Next Tesla OTA Update - Street Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much more than electric...

tesla street light.jpg

Couldn't you just look out the windshield at the lights?

Those are called stop lights. Street lights illuminate the roadway at night to enhance primitive human visual navigation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
What exactly am I looking at and what is the point of it?

This is a screen shot of a Tesla Model 3 interior tablet road screen.
The blue car is the Tesla, the other vehicles are the surrounding vehicles.
Road cones and other objects will be displayed as well.

The next update will include stop lights.
This is the next step in full self driving cars.

If you have never been in one, here is a video.
Tesla Model 3 Tablet

Last edited:
So the screen shows you there is a stop light outside your window in front of you?
Or is it that there is a stop light ahead?
Or does it show the color of the light?

I still fail to see the point of it.

I'm willing to bet that out of those 1000 deaths, quite a few were the result of seeing the red light but intentionally going through it regardless that it's red.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'm willing to bet that out of those 1000 deaths, quite a few were the result of seeing the red light but intentionally going through it regardless that it's red.

Id guess it would be 50/50 intentionally blowing it - or some kid or clown texting/ looking at their phone.

Either way the fact that the car can not only be aware of the light, but also what state it may be in is pretty amazing and as far as I know - unique.

Love seeing American tech leading the world automotive scene again.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
We are all born with the stop light detection system already.

Just another Tisla gush thread.

This is the next step in self driving vehicles and improving driving safety in general.
The Tesla tech is years ahead of any other manufacturer.
Tesla has billions of miles of Auto Pilot data.
Recognizing signs, stop lights, etc. is critical for AP and self driving vehicles.

You might notice the double lines on the left and the single line on the right.
The Tesla see cones and bicycles.
Bike Riders

We may be born with stop light detection, but our cars are not.
We may miss seeing the light or not react safely due to human error.
With proper software, accidents due to driver error will be reduced greatly.
Then perhaps our insurance costs will be reduced as well.
Not to mention drunks killing people while driving the wrong direction.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
So the screen shows you there is a stop light outside your window in front of you?
Or is it that there is a stop light ahead?
Or does it show the color of the light?

I still fail to see the point of it.

The car recognizes and interprets objects. Cars, trucks, traffic signals, lane markings, cones, bike riders, etc.
Yes, it sees the color of the light and reacts.

The point is improved safety and a step in autonomous car development.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
We are all born with the stop light detection system already.

Just another Tisla gush thread.

And no matter who is driving, a person is lying if they say they are 100% focused the entire time they're driving. Plus, a human can only see reliably in one direction at a time. Peripheral vision is nice but it's not the same as looking straight on. An autonomous car or even a semi-autonomous car could see 360º around, 100%, all the time, and process everything.

Apple Maps already shows all the stop lights on the map as I navigate.

My son's car already has automatic braking, pedestrian detection, lane change assist, blind spot detection, cross traffic detection, and adaptive cruise control. Its a 2020 Subaru Impreza with EyeSight.

Of course my perfect driving record proves I have never missed a red light, accidentally or otherwise...
My human stop light detection is flawless!
I should dump wifey's stupid Tesla. Ha!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Of course my perfect driving record proves I have never missed a red light, accidentally or otherwise...
My human stop light detection is flawless!
I should dump wifey's stupid Tesla. Ha!

Of course no person or system is perfect - especially still in it's early development. But if the system detects a red light ahead and the driver is still on the gas, who is supposed to win, the driver or the system? Right now we know that while smart cruise control systems is supposed to give way to driver input, if the system wins and it catches the drive off-guard then how will they react to the sudden braking?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

Of course no person or system is perfect - especially still in it's early development. But if the system detects a red light ahead and the driver is still on the gas, who is supposed to win, the driver or the system? Right now we know that while smart cruise control systems is supposed to give way to driver input, if the system wins and it catches the drive off-guard then how will they react to the sudden braking?

You hit the nail on the head.
Tesla has sold hundreds of thousands of cars with AP; the car's software updates Tesla's database used for analysis and development.
The database has billions of miles of driving. There are continuous OTA updates based on what they have learned.
The years and miles of data are why Tesla is so far ahead of any other car maker, in additional ways beyond AP.

Where will it end up? Statistics tell us human error is at least a factor in 95% of auto accidents.
At face value, this would favor software as the better decision maker.
But for now, I believe improved warning to dangerous situations offers huge benefit.

Referring to the red light picture, a beep or whatever could serve to warn a motorist to get their eyes off their iPhone and pay attention to the road.
The pedestrian in the cross way thanks you...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn

My son's car already has automatic braking, pedestrian detection, lane change assist, blind spot detection, cross traffic detection, and adaptive cruise control. Its a 2020 Subaru Impreza with EyeSight.

Not remotely equivalent.

Apple maps shows there is a stoplight because someone manually updated a map to put it there.
There is no connection to the car, and the map doenst know the state of the light. the map is "dumb" as is the car.
The map's goal is to make YOU aware so YOU can do something about it.

If the city put a stop sign or new light in your normal route your map wouldn't know it until apple updated the map then it MIGHT include that change.

The Tesla would "see" sign or light AND detect its state so your texting kid, or confused aged grandma would get some assistance from the car.

My parents have a 2019 Bru with the same suite.
My 2017 Honda has automatic braking, lane change assist, blind spot detection, cross-traffic detection, and adaptive cruise control - its called Honda sensing.
Neither system works nearly as well as the tesla suite, and they aren't likely to get better.

Honda has made exactly zero refinements to the suite since I've bought the car - and if they did I'd have to take it in for a reflash.

Even if you are lucky to get an improvement on something - you can't ever look forward to getting anything new.

Tesla regularly updates both it's feature set and algorithms over the air vs a trip to the dealer and the car simply gets better and better over time.

UD

Originally Posted by wdn

Cars have become far safer through technology. That's huge...
Heck, I believe every Honda except the Fit comes with the excellent Honda sensing now.
But Tesla's technology is years, some studies say 6 years at least, ahead of any other car maker.
There is no other car that sees traffic signals, cones, bike riders, etc. in real time and can react to them.

Our $60K Lexus RX 450h pales in comparison to the Model 3 from a tech standpoint.
Please take no offense, but so does any Subaru. And Subies are great cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back