I'm hoping it is the battery. 2016 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I try to start my car I get the solenoid chattering. Eventually it will start turning over slowly then it speeds up and fires. When I jump or charge the battery, it starts normally. Battery is a JC made for Toyota. I'm guessing original. It has bad connection internally. If it turns out to be the starter or a loose connection, meh, 5 yrs out of a battery isn't so bad. I din't trade it in for the core though, I replaced it with a Maxx 725 CCA
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like a battery issue, but it eventually starting doesn't fit a typical battery charge issue.
The initial attempt to start may be "waking up" the battery giving you enough charge to crank and then start the car.

Very often this is a bad connection at the battery terminals. Replacing the battery whether it needed to be or not will usually solve it. You could load test the old battery.

Next time there are a few simple tests that can be done to diagnose if it is the battery, connections, or the starter.

Last edited:
I cleaned the terminals until they were bright. I s'pose it could be the solenoid/ starter or a loose connection, But the battery connections are clean and tight.
grin2.gif

I had factory batteries on a Nissan (Xterra 08) and a Holden (Pontiac G8 GT 09) die around the 3 yr Mark. The G8 forums noted a number of battery failures around 3 yrs so maybe your Toyota caught it also. The Holden battery came from Italy. Don't recall the origin for the Nissan.

If you don't have a battery charger/maintainer now is a good time to get one. In addition to extending the life of the battery, it can provide clues. Like how well it starts after a charge, if the battery can hold a charge, etc.

I 'tested' the suspect battery by using it to jump the Rat. I took the + cable off it's battery and hitched the suspect+ to it.Ground to ground of course. Starting voltage was 12.45. The Rat's fender mounted solenoid started chattering so loudly, I could barely hear the starter try to turn. Cables were warm and they were short and fat ,designed for 6 volt cars. Quit before something broke. Voltage down to 10.45 V. About what it'd be if it had a dead cell. So I'm happy, so far, anyway
grin2.gif

Looks like you got lucky then. Although from the looks of it the starter is not hard at all. Remove the air box junk and it's right there in front of you. Wish I could say the same about my other 'Yota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back