Gas price spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a post on flop book talking about gas,octain and prices. Some people were saying that premium was $1.00 a gallon more in some places. Here it's not much more.

I took this pic 45 min ago.

IMG_20200220_183605.jpg

In Ohio, it's $0.60 more for premium (and $0.30 for mid-grade). I remember when it was a $0.10 increment and no, this was decades ago. This big jump seemed to have occured in the past ~10 years or less, if I'm not mistaken.

Here's one example:
[Linked Image]

Yeah, CA just has super high gas prices. The cheap place near me is $2.31 for regular and $2.67 for super and that's 93. Gas buddy reports the cheapest in my area is $2.15 for regular and $2.49 for super, but it's a bit too far to make it worthwhile for me.

Kansas City area price difference is between 40 and 50 cents/gal. QuikTrip, one of the two largest retailers in the metro is at 50 cents. Some select stations are lower than 40, but they can be hard to find.

NE Ohio. its commonly 60cents
sams club is usually 50cents

some stations can be $.70+ even over a dollar

I read somewhere that 93 octane "premium" costs around 10cents more than 87 to produce.
many stations now only have signs for regular gas and "easy pay" "quick pay" "advantage pay"
so you cant find the 92/93 octane price until you look at the pump.

today
So one station is 2.29 premium is 2.89 (26%)
another station is 2.18 premium 3.06 (40%)
by percentage that is a whopping price "premium" for premium gas.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by blufeb95
In Central Indiana, it's like 60 cents at the cheap stations, 70 cents at Phillips, 80 cents at shell.

Same in my area ^^^^^^^^^

My car gets 93... I'm ok with it... Though that big spread started happening after Hurricane Katrina...

OP is already paying 51% more than me I pay $2.31/gallon for regular with some local places as low as $2.20.

Originally Posted by wdn
OP is already paying 51% more than me I pay $2.31/gallon for regular with some local places as low as $2.20.

CA is well known to have some of the highest gas prices in the nation. It basically requires boutique fuels for different areas so there's a limited supply and you can't just import the fuel from different areas of the country because it doesn't meet local EPA requirements.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by blufeb95
In Central Indiana, it's like 60 cents at the cheap stations, 70 cents at Phillips, 80 cents at shell.

Same in my area ^^^^^^^^^

My car gets 93... I'm ok with it... Though that big spread started happening after Hurricane Katrina...

Interestingly enough it was still only like 20 cents different back in 2013, but gas in general was pretty high then.
[Linked Image]

up until about 6 years ago, it was almost universally a 10 cent spread between grades. now it's almost universally 30 cents.(so Premium is 60 cents more than regular)

the main exceptions to that were/are BP, and Circle K(which the Circle K's we have started as BP's)
back in the olden days, the BP Spread was 10 cents Reg-Mid, and 11 cents Mid-Prem , and now, The Circle K's are 30 cents Reg-Mid, and 35 cents Mid-Prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back