Robocalls stopped for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The robocall volume has dropped significantly in recent weeks, but now I'm getting a barrage of scam/spam MMS text messages. It seems that regardless of what is done to stop them, the scammers are not going down without a fight.

Yep, no spam calls yet but got a text spam this am. Dang-at least I could not answer calls but almost need to look at a text. What was weird was when I set my phone to "Contacts Only" the spam calls still got thru, so that was useless.

I'll bet there is a lot of competition for the "Most Useless Federal Bureaucracy" - but in my opinion the bottom of the barrel is the FCC's department that handles unwanted robo calls and administers the hilarious "Do Not Call" list. Seriously, why are we paying for these people?

They stopped as the feds served a "stop this pooop" notice to the IP based phone providers who were routing the calls, then they did not and feds picked them up. Only time till they find new call routers.

Some broad named Sarah calls me three or four times a week about a medical bracelet she thinks I desperately can't do without. But the number of robo calls has decreased in the last few months.

For me they seemed to slack off a lot right at the first of the year. Almost as though some magic deadline had passed. They haven't stopped completely, though, I've gotten about 4-5 in the last week. Most seem to be about my "Google Business listing" if I listen enough to find out.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
For me they seemed to slack off a lot right at the first of the year. Almost as though some magic deadline had passed. They haven't stopped completely, though, I've gotten about 4-5 in the last week. Most seem to be about my "Google Business listing" if I listen enough to find out.

I still get the one from Chase bank credit card. I don't have their credit card. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work if I say I'm interested.

Originally Posted by rekit
Yep, no spam calls yet but got a text spam this am. Dang-at least I could not answer calls but almost need to look at a text. What was weird was when I set my phone to "Contacts Only" the spam calls still got thru, so that was useless.
MMS texts will always come through because they don't reveal the source, so your phone can't block them. That is the loophole that the scammers are taking advantage of. This is actually a much easier (and cheaper) thing for the scammers to do because they can fire-off one MMS text to hundreds of thousands of phone numbers simultaneously. I'm getting 5 or 6 of them a day now (verses "only" 1 or 2 robocalls now). This is going to get MUCH worse before the powers-that-be figure out how to stop them, mark my words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back