VW coolant G12+ compatable G12++

Status
Not open for further replies.
I topped off my daughters 2017 jetta SE with some G12+ I had from previous audi p/n G012A8G1G. I didnt look at specification as what was in the car looked pink to me. Probably put 3-4 ounces in as it was slightly below minimum mark. Afterward I looked up and see that it calls for G12++ which supposidley is not compayable with G12+. I think I should be ok as I only added a small amount. Whar makes these two incompatable

Wow so it didn't call for G13? I thought all G12's were compatible, just improved formulas? This is ridiculous.. I just bout a 2013 TDi and am starting to really get perturbed of VW's specs for unobtainable fluids....

507 spec oils, good luck!
G12+++++ coolant
DSG tans fluid, dealer only $25 a qt!

Hope this helps..

[Linked Image]

Despite having been flamed in the past, I still think vehicles use pretty much the same materials in their engines. So, any modern antifreeze should suffice. It's when mixing them you can run into troubles.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Wow so it didn't call for G13? I thought all G12's were compatible, just improved formulas? This is ridiculous.. I just bout a 2013 TDi and am starting to really get perturbed of VW's specs for unobtainable fluids....

G12+++++ coolant

I mean, they've been using G12++ for over 10 years now. It's not like it's exactly new. I agree that keeping the names and color so similar (G12+ /G12++) was pretty stupid, but this isn't exactly a hard-to-find fluid.

And most transmissions use proprietary fluids these days--and there are plenty of DSG fluids available: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-dsg-transmission-service-kit-02e305051ckit

No offense intended, but I think it's a lot of hand-wringing over nothing. If you're able to read this forum, you should be able to order the correct oil, coolant and transmission fluid pretty easily and inexpensively.

I just needed some for my 18 Passat, the reservoir was marked G12. There were a few offerings available at parts stores but it was confusing mumbo jumbo so I just went to the dealer instead. They sold me a jug of G13 and showed me the screen where it was listed as correct for my vehicle by VW, and it is supposed to be backwards compatible.

The 2018 takes G12++ or G13 not G12, they probably left the ++ off the cap. G13 is 100% compatible.

[Linked Image]

VW TL 774 J VW Coolant Spec

This coolant was used in VW model years 2008-present
Compatible with all cooling systems from 1980-percent.
Compatible with all G11, G12+, G12++ coolants.

Formal Factory Approved Audi VW TL 744-J G13 coolant antifreeze type.
This coolant is also used in Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley, Skoda, Seat.

Originally Posted by raaizin
I topped off my daughters 2017 jetta SE with some G12+ I had from previous audi p/n G012A8G1G. I didnt look at specification as what was in the car looked pink to me. Probably put 3-4 ounces in as it was slightly below minimum mark. Afterward I looked up and see that it calls for G12++ which supposidley is not compayable with G12+. I think I should be ok as I only added a small amount. Whar makes these two incompatable

Your 2017 Jetta should spec G13 not G12++, as G13 was introduced more than ten years ago now to be used across the whole range.

However G12++ and G13 Have the Same corrosion inhibitors, the only difference is that G12++ is 100% Ethyene Glycol, G13 is 80% Ethylene Glycol and 20% Glycerin.

G12+ and G12++ are perfectly compatible too, G12+ is an OAT and G12++ is a HOAT With Silicates but they are compatible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds

G12+++++ coolant

To add to even further confusing VW has yet again changed their coolant, from late 2019 all new VWs come with G12 Evo! a newfangled HOAT coolant made by Glysantin with Silicates and Phosphates.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
All Audi VW "G" coolants are compatible. G13 is the newest formulation.

Nope

G11 and G12 are not, if you mix them you will get the same kind of result as mixing Conventional Green with Dexcool.

G13 was the newest formulation, now they have a new one called G12 Evo, i'm not sure wether all new VWs come with it or some are still on G13.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by dlundblad
All Audi VW "G" coolants are compatible. G13 is the newest formulation.

Nope

G11 and G12 are not, if you mix them you will get the same kind of result as mixing Conventional Green with Dexcool.

G13 was the newest formulation, now they have a new one called G12 Evo, i'm not sure wether all new VWs come with it or some are still on G13.

We were talking about G12. I should have been more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back