Ford F150 2015+ 5.0 Actually Have Tighter Clearances [or 5w20 Just for CAFE? ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear those that are against using 5w30 state that newer Fords have tighter clearances. But then they never advise what the old/new clearance difference are. I do not know much of clearances but would be most interesting to find out.

(1.) Is it verifiable that ford clearances have changed/tightened ( in particular ford 5.0 2015+ ).

(2.) Is thinner oil 5w20 required for tighter clearances so the oil can get in between better and pump up a better hydrodynamic wedge?

I still suspect its all mostly just for CAFE but would like to hear from anyone with engine building experience/knowledge of the specs on the items above.

regards,

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The now obsolete 4.6 V8 would last hundreds of thousands of miles using bulk 5W20 dinosaur oil.

And would do the same running 10w30.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
The now obsolete 4.6 V8 would last hundreds of thousands of miles using bulk 5W20 dinosaur oil.

Or baby oil for that matter.... what a beast of an engine (maybe not power wise...).

I even ran 15w40 in a couple f-150's for a few OCI.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger

5W-30

the coyote is a very high revving motor, truth be told the tolerances are probably on the loose side. In the Mustang the manual specifically states using 5w50 for "track use" so a "thicker" oil will do no harm.

If a little thicker oil couldn't get through engine clearances no engine would ever survive a winter.

Originally Posted by hatt
If a little thicker oil couldn't get through engine clearances no engine would ever survive a winter.

True true indeed hatt....

I think it's just fine to run a 0w16, 0w20, 5w20 in vehicles meant to run that in them...

I would also say that the VQ motor that specd a 5w30 in my generation of VQ then changed to a 0w20 was and is a bit peculiar... And if I owned a newer VQ motor and I was driving it kind of hard a good bit of the time... I'd run a 5w30 in say a 2017, 2018 etc Maxima with a VQ 3.5 motor in it.... But if one typically is doddling around in that same car same VQ motor in it... A 0w20 would be just fine I'd bet too.

Can't be a clearance issue. Remember when FORD back spec'd to 5W20 from 5W30? I think it was the 4.6. It's strictly for CAFE.

My daughters 2002 3.0 vulcan was back speced to 5w20. it has been on a steady diet of 5w30 Citgo for 65 000 miles since we acquired it with 50 k on it in 2008 and our freestyle has run a 100 k on 5w30

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fallguy

I still suspect its all mostly just for CAFE but would like to hear from anyone with engine building experience/knowledge of the specs on the items above.

regards,

why is this discussion still going on? seriously, ford switch to 20 weight oils 20 years ago.

sure, better fuel economy was certainly a factor in the decision. So what?

Originally Posted by JOD

why is this discussion still going on? seriously, ford switch to 20 weight oils 20 years ago.

Ford and GM switched. I just didn't!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I first used M1 5-20 in 1978 because it performed so well compared to 10-40. For the last 3 Fords I have owned (total of 512K) I have used M1 20 wt oils with very good results.

The theory that clearances are actually relevant in the selection of a viscosity of motor oil is somewhat suspect.

Basically viscosity selection comes down to a matter of optimizing and balancing upper versus lower-end wear, and making sure the engine can start in the winter and doesn't destroy its lubricant in the summer. And a few other considerations.

I cannot speak to Ford's MO but for Subaru they specifically recommend 0w-20 in most of their vehicles strictly for CAFE and not even for fuel economy based on tge language I have seen them use. It is all about lowering carbon emissions for Subaru, it would not surprise me if other automakers were of the same mindset.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Clearances are virtually unchanged. On the 2011 5.0 the crank bearing clearance is .025-.045mm and the 2020 5.0 is .025-.045mm.

That blows the bearing clearances changed myth we hear from time to time for those engines right out of the water..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back