer vehicles run a number of functions while "off".... Especially if your key fob is still in contact with that vehicle... Which my key fob for my car can and does catch my car for quite a long distance away... And I'm inside my place and I can still unlock and lock my car very easily.

I have a 2008 sienna with 336,000 miles on it. I bought it in July of 2008. I have had to replace the battery every 2 years with the exception of this last battery I bought in October of 2017. I hope this battery dies before this October. Why? If it does not last 3 years, I then get a new battery free from AZ. It has a 3 year free replacement, after that I pay on a prorated basis. For me,every other battery is free. Due to the warm weather we have here in Arizona, the batteries don't last too long.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by bbhero
By the way..... Dianne was pretty pretty... Always good to help out a pretty and nice lady.

What about the ugly ones? Don't help them out too?
lol.gif

Sympathy "Jump" ?

My sienna while slightly older has given more life than about any battery I've had. I use East penn batteries. The Toyota battery was leaking pretty good prompting the replacement. I use a 24F size in mine.

The East Penn batteries do last longer. If you belong to Sam's Club they have a 20% sale in March/April each year that brings the price down to $82.15 on the Duracell 24F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back