Better MPG with Exxon/Mobil Synergy Efficient Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a 6 hour trip from Albany to Rehoboth DE and got just over 20 mpg. Seems to be an increase over past trips and I attribute it to two things. One being cruise set to 65 and the diesel fuel I was using. The miles to empty at fill up was 502 which I have never seen. Normally its in the 4xx range and has been as low as 386.

I am sure the cruise control was part of it.

I have yet to determine the vehicle's calculation for the miles to empty to have it go all over the place.

Cruise control maybe not as much as keeping the actual overall speed down. I haven't noticed much difference in fuel brands and I commute 200 miles a day, filling up at the end of the third day.
Also, you need to use the manual method instead of relying on the electronic displays: miles run per gallons refilled. Done several times using the same pump with its auto-stop will start providing you with an accurate trend.

I have a noticeable .2 mpg increase through the Fuelie app when I ran the Synergy over 3 tanks. There are probably a few variables at play, it was mostly local driving, but I dont go out of my way to find it. Almost all of the XOM stations around are at least 25 cents more than any other name brand, and probablly 45 more than no name. US Gas is 2.69 near me, closest Mobil is 3.25. 30 gallons adds up.

Originally Posted by kschachn
How do you compensate for the natural variation in energy content of the diesel fuel, especially between summer and winter?

Winter should be worse mileage as they normally add kerosene to prevent gelling.

Originally Posted by Audios
I have a noticeable .2 mpg increase through the Fuelie app when I ran the Synergy over 3 tanks. There are probably a few variables at play, it was mostly local driving, but I dont go out of my way to find it. Almost all of the XOM stations around are at least 25 cents more than any other name brand, and probablly 45 more than no name. US Gas is 2.69 near me, closest Mobil is 3.25. 30 gallons adds up.

That is true that Exxon is the most expensive, especially 93 octane. There are not many Mobil station here but they are cheaper than Exxon, although they are the same company.

The better diesel has additives one being an additive to increase cetane. Cetane increases fuel economy. No mystery. The question is, do you run that fuel or buy regular fuel and add a quality additive like Optilube?

Originally Posted by littleboss
The better diesel has additives one being an additive to increase cetane. Cetane increases fuel economy. No mystery. The question is, do you run that fuel or buy regular fuel and add a quality additive like Optilube?

Only marginally though, correct? The energy density of the fuel has a much larger effect on fuel economy which is related to the specific blend being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back