Gold (brass?) flecks in drained Honda ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TNM6i
No external filter that I'm aware of. I think there's an internal filter, but it's only accessible when dropping the pan. Honda does not prove a maintenance interval or recommendation for changing the ATF filter. If I keep the car past the power train warranty (another 8k miles) I might consider dropping the pan and changing the filter.

There might be one if I entered your vehicle correctlly.

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...utomatic--at-oil-level-gauge-atf-pipe-v6

Certainly does look like it. I can't recall seeing any mention of it on the Accord forums. Might be worth replacing just for peace of mind.

Certainly does look like it. I can't recall seeing any mention of it on the Accord forums. Might be worth replacing just for peace of mind.

And they can pretty easily be cut open. Would be worth a look, if you find it.

Originally Posted by MarkM66

Definitely will be hacking into it. I just saw a thread on the Accord forum about the filter for the 6AT and it's indeed a thing, just not mentioned by Honda. One theory is that it's only really there to catch the break-in debris then go into bypass. A little concerning then that mine still has particulate swimming around.

Originally Posted by MarkM66

Definitely will be hacking into it. I just saw a thread on the Accord forum about the filter for the 6AT and it's indeed a thing, just not mentioned by Honda. One theory is that it's only really there to catch the break-in debris then go into bypass. A little concerning then that mine still has particulate swimming around.

It is. Please let us know what you find.

No external filter that I'm aware of. I think there's an internal filter, but it's only accessible when dropping the pan. Honda does not prove a maintenance interval or recommendation for changing the ATF filter. If I keep the car past the power train warranty (another 8k miles) I might consider dropping the pan and changing the filter.

You definitely have an external filter on your Accord. Follow the cooler lines on the trans ... you'll find it. Might have to be on a lift, I'm not sure. The Honda part number is: 25430-PLR-003 Retails for about $40, you can buy wholesale from some of the big OEM Honda parts wholesalers (like Bernardi) for $33-$34.
Good luck.

big particles like that I'd think would settle to the bottom and sit. I have seen sparkles like that come out of transmissions before, including older hondas. I agree, it's more likely from the first 50 miles of use. If they start producing that all of the sudden out of nowhere, you'll know why really soon.

The older honda transmissions usually just had a screen pickup, though newer designs have varied. The newer CVTs have an internal paper element I've read; I think the early 2000's 5-spds had an "internal" filter that was replaceable but not advertised. We have several automatic hondas in the family and not one has had a trans issue. There's a civic that has passed 350,000 miles and is just now becoming a 2nd car instead of a DD. We like our hondas.

-m

UPDATE: I did another dump and fill today and there was far less glittery particulate in the drain pan this time. Either I got most of the break-in residue out the first time, or there's excessive wear that cuased the initial amount and the short interval just didn't allow enough time for as much to collect. I found the filter location and I'll be changing it ASAP. I'm debating doing another dump and fill at that time. I may have to do it anyway as the drain plug was seeping a bit. I flipped the crush washer over this time and hopefully got it handled. Awaiting results from Blackstone.

UPDATE: I did another dump and fill today and there was far less glittery particulate in the drain pan this time. Either I got most of the break-in residue out the first time, or there's excessive wear that cuased the initial amount and the short interval just didn't allow enough time for as much to collect. I found the filter location and I'll be changing it ASAP. I'm debating doing another dump and fill at that time. I may have to do it anyway as the drain plug was seeping a bit. I flipped the crush washer over this time and hopefully got it handled. Awaiting results from Blackstone.

Wow, keep us updated, I hope it was just a fluke and there is no problem and it was an improperly cleaned housing.

I'd bet it was just the break in material... It definitely sounds very good that the fluid was much clearer... My car did the same thing after I had a lot of silver shimmery materials in it... The next drain and refill was totally normal with no materials in the CVT oil...

I have received the report from Blackstone. Doesn't really confirm anything, but seems to give credence to the theory of the particulate being from wear-in and factory-fill. I may send in another sample on the next dump and fill in about 10k miles or so.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back