KIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is Hyundai purchased KIA ? Been reading about engine problems with Hyundai . Do the KIA vehicles use the same engines as Hyundai ? Are the KIA vehicles having engine problems , too ?

Hyundai and KIA are like Chevy and Pontiac, Ford and Mercury, Dodge and Plymouth, etc. and have been for quite a while now.

Is Hyundai / KIA actually fixing the problems , when they recall a vehicle ? Or " band-aiding " the problem ?

I thought this thread was going to be about we lost a soldier that's deployed. Glad it wasn't.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I thought this thread was going to be about we lost a soldier that's deployed. Glad it wasn't.

Yeah and every time I hear someone getting killed in a KIA I'm always thinking that it was bad luck to buy a car with those initials. Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

Kia has an alternative badge available that doesn't say KIA, which to many armed service folks means KILLED IN ACTION. People do swap them out ...

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Is Hyundai / KIA actually fixing the problems , when they recall a vehicle ? Or " band-aiding " the problem ?

They are replacing engines and from a couple of boards i belong to, not giving any hassle in doing so.

Hyundai owns about 60% of KIA and much of their product lines cross-pollinate, but it's not quite the same as a Chevy/Buick arrangement where they are just different brandings of the same company. The KIA Soul for example is unique to KIA and not found in the Hyundai line. But our KIA Sedona has a Hyundai engine in it.

I don't know what's going on with their engines, but it's been going on a while and I keep hearing it's fixed and then it turns out not. Safest bet with Hyundia/KIA right now is to get a V6. All of the engine problems have been 4 cylinders. We have lost two 1.6 4 cyl Hyundai engines here at work in the last year both with less than 40k on them. And I believe it the 2.0's that are notorious for issues in the Sonata and Optima.

Yes, the 2.4l, 2.0t also known as the Theta II is the majority of their problems. They claimed it was fixed with the re-design that detuned it to 185hp in 2015, but then those started failing too. The 2.0nu (non-turbo) seems to be less problematic, though its earlier 1.8l version did end up having less severe problems related to piston slap and scored cylinder walls.

I had a Theta II 2.4l in my Sonata that I got rid of when it first started showing signs of trouble. It ran nice for the most part, and had plenty of power too. An otherwise very nice car.

As another post wrote above, they seem to be giving less hassle about replacing them. I just didn't want to go through the trouble/hassle of dealing with the breakdown.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Yeah and every time I hear someone getting killed in a KIA I'm always thinking that it was bad luck to buy a car with those initials. Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

This is about the 15 time I have seen this-very original.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Of course it's not original, it's just the way lots of people think. Wonder what their sales would be like if they weren't named Kia.

Names do matter. It's one reason Alfa Romeo changed the name of their 164 to 168 in the Asian market as the translation of the numbers meant all the way to death with the 164 and the 168 meant all the way to prosperity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_164

Originally Posted by CKN

Of course it's not original, it's just the way lots of people think. Wonder what their sales would be like if they weren't named Kia.

Names do matter. It's one reason Alfa Romeo changed the name of their 164 to 168 in the Asian market as the translation of the numbers meant all the way to death with the 164 and the 168 meant all the way to prosperity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_164

The KIA name doesn't have any negative connotations here in the U.S. In case you haven't heard-they are selling all the Tellurides they can make right now.

Originally Posted by CKN

The KIA name doesn't have any negative connotations here in the U.S. In case you haven't heard-they are selling all the Tellurides they can make right now.

As posted above, it can have negative connotations for US service members.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by CKN

As posted above, it can have negative connotations for US service members.

When I was working in Korea they put up a huge billboard announcing the all new K9
Laughed and told my coworker that the US sales VP will be blocking that name. ...œ
(K900 here?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

They are replacing engines and from a couple of boards i belong to, not giving any hassle in doing so.

Are the replacement engines " fixed " or just more of the same ?

girlfriend traded her oil burning 2.5 2013 malibu with 66 thou on it for a preowned 18 Kia 2.4L + its been GREAT!! a much better car IMO than her malibu that i drove from time to time. it gets the spec 30W oil + the Kia- Mahle filter!!

It's not just the 4 cylinder engines. Having owned a 6 cyl myself and visiting my mechanic friends shop last week while he was working on a clients I can tell you the 6 cyl have timing chain guide and tensioner issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back