1991 Land Cruiser FJ80

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

Owner had rear tires worn down, front tires new, we're seeing 8 inches in 10 rotations LR and 6 inches in 10 rotations RR difference from front tires. Not good, seems to have done some driveline damage.

Put two new tires on the back same brand and size as new fronts, seems to be a lot better but center diff whines under load, front diff chatters and bumps a little turning in reverse.

Factory recommended lube is just regular old gear oil, GL-5 SAE 90.

Not looking for a miracle in a bottle, but is there any lubricant that will work better in these differentials?

Open diffs? Then regular ol' 80w90 is good.Different size tires are bad for diffs. maybe go thicker on TC to see if it quiets down. If the TC has a chain ,can you check it for slack? On my old Wags any deflection over 3/4" was a bad sign.
grin2.gif

It's old enough that anything could have happened over the past 29 years but I think the front and rear diff are probably stock, I will check next time it's on the lift. Likely yes, open front and rear, this one has the electric (3 relays) locking center diff.

4 speed automatic transmission seems to be in pretty good shape. Shifts hard into 4th gear unless you really have your foot in it, I'm wondering if it's just a little goo around the spring behind the ball, this one has been sitting a long time.

What doesTC stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back